Live from the stand thread

I’m about 8 feet high in a hedge tree overlooking a bottom. Its dead calm outside of a combine blasting soybeans behind me. Noise helped me set up quiet.
481a2343bcb5c630ceecd0ad398a7240.jpg

I took the backpack straps off after the picture, I already stand out enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am enjoying a few hours at the cabin on 13 acres before heading out at 5am for a conference in Springfield, MO. Unlike the September 15-17th opener, the hidey hole is green, which is saying something given the severe drought. I saw two nice scrapes in bow range from the stand. I saw one doe this sit.

IMG_3662.jpeg

My best action so far has come from the living room stand LoL. We cannot hunt on Sundays here in PA. but this morning a buck ran a couple of doe out the backyard and then again this afternoon I watched a really nice 7pt bird dog a doe for about 15 minutes before they headed out of sight past the wife’s box blind.

Congrats to your son. Good rack and many pounds of tasty venison. Healthy buck for sure.

Good shooting !

The longbow and I are enjoying a beautiful fall afternoon/evening sitting on the edge of a grapevine thicket. Only seen a flock of turkeys so far.IMG_20231024_175142542_HDR.jpg
Well the evening ended with the sighting of a couple of P&Y class chipmunks and a BC fox squirrel. No deer for me but the wife saw a couple out of her stand.

Last edited:
So the one and only time I went bow hunting this year(this past Saturday), I spied a nice dead white oak from my bow stand. So today, which was a slow day at work, rather then hunting the beginning of the rut, I chose to go cut down that tree, cut it up, and haul it out of the woods for firewood for next year.

Ya, I dont get it either. But while I had the chain saw in hand, I cleared a couple shooting lanes as well.

So the one and only time I went bow hunting this year(this past Saturday), I spied a nice dead white oak from my bow stand. So today, which was a slow day at work, rather then hunting the beginning of the rut, I chose to go cut down that tree, cut it up, and haul it out of the woods for firewood for next year.

Ya, I dont get it either. But while I had the chain saw in hand, I cleared a couple shooting lanes as well.
They say the sound of a chainsaw running is like a dinner bell to deer in some areas. I have seen a cornfield get picked and then less than 30 minutes after the guys leave for the day whether the equipment is still there or not the deer are piling into the field.

They say the sound of a chainsaw running is like a dinner bell to deer in some areas. I have seen a cornfield get picked and then less than 30 minutes after the guys leave for the day whether the equipment is still there or not the deer are piling into the field.

This is the case, but more late winter and spring. I can fire up the saw, and the deer are standing on their feet waiting for the tree to fall, they will even walk in as I am cutting the tree up and start eating the tree buds. You know they are hungry. I usually will drop a few a week from February through green up. That is usually more than enough wood for a year.

Telmark what is keeping you from US,if ever in Kansas holler

Telmark what is keeping you from US,if ever in Kansas holler

I work too much, and the government takes too much of my paycheck. Hopefully I can transition soon to a new career path that will offer more flexibility. Will let you know for sure.

Not how I wanted my hunt to go. I heard a weird sound and looked down to see my cam moving. Then saw the limb crack starting, so hurried to flip the safety off and fire my bolt into the ground.

There's a lifetime warranty on it but now I'm without just as things are supposed to start getting hot and heavy.
a54d4561452e75fe5e33bfcb812dbfc0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Not how I wanted my hunt to go. I heard a weird sound and looked down to see my cam moving. Then saw the limb crack starting, so hurried to flip the safety off and fire my bolt into the ground.

There's a lifetime warranty on it but now I'm without just as things are supposed to start getting hot and heavy.

Oh damn. That could've been a lot worse.

That stinks. They should give you a loaner. Tell them you're going to buy a new one of the same brand from cabelas then return it if they won't fix it fast. Trust me cabelas doesn't eat that. The mfg does. It's almost Halloween, time to be doing, not waiting....

No broken bow limbs (ouch!), but I did have a doe at 10 yards…however, this is a turkey hunt :-)
IMG_3690.jpegIMG_3691.jpeg

This should be a great hunting weekend for most of us, the front came through and the high temp for a few days is right now at 49 degrees. Go get em boys! I will be in a stand this afternoon and all day tomorrow.