Live from the stand thread

First sit of the year at my house just had a decent shower come through still too warm but figured why not..was in the stand 10 minutes when a doe popped out…plots looking decent too..already planning where to put more trees this fall/spring (as in closer to the stand)..closest one right now is 45 yards…C9C020F1-B92A-42C9-8E8B-640B7249E0AA.jpeg

Took advantage of the early doe season and the cool weather here in mo. Looks like chilli for the weekend and a little meat for the freezer. Wish they were a lot bigger here, not the same as north mo.20231006_174309_HDR.jpg

Took advantage of the early doe season and the cool weather here in mo. Looks like chilli for the weekend and a little meat for the freezer. Wish they were a lot bigger here, not the same as north mo.View attachment 58167
Congratulations on the harvest. I am looking forward to being back in a stand tomorrow…the cold front has them moving from what I am seeing on camera.

Took advantage of the early doe season and the cool weather here in mo. Looks like chilli for the weekend and a little meat for the freezer. Wish they were a lot bigger here, not the same as north mo.View attachment 58167

I don't know I see quite a few pots of chili right there.

Busted a doe group while entering the stand. I hoped others would come by, but no such luck. Beautiful day to hunt during Missouri’s new three day early antlerless season.
IMG_3591.jpeg

The one antlered buck passed by me. I want to see what he turns into. I saw a few more does and a couple bucks in the tall grasses. They come and go like ghosts in that.VideoCapture_20231007-185700.jpg

Sit two of the day was a “view from the stand of a stand.” Fortunately, this sit resulted in the harvest of a doe and the first harvest from the “repaired” stand that blew down during last winter’s storm and was moved to this new location. The Cuddeback on the lone tree in the field caught a picture of her minutes before the shot.

IMG_3599.jpeg
1.jpeg

Last edited:
2023 youth hunt almost done. 1st year out for botIMG_5674.jpegh of them. 1 grandson filled both his tags, the other hasn’t had a chance to shoot yet. Still all about the experience. And I think they are both hooked for life.
Mission accomplished!

IMG_5664.jpegIMG_5668.jpeg
71840875547__CB8D0B48-4525-47CE-A18F-85BA9714C11C.jpegIMG_5672.jpeg

2023 youth hunt almost done. 1st year out for botView attachment 58194h of them. 1 grandson filled both his tags, the other hasn’t had a chance to shoot yet. Still all about the experience. And I think they are both hooked for life.
Mission accomplished!

View attachment 58190View attachment 58191
View attachment 58193View attachment 58192
Nice!
And you have a south paw there. I've seen some left handed guys work the heck out of bolt with their left hand and get right back to shooting.

He is a damn good shot as well, but he is just a little slow to get the trigger pulled.

My other grandson that shot the 2 deer, while the deer were not monsters by any means, they both were heart shots, and went less then 5 feet. Both shots were about 30-50 yards.

They were less then enthusiastic about cleaning/processing the deer, but they both helped cut and package the meat.

Went out yesterday afternoon for the first time. Noticed a blind on the neighbors field that hasn't been there before. Messaged him to see if they were seeing anything as it was the Wis youth gun deer hunt and I assumed he was out with a nephew . He answered no idea what I was talking about. Turns out some yahoo was "teaching "his son the finer points of deer hunting,starting with the trespassing part.
Neighbor came out and they wouldn't leave! He decided not to escalate as obviously they were armed and instead sat in his truck 150 or so yards from them to try to keep deer off the field.
Low and behold he pulled back a bit and 3 bucks stepped out. Kid took a shot, and the old man then showed him the next important lesson, don't remember where the deer were when you shot. They walk down and look about 50 yards from where the deer were. At this point the old man taught maybe the most important lesson, don't look for.blood for more than 10 minutes and never ever bend over to actually look for blood. What an asshole.
I watched the whole thing through my binocs and got quite the kick out of it. My hunt was ruined but I didn't mind . Especially seeing as I watched the 3 bucks running away after the shot showing no sign at all that they were hit. They'll be back.
Neighbor went down today and looked where I told him the deer were and found no blood either. Dudes part blood hound so if he didn't find any theres none to find.
Good times.

Went out yesterday afternoon for the first time. Noticed a blind on the neighbors field that hasn't been there before. Messaged him to see if they were seeing anything as it was the Wis youth gun deer hunt and I assumed he was out with a nephew . He answered no idea what I was talking about. Turns out some yahoo was "teaching "his son the finer points of deer hunting,starting with the trespassing part.
Neighbor came out and they wouldn't leave! He decided not to escalate as obviously they were armed and instead sat in his truck 150 or so yards from them to try to keep deer off the field.
Low and behold he pulled back a bit and 3 bucks stepped out. Kid took a shot, and the old man then showed him the next important lesson, don't remember where the deer were when you shot. They walk down and look about 50 yards from where the deer were. At this point the old man taught maybe the most important lesson, don't look for.blood for more than 10 minutes and never ever bend over to actually look for blood. What an asshole.
I watched the whole thing through my binocs and got quite the kick out of it. My hunt was ruined but I didn't mind . Especially seeing as I watched the 3 bucks running away after the shot showing no sign at all that they were hit. They'll be back.
Neighbor went down today and looked where I told him the deer were and found no blood either. Dudes part blood hound so if he didn't find any theres none to find.
Good times.

That would have went totally different if I was your neighbor. No way I could have backed. Unless I had the troopers on the line and they told me to.

Full disclosure, his brother officially owns the land. He couldn't get a hold of him . We've been down this road before, without his brothers say the authorities won't do anything.
Around here most cops won't bother with trespassing and we only have 1 warden for this area and he won't bother with it either. Trespassers are a way of life here, we learn to deal with them on our own while trying not to escalate the situation. 4 years ago.inhad a guy shoot a buck right in front of me and the warden still wouldn't show. These guys think that because they had permission 20 years ago that they still do.

Full disclosure, his brother officially owns the land. He couldn't get a hold of him . We've been down this road before, without his brothers say the authorities won't do anything.
Around here most cops won't bother with trespassing and we only have 1 warden for this area and he won't bother with it either. Trespassers are a way of life here, we learn to deal with them on our own while trying not to escalate the situation. 4 years ago.inhad a guy shoot a buck right in front of me and the warden still wouldn't show. These guys think that because they had permission 20 years ago that they still do.

Where is this? Portland?

Se Wisconsin. Lol . Its odd I know but I see it with my own eyes.

I had that issue on a lease once. Went to a lawyer and he drew up legal documents that gave me full permission to prosecute for trespass on the lease. I doubt the warden would have honored it but the sheriff would have. Your neighbor may want to just talk to legal counsel about that.

I've already decided next trespasser I catch, my second call is to my lawyer so he can inquire with the prosecutor and sheriffs office.

Yeah I don't disagree. I've been guilty of being "easy" on them myself. I guess I just don't think it's worth the trouble, if that makes sense?

I had that issue on a lease once. Went to a lawyer and he drew up legal documents that gave me full permission to prosecute for trespass on the lease. I doubt the warden would have honored it but the sheriff would have. Your neighbor may want to just talk to legal counsel about that.

I've already decided next trespasser I catch, my second call is to my lawyer so he inquire with the prosecutor and sheriffs office.
I’ve decided I’m also suing civilly. I absolutely have a case, may not work but I’ll cost him a piss load of money to defend himself

There was something that came out several years ago where a landowner put up a sign"Deer Hunting $2000.00 Daily" so when he caught trespasser the courts could charge them restitution