Live from the stand thread

I've never bowhunted Halloween weekend before. It was a very cool experience. I've got a little food plot close to camp, and it's been obliterated. Never thought to put a cage on this one, but the oats got worked down to within 2" of the dirt. I think the snow brought that shift early.

Got out for my favorite hunting day. Halloween. Last year I shot my buck on Halloween. This year Halloween was good to me again. Very unique rack and had the body of a moose.

Attachments

• DDC75A1D-4C8F-47FB-92AC-6FC411CF3D1E.jpeg
    DDC75A1D-4C8F-47FB-92AC-6FC411CF3D1E.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 400F2F3D-D812-4E75-A682-E9035EA08962.jpeg
    400F2F3D-D812-4E75-A682-E9035EA08962.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 25
Halloween turns the old mature bucks into daywalkers. As I so often advise “deer are always in the woods” but as much time as I have logged in my treestands, rarely do I see big mature bucks on the hoof during daylight until the rut starts. They are the ghosts of the woods that are usually caught on trailcams in the middle of the night for me. The neighbors put a lot of pressure on the herd from opening day of bow until the last day of muzzleloader, it’s something I’ve learned to live with.

Anyway, I was in my stand 15 minutes before legal shooting light, as I’m hanging my bow on the hook and getting situated I hear a grunt off in the distance but never saw anything. I waited about a half an hour before rattling my first sequence. As soon as I smack the antlers together I hear a deer behind me in the thick stuff bolt, it was a young spike and he stops at 75 yards looking up the hill towards the grunt I heard. I scared him as much as he did me. I continue to rattle but cut it short in fear of the spike busting me and blowing at me for 20 minutes. I hang up the antlers and turn to grab my bow, to my right I hear a grunt again way off in the distance but it was loud considering the distance I can see in that direction. Slowly reaching for my bow I see antlers appear over the goldenrod roughly 150 yards away, he’s coming at a fast pace and like he’s on a string coming straight at me. He takes the first mowed path, then the second one zigzagging my mowed trails towards me. At 100 yards I could see the grey on his face, and antlers wayyyy outside his ears, that is the last time I looked at his antlers, from that point on I’m looking for the shot and that’s all or buck fever kicks in. At 75 yards I can clearly see him feverishly licking his nose and the broken up steam coming out his nose, my adrenaline pumping hard at this point I’m putting tension on the string. At 40 yards he’s still coming in fast and I draw my bow, at 20 yards he stops at the crossroads just short of my scent cone to my right with 1 small wild Apple tree between us. Finger on the trigger all I can do is wait, all he has to do is turn down the path in front of my stand to put a good shot on him. From here he can really go 3 directions and I’ll have him. I see a 4-5” hole opening and closing revealing the vitals between the wind moving the branches that a younger me would have tried to feed an arrow through. I’ve been down that road to many times and it’s not worth the risk of a bad hit on any deer. I’m anxious as the clock ticks, by now I’m starting to shake from holding back the bow, it feels like 20 minutes but was really maybe 4-5, my shoulders start burning and feeling weak, I know I can’t hold it together much longer. It was at that very moment I feel the wind hit the back of my head and it was over, he smells me and abruptly turns and walks away the same way he came in and at roughly the same pace. Such a beautiful animal, a majestic creature that I have so much love, respect, and admiration for. As he walks away I take note of his rack through my bino’s, he’s definitely a slammer, a heavy bodied mature, wicked wide and thick but short tined 8’ish point that I have not seen on my trailcams, he is now burned into my memory forever. Sure I was bummed I didn’t get a shot but it pales in comparison to the excitement of the whole experience that I am thankful to simply have witnessed. It’s precisely why we call it hunting and not killing.

What a rush! Most people have no idea how exciting hunting can be, or what is walking around their back yards because they aren’t out there. People see it as a waste of time but they have no clue how mentally healing it really is. The rewards are much more than just meat on the table, the experiences and memories are more than worth the effort. Sure I have lots of tasks to do just 300 yards away inside my warm cozy house but it’s deer season!!

Oh, if you’re wondering about that Apple tree, I grafted most of it last spring so I have some time and effort into it. The only reason I didn’t cut it down in the past to clear that potential shooting lane is because the prevailing wind typically blows right at it so it’s been viewed as a non factor. But... I still didn’t hesitate to jump on the 4 wheeler after this hunt and mowed that damn thing down with a chainsaw, it won’t happen again

6 am frosty morning straight south wind, prefect for the water hole. I don't even have my now rope tied there yet. Short walk maybe 150 yards. Backpack with goodies, check. Grunt tube, face paint, bow hanger, harness and strap check. Knock that favorite arrow and prepare to rain death on the booner that for sure is coming. Better draw make sure all my lanes are still good............. Attach release attach release..... No release. Sitting on table in cabin. Softy cry to myself hang head in shame. Climb out of tree, 150 there 150 back. Happy Saturday. But at least the view is nice
57c873d460dbb07b53f91fb32c22a092.jpg
b7519c32c85d5ab9e108c359206a5cd2.jpg
ac72b560e458fd6f970f9cfb8e16917d.jpg
c07184d1cfdc627be5097b8ddf14552a.jpg
2f7113df1d8182f9912e0139115b7ba9.jpg
cfef8801c444068f79d1ab3df804ea2a.jpg

Great real life stories, and these relate more to me then shooting them big bucks, that I rarely ever see in the woods. I skipped bow season again this year, 2 years in a row, because of life issues, and my gun season doesn’t start for 2 more weeks. Reading these last few stories bring back some great memories I can relate to. No bullets, wrong bullets, no flashlight in a strange huge public forest, nature calling stories, and many more. I have shot plenty of bigger racks, but the stories that get told, and laughed at, at deer camp are stories like these.

3 doe at 150 walking east at 715 Prob stay in stand until 10 or 11 grab food and back to it 230 or 3

I did see a buck though. Forker about 10 yards in front of my truck on the state highway last night. Could've taken him but I passed.

3 doe at 150 walking east at 715 Prob stay in stand until 10 or 11 grab food and back to it 230 or 3

I’m staying put until 10 after that I’ll need more sunscreen.
1 doe and a dink for me. But my son has been seeing deer.

I’m staying put until 10 after that I’ll need more sunscreen.
1 doe and a dink for me. But my son has been seeing deer.
Nothing but a single tree rat since the 3 doe. Just heard a gobble too the west of me but I didn't bring my call. Think I'll hunt the field this evening even if there isn't much rye in it.

I had some good action this morning. Bucks of all ages chasing does that aren't ready yet. However all the deer were just out of range I felt my stand was about 30 yards off so i decided to move it. I bumped some does in the process go figure. Iam in a t-shirt now just enjoying the sun.

I had some good action this morning. Bucks of all ages chasing does that aren't ready yet. However all the deer were just out of range I felt my stand was about 30 yards off so i decided to move it. I bumped some does in the process go figure. Iam in a t-shirt now just enjoying the sun.

Attachments

• 12712.jpeg
    12712.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 12711.jpeg
    12711.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 19
Moved to a different property one mile away. First time anyone has hunted here this season. Sitting on a water hole hoping the bucks are as hot and thirsty as I am.

Moved to a different property one mile away. First time anyone has hunted here this season. Sitting on a water hole hoping the bucks are as hot and thirsty as I am.
Sitting on the field but the more I sit the less I like it. Ground blind and my son moved it last weekend and I forgot he did. Trying to catch a run behind where he wss and the corner of the field instead of the whole West edge. My water hole stand sure feels the better choice but we will see

Why is it that when you personally put the deer decoy up.... it still grabs your attention every now and then when you catch it in the corner of your eye.
Deer amnesia

I had awesome day... had two shooters within 40 yards, but one was behind a bush and the other one I wasn't comfortable with the shot, and thought he was going to come in closer. Nothing like two adrenaline dumps in a day.