Live from the stand thread

Well I made a bad shot on a big buck at 10 am this morning. I hit it far back and high. The deer grunted and mule kicked and ran like hell. It didnt look like i got good penetration. I saw the arrow hanging out as it ran. I couldn't find a drop of blood or the arrow and I looked for 5 hours. Iam disgusted with my self. Iam switching to a crossbow next year. I am just not proficent with a compound bow from a treestand.
Sucks, but don't be too hard on yourself. Many deer are wounded with crossbows also as shooting deer with them is not as easy as some make it out to be. Sounds like you gave a solid attempt to track/recover that buck. Get back out hunting when you have the chance and pay attention to the birds they may lead you to the buck.

Well I made a bad shot on a big buck at 10 am this morning. I hit it far back and high. The deer grunted and mule kicked and ran like hell. It didnt look like i got good penetration. I saw the arrow hanging out as it ran. I couldn't find a drop of blood or the arrow and I looked for 5 hours. Iam disgusted with my self. Iam switching to a crossbow next year. I am just not proficent with a compound bow from a treestand.

If you’ve never made a bad shot, you haven’t hunted long enough.

Flat out chasing this afternoon.

I won’t hunt deer with rage broadheads anymore but carry them for vermin and such.
It ain’t pretty when one hits a coyote.
What broadheads are you shooting deer with?

Ok I will check those out. I spend no time reading archery forums and therefore like to hear suggestions. Have spitfires in my quiver now but noticed they have a little rust on them. Could get out on my 2nd hunt tomorrow if I can get up and get it together. Was 75 today. Supposed to be 31 in the morning. Buck I want was still around on Halloween so hoping to meet up and do a candy swap with him.

Tried to talk the boy into morning hunt but he wants to sleep in, so we will be hunting the afternoon. I'm going back to where I missed the big boy there was a good 9 that came in the night b4 my dad couldn't get a shot at, here's to hoping.

100 grain 1 1/8” diameter slick trick. “Tiny” broadhead! Aim small, hit big. Flys like a field point.

I’m going to go the single bevel heavy FOC route next season. Touch them up before every hunt to ensure sharpness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100 grain 1 1/8” diameter slick trick. “Tiny” broadhead! Aim small, hit big. Flys like a field point.

Same here. I’m a self diagnosed gear whore and like trying new products but I usually end up coming back to Slick Tricks. Currently shooting the 100grain standard; 1” 4 blade. I’ve killed a pile of critters with these over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need it to warm up today an melt off this snow, about an inch or 2 even coat on everything. Its just melted enough to make it super crunchy. Not helping my spot and stalk game.

Finding I'm not crazy about this stage of the rut.
Edit: take that back, must have a hot doe around, deer everywhere running. crazy how fast it changed
20201111_082807.jpg

Last edited:
Need it to warm up today an melt off this snow, about an inch or 2 even coat on everything. Its just melted enough to make it super crunchy. Not helping my spot and stalk game.

Finding I'm not crazy about this stage of the rut.

View attachment 32540

I’ve never liked this stage of the rut. When they got a girl they don’t move far.

My toes know it’s 40 degrees colder this morning than yesterday.

I’ve never liked this stage of the rut. When they got a girl they don’t move far.

I was fighting the cold till about 9am the sun came out and saved me. I find doing squats help fight the cold.

Though my definition of cold that I like runs from about 45 to 60 F, I'd HAPPILY swap weather with you right about now, Bill!

Eta Radar.jpg

And though we've had no direct hits in Tallahassee YET this year (Eta going to be a close call), just staying on edge watching storm path, after storm path, after storm path has me SERIOUSLY feeling this way right now....

For The Love.jpg

Yeah my family down in SW Florida said it’s pretty windy.

I was fighting the cold till about 9am the sun came out and saved me. I find doing squats help fight the cold.
I might fall out of my ladder stand if I tried that.

Saw my last deer at 11:00. It’s 11:30 now. No reason to climb down. I brought a PB&J to hold me over.

I'm in the same area I miss the big boy but hiding in a different tree with a little better cover. Had a little doe run by at 80 yards but nothing chassing her. I Don't think she saw mee but who knows I'm not a ground hunting fan but no tree for a stand over here. So make do with what you have

Was quiet here today. Between my dad and I we saw 6 antlerless deer and 1 yearling buck. A neighbor in the distance still has some corn standing. That may have drawn a few for now, but I wouldn't think much yet.

My all day total was 15 bucks and I didn’t count does. Some bucks had to be repeats. Biggest was a high 130’s 9 point. Only one was close enough to shoot and I did not want him.

why does sitting down for 13 hours take so much out of you?

4 doe and a 4 ptr the little buck walked 20 feet straight from me. Saw me when he was 20 feet away and didn't know what to do. I sat stone still and watched him he just turned left and walked away. One doe was 20 yards from me and I didn't see her until I spit and she right there. She never blew at me but high tailed it out of there. Son saw a big guy at 45 yrs but he was behind a tree and never offered a shot. Not a bad day.

Saw about 10 deer...hunting a bluff and had to deal with swirling winds. Sigh was hoping my scent would blow above them. The deer the last hour started acting goofy running around.Hopefully that bodes well for tomorrow.