For the North.

ethompson

5 year old buck +
I live in e. Texas and supposed to have 8 degree temperatures Monday going into Tuesday with the high of 23. Will it hurt the seedlings I’ve planted this year/last fall? Last single digit temperature was in 80’s I believe. Thanks

Are they dormant?

If they aren’t at least zone 4 you might have some issues.

Go and cover an area with a sheet of plywood or an old blanket. You might gain some insight if you need to replant if that area greens up faster than the uncovered area. Otherwise, you can take some plugs from both areas and bring them in and out them on a windowsill and begin watering/maintaining them.

Yes they are dormant.

I'm across the Sabine from you and spent the afternoon covering citrus, and garden veggies. Gonna put heat lamps under the citrus. Coldest spell here since the late 1800's . Lots of things are going to die

Projected low is 4 degrees with high of 16 here on monday

I have planted ~100 containerized seedlings since Jan

Each one was matted with landscape fabric and each received a bag of mulch on top

Fingers crossed

Fairly certain the unprotected bare root arrow wood,wax myrtle ,and yaupon are toast

Time will tell

bill

Roll of the dice. Guessing if they were planted dormant and still are they should be ok.

Gunna be a low of -26 real with a high of -8 here on Sunday. Nothing wanna works right.

Guessing I may loose an apple and a peach I was pushing the limits with.

Had been a great winter up till this point.

If they are dormant, would it make sense to spray them with water? I know some orchards in the south do something like this when they get short spell of very cold temps. I'm not suggesting this is the right answer. I'm just raising the question in case others have done this.

Thanks,

Jack

At -26, water doesnt flow.

I had -33 this morning, when I looked. My dogs are not a fan, they are pampered inside dogs, so about 2 minutes outside, and they are trying to lift all of their legs at the same time. I did learn I need to add a little more blow in insulation. Amazing how 24 inches of blow in insulation sinks to about 12 inches, in a year. I also learned that 30% of propane in my 500 gallon tank doesnt give enough pressure when it is -33 to keep the furnace, and oven going at the same time.

8 degrees was not the low -3 was. I gave up on my trees because today all the trees are covered in ice. Snap crackle pop. This is not going to end well. Yesterday was beautiful outside. All white all sun and no wind with high at 31. Don’t know how you guys handle it. In the background I can hear the generator running. Wonder for how much longer.

8 degrees was not the low -3 was. I gave up on my trees because today all the trees are covered in ice. Snap crackle pop. This is not going to end well. Yesterday was beautiful outside. All white all sun and no wind with high at 31. Don’t know how you guys handle it. In the background I can hear the generator running. Wonder for how much longer.
This has been a perfectly normal winter for us with the exception of not as much snow.

A bit cold the past few weeks but for the most part an easy winter. One thing about -25 and lower, it keeps the rif raff out if you know what I mean.

Time will tell.......

Keep plantin'

bill

So far all chestnuts have survived the freeze. Did loose 2 of 3 fuyu persimmons. No biggie though. All pears have made it to. My silver maple that had already started to bloom lost all blooms. Bamboo ( don’t ask ) looks dead. My Mexican white oak (very similar to live oak in flora) lost all leafs. How bout you folks?

I will let you know in a couple months.

Attachments

• BF80B94F-C52D-4E23-94F9-78C733E37774.png
    BF80B94F-C52D-4E23-94F9-78C733E37774.png
    493.8 KB · Views: 10
I can’t even imagine having snow for that long. I would go insane

I can’t even imagine having snow for that long. I would go insane

it has been a pretty mellow year. A few years back we got about 30 inches of snow February and March, and a long stretch of -30 and colder. But up to that point it was also a mellow winter.

But we don’t have to many icky bugs, spiders, and other freaky creatures, so I call it a fair trade.