Live from the stand thread

I sat public land woods Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and kicked up more deer walking in than I saw while in stand. Dry, crunchy oak leaves do not make for a quiet approach. It's been 70+ degrees for several days here so thinking that's put a damper on daytime movement. This morning I tried a new section of public woods, sat for 3 hours without seeing a thing. Then drove a 1/4 mile down the road and saw 3 bucks strolling through an open hay field without a care in the world.

Stayed home this afternoon as I was finishing up transplanting seedling apples from the nursery to the orchard. These are 2 years old, and will be grafted onto in the future, once I've figured out which of my 50 different varieties do well here without spraying.
PXL_20201108_203948659.jpg

So the deer I missed was just cruising chasing does it went from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds. He was walking a road 60+ yards away and just turned on a dime and started waking right at me. Bare in mind I'm sitting on the ground not even in a blind just tucked in a pine tree. Went from 60 to 35 in 2 hops looking right at me so I was frozen, he went around a tree and I grabbed my bow stood up, drew and anchored. He needs to take 3 steps to be broadside be takes 2 steps and looks right at me at full draw. There is an opening right to the vials if I can just thread the needle. Deep breath, steady myself and let it fly. Arrow meet branch and it jets straight down and under him. 2 more hops and he is gone with the wind. I've never missed a deer that big, never shot at one either. Ok sure, there was prob some buck fever but the only thing I want to know is will he ever come back??????

I’d rather spook one that way over letting them get a nose full of me any day. He saw something that looked odd and it made a scary noise. Versus he knew exactly what was up.

I’d rather spook one that way over letting them get a nose full of me any day. He saw something that looked odd and it made a scary noise. Versus he knew exactly what was up.
I love you
He deff did not wind me it was blowing right in my face as he walked right at me. I guess time will tell that area has been hot all weekend. Maybe get another go at him Wed or this Saturday

On Friday it was 71 F this afternoon and had 12-14 does in front of me by 3:45. The bucks started rolling in and it was mayhem with all the chasing going on. A spike, 3 - 2.5 year olds, and 2 nice 3.5 year olds. Had chances at them all, none on my list ... was a lot of fun anyways as my head was on a swivel for almost an hour. The boys are really horny ...

Saturday & Sunday decided to work around the house as it was 72 F.

Cold front coming in on Wednesday along with new moon phase on Saturday.

Getting ready to head for my daily afternoon sun bathing.

I need more south wind stands. It’s November where is my NW wind??

Getting ready to head for my daily afternoon sun bathing.

I need more south wind stands. It’s November where is my NW wind??
Same here

Hey guys just got setup in my tree stand. ( I hang and hunt so it’s really odd it was laying next to it.) What’s kinda disappointing is this was laying close to my stand. Does this look like someone gutted a deer or do you think coyotes could’ve done this. I did shoot at a deer on Sunday. I doubt that could be him. 07DE639B-88D5-4751-AA6C-7D2B9170A5C8.jpeg

B42E05CF-B39C-4906-910C-19600F25FE8F.jpeg
Doe bedded down 30 yards in front of me. She stood in the same spot for 30 minutes . Iam surprised she didn’t bed further in. It’s amazing how well brown blends in. Now I can’t eat or drink till she’s gone.

Hey guys just got setup in my tree stand. ( I hang and hunt so it’s really odd it was laying next to it.) What’s kinda disappointing is this was laying close to my stand. Does this look like someone gutted a deer or do you think coyotes could’ve done this. I did shoot at a deer on Sunday. I doubt that could be him. View attachment 32536
Thats a small scrap. It could've been carried a long ways.

So my Northern brethren are in a heat wave as well? It's still hot here in Ga as well, but it sounds like some of you guys are hotter than me! Thank goodness for my Thermacell. Good news for me is that I have seen a deer on every one of my sits this year. Usually does, one spike. Never had this experience on my place. Last Saturday, I didn't see anything until I had to climb out of the stand and have an explosive bowel experience right under the stand. Saw 2 does and a spike come 30 feet from my stand after that. Must have been the corn I had for dinner :-)

Flat out chasing this afternoon.

I won’t hunt deer with rage broadheads anymore but carry them for vermin and such.
It ain’t pretty when one hits a coyote.

Feels good to be back at it.
Although not in a stand, or really where/what I was hoping to find. But figured I'm running out of time and better park it.
Some tracks, one scrape and a couple rubs. Oh and about 6 guys from Pennsylvania pheasant hunting. Nice guys, agreed not to walk woods. Just hope they beat feet and give me the last hour or 2 to myself.
20201110_143715.jpg

Were the guys from PA trespassing on your property or were you hunting on public land?

Were the guys from PA trespassing on your property or were you hunting on public land?

I'm on public out west.
2 does and a little buck so far.

Can here the pheasant guys working their way towards the center of the piece. I'm tucked into the very corner by the road.
Guessing these deer have seen this dog and pony show a few times. Hoping for anything 2 1/2 or older. Have 4 days to get it done.

Well I made a bad shot on a big buck at 10 am this morning. I hit it far back and high. The deer grunted and mule kicked and ran like hell. It didnt look like i got good penetration. I saw the arrow hanging out as it ran. I couldn't find a drop of blood or the arrow and I looked for 5 hours. Iam disgusted with my self. Iam switching to a crossbow next year. I am just not proficent with a compound bow from a treestand.

Well I made a bad shot on a big buck at 10 am this morning. I hit it far back and high. The deer grunted and mule kicked and ran like hell. It didnt look like i got good penetration. I saw the arrow hanging out as it ran. I couldn't find a drop of blood or the arrow and I looked for 5 hours. Iam disgusted with my self. Iam switching to a crossbow next year. I am just not proficent with a compound bow from a treestand.
That sucks man. Adjustments have to be made now and then. Coming to terms with it sure beats fighting the inevitable and wounding more deer. Hang in there.