Farm and Ranch life

I think the cattle are doing exactly what I wanted which is improving all my pastures. we move the cattle every 3-5 days depending with very high animal impact for short duration and long rest periods. We kept them thru the fields all summer and the speed and amount of regrowth was impressive. Starting in about a week we are going to push them into the woods with the same strategy and hopefully impact the woods as effectively as the fields. We will go back to the fields about Feb. after fall plots are going strong.

I sold the goats. from a business perspective they were to high maintenance requiring hoof and parasite attention monthly. That strained staff too much. They also didn't have the environmental impact the cows have either. May introduce later...tbd.

We have 400 laying hens now all on free range pasture moving them every 3 days.They are intense on pasture but also powerful. Using eggs and grass fed beef to prime the sales pump building a customer base. Once enough customers on line we will begin expanding into market gardening and other enterprises. Will experiment with hogs and turkeys next year.

All in all big fun!!!
I think you would love hogs! They can have a great impact on environment/habitat and be somewhat trouble free. I'm sure you know what you'll want but I would greatly suggest you look at some of the heritage breeds. Glad the cattle are working out for you. They can sure be fun and effective.

tempImagePoRiJE.png

Age progression from 3 to 4. What a giant jump. Looks 200". Rare to see this growth but fun when it happens.The role of the dice is that this buck won't be hunted for at least 3 more years. How many ways can he be lost during that time? To address the human drama of hi fence/low fence ....yep this buck is on our low fenced pasture.{ DOnt you love the flowers he's standing in }

Very nice,luckily they get alot smarter about that age

Looks like about the same basic frame but added a bunch of kickers and a drop or two. I love the trash! Added "stuff" makes a rack so much better!

This was the quickest easiest hunt I have ever had for a specific buck. Took less than 15 mins from time we got in blind. Hardly any teeth left...best guess 8 yr old but could be much older. 240 lbs. 184" Working on the video of the hunt now.

9575D760-B0F6-466C-90FA-E0EA7D4A7BEC.jpeg

That smile says it all!

Nice

Very cool! Congrats to both of you.

Do you think they become easier to hunt after their teeth wear down? More likely to be out in the daylight in search of food?

Very cool! Congrats to both of you.

Do you think they become easier to hunt after their teeth wear down? More likely to be out in the daylight in search of food?
I don't think tooth wear has anything to do with it. This buck was fat as a pig. I've had very old bucks---8+ --that we never see hard antler in daylight. I tend to think its more of a personality thing. This particular buck was very unusual in that he was seen [ with camera ] all summer in daylight. He came out the day we hunted him at 5:40 over 1 1/2 hours before dark....that never happens. What I do see is that when bucks start to get really old and to some degree aging out of the breeding pool they become more mellow. Not all of them but some.

Congratulations!

Nice Buck! I came fairly close. Just seemed he had short tines, and that's not a recipe for a high score (not that 184 isn't high!) but B&C rewards tall tines. Look at the tines compared to ear length.
Congrats. Buck of a lifetime.

Nice Buck! I came fairly close. Just seemed he had short tines, and that's not a recipe for a high score (not that 184 isn't high!) but B&C rewards tall tines. Look at the tines compared to ear length.
Congrats. Buck of a lifetime.
You were bu far the closest of anyone on score

Nice! I love me some cattle for plot management. Plan to build some more permanent fence this winter to make it easier.
That's a good looking herd (I'm not much for horns while I'm working them though). Good flock of egrets too.
Nice work!

How well of a "kill" were you able to achieve with cattle alone on your summer plot?

Really enjoy this video and seeing what you doing at the farm.

We are just cranking up the season in Mexico. I've hunted every year for almost 60 yrs. with this buddy. we grew up together. Unfortunately in very poor health so I'm not sure how many more seasons. He had 2 things on his bucket list...a drop tine buck ...and a threesome with two super models. I cant help him with #2 but was able to get him on this nice drop tine buck. Dream come true for him

B527155B-2442-4517-B0A1-C0A7A9C8A1E3.jpeg

super buck and I bet great memories for the future

Just back from ranch to batten down the farm for coming winter storm. Got a couple buddies nice bucks plus saw a couple---maybe for me:)---in future years. Both the 'live bucks' are 5 yr olds so they get a pass for few more years. The 8 pt I think is over 30" wide inside. While we grow 200" bucks regularly bucks that wide are a genetic anomaly and super rare.

Attachments

• 37614BEC-DE37-475B-A11E-60800D49FD15.jpeg
    37614BEC-DE37-475B-A11E-60800D49FD15.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 26
  • C2681D20-6204-47B6-A500-8318CAD44374.jpeg
    C2681D20-6204-47B6-A500-8318CAD44374.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 7B357C96-E9B8-47AC-AC9F-78C4B3001485.jpeg
    7B357C96-E9B8-47AC-AC9F-78C4B3001485.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 0BB27F47-E955-41EA-9CDD-45BD2B11DCEE.jpeg
    0BB27F47-E955-41EA-9CDD-45BD2B11DCEE.jpeg