Live from the stand thread

Sitting in a 30 acre Crp field with my Bono’s. I saw a nice one chasing two does. They just disappear in it though. Not sure how in the world to hunt it.

Attachments

• B902CD59-42D0-49B9-9786-4D9ADF9B6A53.jpeg
    B902CD59-42D0-49B9-9786-4D9ADF9B6A53.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 23
Mow a few trails in it to hunt over and hope that big brother doesn't come after ya? Make it look very inconspicuous from the sky.

Mow a few trails in it to hunt over and hope that big brother doesn't come after ya? Make it look very inconspicuous from the sky.
Do you think mow trails in the swells to reinforce the travel path? Should I do them 5 feet or 10 feet wide?

That could work. Check your contract and see the rules. Some programs allow mowing after certain dates. I've just heard a few stories where neighbors got a little too crazy with their trail mowing that they got a visit from the fsa.

Can you lay it down by rolling it when it's wet?

770D170A-3B9E-4B0D-ABE3-9C69C9B28644.jpegThis weekend was the crossbow opener here in NY and I refrained from hunting our 30 acres the last 3 weeks to keep it fresh so my daughter could see at least some deer this weekend. She doesn't sit still, nor is she nearly as patient as I am so I always opt to hunt from the camper which is strategically placed and usually produces. I hate hunting the camper, I have to pace back and forth between the 3 windows when I can just turn my head in a stand and I can't hear anything from inside so I am constantly poking my head out the windows to listen for grunts and footsteps. I just feel deaf and blind in the darn thing.

We saw some does and a small buck go through Saturday morning but everything was too far on opening morning, the night watch we didn't see anything except 2 Foxes chasing each other in some form of territorial fighting which was entertaining, it got pretty aggressive at the end and one had blood drooling down his face and neck. Sunday we heard a buck grunt through just out of sight, unsure which buck it was though. She wanted to take the last hunt off so that was her hunts.

I took yesterday (Monday) off work and finally got to hunt a stand that has had the wrong wind every time I could go hunting. Right at first light I saw what appeared to be a mature 8 point that was well outside his ears, the only response he gave my calls was to lift his head and look in my direction but never changed course and kept cruising at 80'ish yards. The next 3 hours was wall to wall 1 1/2 year old spikes and 4 points which kind of took me off alert status and that cost me. At the end of the entourage of testosterone filled youngsters I hear footsteps behind me, I peek around the tree and see 2 points through the thick stuff. I slowly turn to reach for the crossbow and slowly move into position for a mock shot and was surprised to see it was a descent 10 point. I think he saw something he didn't like because he was initially coming straight down the hill at 25 yards directly to me when I first saw him, by the time I was in position he was quartering away and already at 30 yards. I clicked off the safety and looked for a shot, at 40 yards I had an opening and stopped him with a mouth "meh". The shot was there but the hole was small and in the end I wasn't comfortable with it and watched him walk away.

There are so many times I took a risky shot (when I was younger) and wounded the deer, it haunts me still today. Hindsight, I know I could have made that shot, I know it was an ethical shot at that body angle and distance but the mistakes of my past wouldn't let me pull the trigger. I am at peace with that.

Last edited:
Do you think mow trails in the swells to reinforce the travel path? Should I do them 5 feet or 10 feet wide?
I mow with a 44” mower behind the side by side. Works great. Not that wide won’t work. Just not necessary.

A0C5E72C-0C35-4F72-A01F-43CC934DC5C5.jpegIt’s November 9. I’m deep in the timber. Only come here once or twice a year. Decided it was better to drive in rather then walk..

? Don’t know if that was smart. My machine is within sight of me but in a low spot down wind. If I walked in this weather I’d be sweaty.

Had a fork horn visit while I was still climbing the latter.

I can smell deer. Fingers crossed.

Spent a few mornings in the Appalachian mountains of western NC. We’re still a few weeks from peak breeding. No shooter bucks were seen but it was cold and crisp, still a beautiful weekend.

bebeced82c9d1f35c5a3e106bb886578.jpg

Not the giant you dream of, but had Loppy come by last night. The deer I went in to kill.

had him at 22 yards, behind a tree, for 15 minutes. I slowed everything down, got composed, and promptly shoulder shot him at 22 yards. son of a...

Didn't get thru the paddle at all. We found blood 200+ yards away, just smooth red muscle blood.

He'll survive, and that's ok, my complaint is that I only get 1 maybe 2 chances like that per year. And this was the one. And i let him get away with it...

loppy 6.jpg

What broadhead are you using, what weight is your arrow, and how many pounds are you shooting? I would think that at 22 yards you should have been able to penetrate that shoulder. Not that it is a recommended shot to take.

What broadhead are you using, what weight is your arrow, and how many pounds are you shooting? I would think that at 22 yards you should have been able to penetrate that shoulder. Not that it is a recommended shot to take.

i was using a rage hypodermic out of a prime Ion w/ Easton 5mm 340 arrows. Bottomed out 60# bow, so I'd guess 62 or so. I just missed my spot. Or he ducked and either way I was too far forward.
I can't shoot fixed blades well due to an issue with my bow arm and range of motion issues that make me torque the bow.

I too would have thought at the very least the point woulda got in there if I hit the paddle, but its also possible I didn't hit the paddle, but rather the fatter rounder part of the shoulder bone. That'd be a heck of an unlucky shot, but it did not penetrate at all. That's the bottom line.

3611C831-46FF-42E9-BC45-B7D028DDB9BF.jpegFinished cabin project … now out trying to shoot a doe, turkey, or tote. I can’t believe it’s nov 10th and it’s this warm out. I forgot all my camp tshirts.

Last edited:
Anyone hunting in the high wind today? Can't decide.

Rain and windy by me, I figured today is a great day to let things rest, then I will hit it hard all weekend, since there is snow on the way.

Anyone hunting in the high wind today? Can't decide.
High winds, I used them to clear a small row of little trees blocking my view in one of my shotgun stands. What's the point of being sighted in at 100 if you can't see past 50 it's ok to bow hunt but really better for gun. I will be out in the morning wind or not. West wind is good for my best stand if they play nice. Seen some chasing going on in the field across from my house hope to see it tomorrow too