Live from the stand thread

Orange Army reports to duty at day brake tomorrow.

Except for those who start tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Missouri always had rifle season during peak rut?

Oklahoma always has it week of Thanksgiving and historically best hunting here is the week before with a bow...by rifle season it is very tail end...

Has Missouri always had rifle season during peak rut?

Oklahoma always has it week of Thanksgiving and historically best hunting here is the week before with a bow...by rifle season it is very tail end...

Since the 70's I believe. Last year MDC proposed moving It to the week of thanksgiving so kids and working folks had more time to hunt. I voted in favor but at the town hall meetings folks were pretty against it. Rifle hunting the rut is bigger than the Fourth of July around here.

I guess if it's what the majority wants I'll deal with it, I'm the minority.

Off topic but here some fun footage our youth hunters put together.

Cool video.

Even like the tree rat shot.

I know who the K is, who is the D in D&K productions.

His cousin who is 1 day older. He killed the 155 last year. They wont take a shot without the self film cam in frame. Way beyond my skill level.
What do they use for filming?

I smoked a fattie last night, rut seems like it's ended. The big bucks are out there, just aren't moving real good. Doe control won't take care of itself, and I won't be able to do everything during gun season.

Gun tower is a sony cam on a tripod. Bowstand is a triple arm swing gadget. They shoot 305 fps bows and every deer string jumps. They are good to 500 yards with rifles, 200 with ml. They have taken more deer in 10 years that took me 30 to do. My bowhunt last week was complete the first hour when my son dumped his 3rd book buck. Only 2 bucks they will take during gun. We are blessed.
I noticed that in the video with slow motion and lighted nocks. Pretty cool to see. All bowhunters should see and be aware of that.

Doohh, I just missed my chance.

Last evening of bow before rifle and Fat Albert from this thread http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/i-like-em-with-small-racks-and-a-few-extra-pounds.4520/

Was just standing broadside, I was full draw. Hit my bow mounted range finder and it said 37 yards. Albert was looking at me cause he saw me draw.

I just didn't want to risk it. 30 yards on a calm day is my effective range.

I tip my hat to you. Many would have let one fly, and the results likely would be disappointing.

I tip my hat to you. Many would have let one fly, and the results likely would be disappointing.

You are right. Guys get antsy and force shots like that. Kudos to Bill for not taking the shot..two thumbs up.

Heading to my stand... still bow season here in Oklahoma for another week. 33 degrees, 4 mph S wind. Not ideal and I can't hunt where I really want to (deep woods on pine ridge at pinch points at end of hollows) so I will hunt that Durana plot with waterhole back in the woods....

Good luck to everyone!

6d6cfaa2b974a798d96e00de64d729ad.jpg

Humped it all the way back to my stand and right when I got there a big deer snorted and crashed away through the woods. Sounded like he hit everything on the way out...

Got into my tree and about 2 minutes after I got settled I witnessed a bobcat catching a rabbit near the corner of the clover. Too dark for pictures.

@ 6:57 this small spike strolled in, got 2 mouthfuls of clover, put his nose to the ground and headed off on the trail of something...

Truck had 22 degrees on the drive this morning. Turkeys are going nuts and have seen one deer so far.

Good lucky guys.... This seems like the 100th day we've had south winds this fall (exaggerating). I feel like I've burned my south wind stands out. I should be out there right now, but just can't find the ambition. Maybe tonight?

-John

Thanks guys. I just didn't see hitting the release as something that had a good chance of turning out well.

The orange army
Is on duty. My neighbor doesn't hunt anymore but let's everyone and their brother on his place.

I've spent all morning watching Santa still hunt a CRP field.

Right now he is sitting in a white lawn chair on a raised platform.

Watch him connect.

e6cc6517a6faff54bb39325b672548fd.jpg

Have seen 3 small bucks and 2 doe fawns... A spike is drinking and die fawns eating. After he got done drinking he ran them around and around and then they all left...

Momma must be locked down...

Good lucky guys.... This seems like the 100th day we've had south winds this fall (exaggerating). I feel like I've burned my south wind stands out. I should be out there right now, but just can't find the ambition. Maybe tonight?

-John

Seems like no matter what forecasted wind we get it seems to always blow out of the east this fall which is highly unusual...

Genius!

I would never have thought about using the white chair as a wind block/gun rest.

6ebe40bd0977a0be0abd9856224263d5.jpg

c6a85fd1c6bbccc4db12c96cc8f27236.jpg

5717688973d4eacda4c077820aed5466.jpg

I am an idiot... I was drawn on this buck at 25 yards and passed him up... Thick racked 9 point!

Seen 4 shooters since I last posted. Got a hot doe in the woods across my plot...

Dang it I should have packed a lunch.

Now he's laying it the grass 50 yards from me.

933fb1e1dde8e0e53877ee1762edf5cd.jpg

d1782adffaf2da06e8831bb8927e3a35.jpg

5717688973d4eacda4c077820aed5466.jpg

I am an idiot... I was drawn on this buck at 25 yards and passed him up... Thick racked 9 point!

Seen 4 shooters since I last posted. Got a hot doe in the woods across my plot...

Think of it as catch and release. :D

Dang it I should have packed a lunch.

Now he's laying it the grass 50 yards from me.

d1782adffaf2da06e8831bb8927e3a35.jpg

Looks like big beams and no points?