Live from the stand thread

My rutcation is an hour or so away from being done. What a bust. Very little deer movement period let alone rut activity. Saw some deer and had a few young bucks acting frisky but all in all a truly disappointing first week in November. I’ve gotten reports from Mexico to Tennessee to other places in ky that it’s been dead too. Something was off this last few days.

Odd winds, oddly warm. For me anyway.
Got in the stand at 1:30. This warm south wind makes it feel like a spring warm up.

But if it was 10 degrees and windy I’d be crying about that too…..

heard sneezing about 20 yards away from me in thicket I waited like 3 hours. I actually thought I heard him get up and exit the other way cause I heard one get up and it kept sneezing as it was walking away. 15707.jpeg Does kept blowing at me and i had enough and didnt think it would be a good evening stand and I didn't think they were in thicket. I start getting down and buck in thicket gets up and starts bounding but gets his rack caught in thicket. stops and turns around. oh well I am hunting my entrance tonight.

Think that buck was locked down with the doe?

iam pretty sure he was by the doe pic I got prior. hoping she's comes back in the evening

7b63ecd625fd6b1103b84b1b9f726a61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheat field again. Kind of hope that nosey doe I let walk last weekend comes back by. My arrows have been dry to long
c2349e29d7ca824ea83ab8233869dda1.jpg

Well I had my encounter with that buck I had on my trail camera in the morning. It looked like he was about to do the same he did in the morning but hung up. He just sat there for 10 minute staring at me 45ish yards away. I need to setup a elevated blind by my cabin. I might of had a better shot sitting behind my tractor instead of that fence. Overall great day, and I am glad on my decision to change stands. Here are some uploads from the last two days.

Had a 6 at 70 yds then 20 min later a young 10 ptr walked the south edge of the field. Hit him with the bleet can and 2 grunts and he turned around and came to 26 yds I was iffy on shooting him until I got my knee on the chair I was sitting in and he made that decision for me. I would have been happy after the shot but I think sad when I cleaned him. He needs another year, that will help me sleep tonight too

My rutcation is an hour or so away from being done. What a bust. Very little deer movement period let alone rut activity. Saw some deer and had a few young bucks acting frisky but all in all a truly disappointing first week in November. I’ve gotten reports from Mexico to Tennessee to other places in ky that it’s been dead too. Something was off this last few days.

Misery loves company and I'm in the boat with ya.

Got my ass kicked and it wasn't for the lack of effort.

Between the 74 degree temps, hoards of pheasant hunters around every turn, cattle still out in most pastures, and locals partying it up at the parking spots it was ruff

But the cherry on top, a first and I hope a last was something I would of never predicted.

I bedded a true tank of a whitey with 3 does and a smaller buck. Guessing 150, 5x5. Spend all morning coyoteing the thing. Around noon I finally get him holed up in a system of 3 small draws. Check the first, not home. At this point there was zero wind. So to play it safe decided to wait him out at the bottom and try to get him at the creek crossing. Around 4pm I hear a plane coming and the dang thing flys right over head. Thought that was strange. It proceeds to turn around and fly over the land again this time even lower, scaring a small mullie off I had been watching. After 3 more passes I'm getting pissed, thinking what the heck is this guy doing. Well on the next pass I find out. The dude starts spraying the pasture thistles. This goes on for an hr. With no better options I decide to hunker down and wait, getting sprayed on in the process. Close to sundown the plane finally leaves. 10 min later hear something and out walks the small buck, gets to 25 and crosses the creek, perfect. maybe a 115 4x5. Was tempted, but could not pull the trigger knowing who he was with. Short while later hear something and out pops the three does, they cross at the same spot and I'm thinking this is golden. Bow in hand I wait, and wait, and the sun disappears and so did my dreams without an appearance from the monarch.

Did the plane spoke him, or did he just go a different way crusing. Who knows. But that one stung a bit.

15726.jpeg
tried setting up in the Morning( in dark) found a tree my gear holder wouldn't screw into.I ended up having to move I found this spot afterwards. I just took a shot at a buck. not sure how big. i might regret shooting him. I think I hit a little far back.

well crap i shot a baby. oh well iam happy now I can do cabin projects.
Awesome, congrats. Double split brows to boot. I would have slung an arrow at him the past few days.

Gotta try some pineapple and blue cheese jerky sticks made out of him. Sounds strange, but may be my favorite.

well crap i shot a baby. oh well iam happy now I can do cabin projects.

He’s much bigger then the one I’ve gotten so far.

Headed to town for some chicken stock this afternoon. It’s the main ingredient in tag soup.

Last edited:
This weather is insane. I had to deal with flies while field dressing. I decided to go just sit a spot tonight to try and get a better understanding of how to hunt it. Decent buck showed up go figure I shot his little brother this morning. what's interesting is my thermal were protecting me from getting winded. He saw me but couldn't figure me out. he attempted to do a half circle around me even though he new something was up. he had to cut my track at one point and wasn't phased. He seemed generally confused. He kept coming back to me. iam wondering my buck earlier I field dress this morning made my boots smell like a deer