Live from the stand thread

Back in the saddle, who else is out there? I've got my wnw wind @6mph, and rain went through last night. I'll b in stand till winds hit 20

Good luck. Cutting my deer and sipping chocolate milk now. Hoping to get back out tomorrow.

I'm at work reading / replying to this thread on the laptop.

If AccuWeather is correct we will have 22mph winds at 9am and 30mph winds at noon. 43mph wind gusts.

The doe w triplets is coming into estrous,and she is looking for attention. She is playing the tail game. She walked up to the wide 10 flapping her tail, and he walked away. I rattled to try to steer him and only got her attention. She investigated the rattle and went back towards him.
This place is going to erupt tonight! She will be bred tomorrow.
Her triplets are bedded 60 yards from me in a hinge pocket.

Finally got back out this a.m before the wind gets too wid again. Had a decent 4x5, average mass, decent tine length, but narrow get within killing range but my shots were always obstructed by vegetation. Hunting public land so I cant get caried away clearing shooting lanes. All he had to do was duck under the barb wire fence and come up the trail like all his relation, he would have been broadside at 16 yards, but he decided he couldnt fit under the fence. He half heartedly tried twice. They cant jump the fence easily as it is at the top of a fairly steep bank. Turned and went back the way he came. One last try tomorrow morning before gun season starts.

Last edited:
Back to work for a couple days... Back at it Saturday morning. Yesterday it was 75 degrees with 50 mph wind gust. Today it is calm and not getting out of 50's and frost tonight and 50's tomorrow... If a person could hunt here next 2 days I think they would be in the middle of it!!!

Heard a buck thrashing brush louder than a tree that fello_O
That tree freaked me out alittle so I bailed. Grabbing some chow and I'm headed back out for more. I've got a doe on the verge of estrous, I gotta get out there!

They are definitely moving today. My pops saw a 140"ish, and two friends had bucks in their yards this afternoon.
5532e3d42829c16f1c9431afe7eee81a.jpg

I'm all set up in a gun stand, with multiple trails within 20 yards.
The wide ten and doe were in here this morning
fd067549f4554150a5de64e0a00d42f7.jpg

Just need some of that luck!

Watched 2 bucks running a doe hard through the switchgrass. Then had a small 6 in my backyard with his tongue hanging out. I walked with in 20 yards of him an he just walked away stiff legged.

30 to 35 mph sustained this afternoon. I'm going to a gun shooting box with Windows.

A does estrous cycle doesn't revolve around windy weather. A buck only cares about that one thing right now.
I tell my wife a rut crazed buck will run right through our kitchen to reproduce.
I have to keep my shots within 20 in this wind. I should of put more nails in this piece of tin on the roof:eek:

I won't enter my woods now till opening morning of gun. Be curious what I find on cam then. Good luck out there.

I won't enter my woods now till opening morning of gun. Be curious what I find on cam then. Good luck out there.
When does your gun season begin? Ours is the 21st...

I pee'd my self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic but here some fun footage our youth hunters put together.

That may very well represent as many deer as I've shot in my entire life. Sweet video.

-John

I pee'd my self.

Sounds a little breezy... When ya gotta go, ya gotta go! :)

-John

Worked too late Wednesday and missed the buck I have been holding out all season for by an hour. I think he knew that was the one day I chose to work later. Sat yesterday morning where I thought I might see him again and saw zip.

I thought I had a really good video of a decent 8 this morning but my special touch screen glove didn't activate the iPhone movie button. So instead, I was just an idiot watching a deer on his phone screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doohh, I just missed my chance.

Last evening of bow before rifle and Fat Albert from this thread http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/i-like-em-with-small-racks-and-a-few-extra-pounds.4520/

Was just standing broadside, I was full draw. Hit my bow mounted range finder and it said 37 yards. Albert was looking at me cause he saw me draw.

I just didn't want to risk it. 30 yards on a calm day is my effective range.

You made the right choice... You might have been able to stretch your range if he didn't know you were there, but with him looking at you not so much.

Bow season ends today? When does gun season start?

-John

Orange Army reports to duty at day brake tomorrow.

Except for those who start tonight.