Live from the stand thread

Up until yesterday morning, I haven’t seen a deer worth hunting, so I haven’t even been in stand, or gotten excited about going out. I now have a decent 10 point that wandered my land Sunday night, yesterday morning, and mid day yesterday. I am hoping to get out this weekend, and see him live.
I just wish it was going to be colder this weekend. I'll bet today and tomorrow are good days.

Rained all morning, I got set up very close to bedding just after rain stopped. 25+ degrees cooler now than this point yesterday. Windy, will calm down a bit at the end maybe. Wind direction is juuust off enough I should get away with it. Feet are wet and freezing already but the odds seemed stacked in my favor, and fortune favors the bowed.
ebac5bcfee6b3e9fc43caef676003892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night(Monday) I had 4 does come out of the woods and head away from me. Then about 15 minutes later a small doe comes down the treeline and enters my plot. A couple minutes later a big 8 point comes following her. He enters the plot, checks her out, then starts feeding, facing directly towards me.

Seemed like forever but probably about 5 minutes later he turns to the right. He wasn't broadside but gave me a decent angle. Aimed just behind the shoulder and let it fly. He took off running, with the doe behind. About 50 yards away he starts slowing down and she passes him up. Then he stopped and stood for a couple minutes before going down.

Got down and checked the bolt and it was covered in nice red blood. I assumed he was dead, sat all my stuff down except for a couple knives and my drag. Walked over to him only to see him with his head up. I froze but too late, he hopped up and took off for the woods.

Checked where he was laying and there was only a small amount of blood. Figured I had blown it at this point and walked home. Of course it rained overnight enough to get rid of any blood trail. Got up an hour early for work and went out there and walked the treeline, but couldn't find any sign.

My stepson came over after work to help me search. After about a half hour I found him. He'd barely made it into the trees before dieing. I had walked by within about 20 yards this morning and didn't spot him. Shot was right where I had aimed.

First buck ever on our 5 acres, and largest bodied deer I've ever taken.
PXL_20221025_215443475.jpg
PXL_20221025_213101023.jpg

Last night(Monday) I had 4 does come out of the woods and head away from me. Then about 15 minutes later a small doe comes down the treeline and enters my plot. A couple minutes later a big 8 point comes following her. He enters the plot, checks her out, then starts feeding, facing directly towards me.

Seemed like forever but probably about 5 minutes later he turns to the right. He wasn't broadside but gave me a decent angle. Aimed just behind the shoulder and let it fly. He took off running, with the doe behind. About 50 yards away he starts slowing down and she passes him up. Then he stopped and stood for a couple minutes before going down.

Got down and checked the bolt and it was covered in nice red blood. I assumed he was dead, sat all my stuff down except for a couple knives and my drag. Walked over to him only to see him with his head up. I froze but too late, he hopped up and took off for the woods.

Checked where he was laying and there was only a small amount of blood. Figured I had blown it at this point and walked home. Of course it rained overnight enough to get rid of any blood trail. Got up an hour early for work and went out there and walked the treeline, but couldn't find any sign.

My stepson came over after work to help me search. After about a half hour I found him. He'd barely made it into the trees before dieing. I had walked by within about 20 yards this morning and didn't spot him. Shot was right where I had aimed.

First buck ever on our 5 acres, and largest bodied deer I've ever taken.
View attachment 46896
View attachment 46897
Congrats!
sounds like a fun hunt. I can't tell you how often we walk right by them only to come back later and find them.

7:25 this morning on the tail of a doe.
084a8a812e76c0492d225ef18f0f34a0.jpg

437e63117c8334cf16566cefab0863b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome buck, congrats! Looks like celebratory busche lattes and silver bullets are on the docket!

Congrats!

Congrats. That one is built to score well.

What a buck! Congrats!

My fist sit tonight, I had low expectations, mid 60’s for temps, wind was the wrong direction, the wife made the comment before I went out that we have no room in the freezers for meat, since we just butchered a cow. I told her I was basically going to stand to nap, unless a big rack showed up, I wasn’t shooting. Well the biggest buck I have on camera showed up, I got impatient, and let one fly and hit a branch. Luckily he didn’t spook hard, and came back in the plot, but not enough to give me a shot, but at least he isn’t spooked and maybe I can get another shot.

St, awesome buck! Congratulations!

Sat yesterday afternoon. Saw 10 does & 6 bucks. The bucks were definitely in chase mode and had the does scrambling all over.

Got one sit in this weekend. Today was too hot, to quiet, no wind, and the leaves are crispy.

Got to lay eyes on a small racked big body buck. First time I've ever seen this on my place, he came in and ate for about ten minutes. I was expecting bucks to be done with food until prom week is over.

The last three minutes he spent time with his nose up in the air looking around in all directions, and then walked back to where he came from.