All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the stand thread

My 10 year old son, Chris, went on his 1st ever deer hunt this morning. He shot at 6:55 am, 22 degrees, snowing sideways. Very happy boy tonight. Made for a nice bday for me, and it was also the 1st opening morning I haven't hunted since i was his age.

View attachment 47373View attachment 47374

Congrats to the young hunter Mort, he has a future in this sport!

My 10 year old son, Chris, went on his 1st ever deer hunt this morning. He shot at 6:55 am, 22 degrees, snowing sideways. Very happy boy tonight. Made for a nice bday for me, and it was also the 1st opening morning I haven't hunted since i was his age.

View attachment 47373View attachment 47374
That is just awesome Mort!!

Last afternoon. I’m ending it in my favorite stand. Can’t hunt it without a south wind and it just so happens I have one.

B8F941AD-8468-4C11-ADD5-3F5B0341B633.jpeg

5 deerless hunts on public and I was getting worn out carrying a stand or stool back and forth over rough terrain. So decided to sit in the back of my 5 acres tonight.

There's an oak treeline and then a 50 yard wide marsh at the back of my property. On the other side of the marsh is a big hill covered in oaks. Spotted a deer walking down that hill, on a line that would cross the marsh onto my land.

Lost sight of it for a few minutes, until it popped up in the middle of the marsh. I could see antlers but couldn't tell the size. It fed on something in the marsh for a few minutes before finally moving again, with just 5 minutes of shooting time left. If it kept lollygagging it wouldn't arrive in time.

But then it appeared, standing at the top of the 10 foot bank on my side of the marsh. Finally had a good enough look to tell it was a nice one. It looked around cautiously for what seemed like forever, before stepping out into my plot with just a couple minutes to go.

I took the 40 yard shot and watched him run off. He stopped after about 50 yards and I shot again. He went a few more yards and dropped. Both shots turned out to be right where I aimed.

Biggest buck I've ever taken.
PXL_20221122_225531075.jpg
PXL_20221122_231806389.jpg

Congrats! You got a bruiser. Going to need a taxidermist!

5 deerless hunts on public and I was getting worn out carrying a stand or stool back and forth over rough terrain. So decided to sit in the back of my 5 acres tonight.

There's an oak treeline and then a 50 yard wide marsh at the back of my property. On the other side of the marsh is a big hill covered in oaks. Spotted a deer walking down that hill, on a line that would cross the marsh onto my land.

Lost sight of it for a few minutes, until it popped up in the middle of the marsh. I could see antlers but couldn't tell the size. It fed on something in the marsh for a few minutes before finally moving again, with just 5 minutes of shooting time left. If it kept lollygagging it wouldn't arrive in time.

But then it appeared, standing at the top of the 10 foot bank on my side of the marsh. Finally had a good enough look to tell it was a nice one. It looked around cautiously for what seemed like forever, before stepping out into my plot with just a couple minutes to go.

I took the 40 yard shot and watched him run off. He stopped after about 50 yards and I shot again. He went a few more yards and dropped. Both shots turned out to be right where I aimed.

View attachment 47436
View attachment 47437
Awesome, congratulations!

Short nose and huge neck. That guy is old.

View attachment 47436
View attachment 47437
Dang that’s a stud! Congrats

50 degrees, sunny, and the wind is calm. Polar opposite of Saturday and Sunday. Snow is melting fast.

Its only 42 by me, but the fawns were out and about today, nothing worth dragging out of the woods though.
Been cold for here. Saw a ton of does and fawns in stand yesterday, but bucks not making it out till right after shooting time stops. Funny how they know that.

Saw two doe tonight including the old nanny that I've been after for several years. Held to my self-imposed one doe limit and since I took one the last week of bow season and the rest of my hunting party wasn't here I let her walk. Great sense of accomplishment knowing I finally had her though if I wanted.