Live from the stand thread

Opening Day, Missouri! This is what the food plant looks like. Planted Aug 15 with several days of rain forecast. Last rain Aug 10, not a drop since. I’m still happy to be in the stand.
IMG_3400.jpeg

Day two. It’s hot (mid 80s) and humid. The deer are taunting me, as the are on camera each day when I do go in for lunch. The string failed on the crossbow when uncocking, so I am using the 14 y.o. Mission setup. Practice at lunch at 30 yards was OK. Back to the stand.
IMG_3411.jpeg

I can’t wait to post in this thread beginning the first Saturday of November ! Y’all gonna be so jealous when I see my target buck ! 08110029.jpeg

While no venison filled the freezer, I did get a shot off at 40 yards that went over an old doe. Opening weekend has come and gone for me, and now I am looking forward to my next hunt, which will be mentoring seniors on a Field to Fork event. Here is one more view from the stand.

IMG_0256.jpeg

I’m not hunting this morning but am in my blind for a few minutes before I have to leave and take someone to a doctor appointment. Got here well after daylight and immediately saw 3 bucks feeding in a small plot 227 yards away. One was a mature 8 and the others looked to be 2 or 3 year olds. They have since left and disappeared into the nwsgs. Have only seen one doe, which is very unusual. Even this late the fog had a few low places blocked out.

Edit - just spotted the 3 bucks 200+ yards from where I first saw them. Now 285 yards from me. They are traveling together. Got a better look. I’m going to say two mature deer and one two year old.

Edit - it just hit me why I’m seeing fewer deer this morning. They are on white oaks right now. I have several but not that I can see from this vantage point. Here I see reds and swamp chestnut which drop later and regular chestnut oaks which have already dropped days ago. I do see some other oaks that might be dropping but whites blow them out of the water in terms of preference.

I guess I can add to this thread since I am "Live from my house" LOL I can glass one of my foodplots from my backdoor. Currently 2 does, 1 fawn and a 2.5 yr old buck with a drop tine and another buck that is probably 2.5 as well. The deer had been hitting the acorns recently but I am starting to feel like they have the majority of them cleaned up currently. Very light production year for acorns here, nothing like last year. The 2 bucks were lightly sparring, more or less just pushing each other around this morning. The droptine buck is a narrow racked deer and the drop tine which has some length will probably get busted off before long as it is pretty thin. I have yet to see a shooter buck this year on camera or out the back door. Weather is supposed to finally make a break for the better on Wednesday hopefully I will have the time to set in a stand.

Opening day on Saturday. Saw 3 ducks, 2 squirrels, and a groundhog in the AM. Did see a doe and 2 fawns in the evening. But damn it felt nice to be in a treestand again. Switched mainly to ladder stands this year. My dad is 71 and he won't admit it but I don't think he's too comfortable climbing ladders to get in lock ons. So I bought a few ladder stands to hopefully promote him not hunting out of the blind I have over the main food plot every time. It worked although he complained how uncomfortable the seat was in the ladder stand. Haha. Can't win. My tiny oats and rye plot too. Just threw the seed out in the smart weed/stilt grass., mowed it and sprayed it. Came up pretty nicely.

first day 1.jpgfirst day 2.jpgfirst day 5.jpgfirst day 4.jpgfirst day 3.jpg

Opening day on Saturday. Saw 3 ducks, 2 squirrels, and a groundhog in the AM. Did see a doe and 2 fawns in the evening. But damn it felt nice to be in a treestand again. Switched mainly to ladder stands this year. My dad is 71 and he won't admit it but I don't think he's too comfortable climbing ladders to get in lock ons. So I bought a few ladder stands to hopefully promote him not hunting out of the blind I have over the main food plot every time. It worked although he complained how uncomfortable the seat was in the ladder stand. Haha. Can't win. My tiny oats and rye plot too. Just threw the seed out in the smart weed/stilt grass., mowed it and sprayed it. Came up pretty nicely.

View attachment 57980View attachment 57981View attachment 57984View attachment 57983View attachment 57982
Is that path a deer trail? Looks picturesque my man

I had my first sit of the year this weekend and saw 20+ deer-more than I've seen any weekend or maybe month, let alone one sit.

19 deer in the field at one time, one shooter came in at last light on the opposite end of the field

Should be a good season!

IMG_5436.jpeg

I had my first sit of the year this weekend and saw 20+ deer-more than I've seen any weekend or maybe month, let alone one sit.

19 deer in the field at one time, one shooter came in at last light on the opposite end of the field

Should be a good season!

View attachment 57998
There looks like some older deer in the photo?

awesome

Is that path a deer trail? Looks picturesque my man
More or less. It's an old logging road that connects my neighbors and my properties. There is no traffic on it so the deer use it. There is a creek on the far side of it with high banks. It makes a nice pinch point. I throw rye and oats on it to hopefully draw them up from along the creek. It's about 35 yards to the trail at the creek and they're usually walking. Little far for a bow. I have a grapevine hanging where it meets my camp driveway and a food plot in the yard of the camp that they go to and come from.

I took three days of vacation to get in some blind-time, but had so many projects that this is my one and only time in the stand. I am enjoying a nice breeze and favorable winds.
IMG_0364.jpeg

They were moving tonight before dark. Only lost 8 degrees off of yesterday's high of 85. However, we had unsettled weather over night. Might have picked up .25 of an inch of rain. Wanted to hunt tonight but from 3pm on today we basically had zero wind. Wasnt willing to chance educating deer with that kind of wind. At sundown there was a smaller buck, a spike, 3 does and 2 fawns in the plot. Right at dark a couple of other bucks showed. Neither one of them was a shooter either, but they were a little bigger. I figured I was going to need to barricade the tree line on the right side. Where the yellowish tree on the right side is the deer are coming from the West onto the plot. I can put a stand there, but there wont be a safe wind to hunt it. Deer can and do potentially travel all sides of that tree. Want to "encourage" them to all enter the plot where the deer are on the left side of the picture. I have a stand on that corner. Priority for next year. Had a hunch they might do that to me, but I was hoping that they wouldn't. Big drop in temp coming tomorrow night through Saturday, with hopefully enough wind to hunt.
live from the house 104.jpg

First sit on the new farm tonight. Saw a buck that might be a shooter.

20 degree drop between today and tomorrow. Should be a lot of deer moving.

Attachments

• PXL_20231006_000850555.jpg
    PXL_20231006_000850555.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 34
Can't go live from the stand as I dont have cell signal, but I got the 1st hunt in this morning. A couple of bucks were in the what's left of the bean plot. The deer have stripped most of the leaves now. The better of the 2 bucks ate a couple of sorghum heads while I was watching him. They eventually went over to the far tree line where there are some oaks. I guess I will hang a stand over there this week sometime, I am afraid to hunt that far tree line though as deer can and do walk the other side of it as well. Bound to get winded if I hunt there. Tank was behind me the other direction. Had a doe, a yearling and a fawn come to the tank for a drink as well. I probably should dump another couple of loads of water into it before the rut gets here.

1st hunt 23.jpgtank spike buck.jpg