Farm and Ranch life

Nice bucks! Is that 3rd pic, the wide 8, a midget or something? Any other angles?

My buddy got this one this morning. Been watching him since he was 3 when it was obvious he would be special. He's 8 here. I hunted him all Thanksgiving and never saw him. He's been hunted every day since and this is the first time he's been seen this season.

Attachments

• tempImageL0Hx1B.png
    tempImageL0Hx1B.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 48
CRAZY nice bucks, Baker, so promise I don't ask this question as a baited one... instead truly just curious understanding how the deer in Mexico might differ from trophy deer further north in the midwest.

Do you weigh the deer in Mexico and if so what's the average and / or range of body weights you see on the Mexico bucks? Guessing due to Bergmann's rule the weights are likely a bit lighter than deer in the midwest? Regardless, doesn't take away an iota on the beauty of those sets of horns. 👍

CRAZY nice bucks, Baker, so promise I don't ask this question as a baited one... instead truly just curious understanding how the deer in Mexico might differ from trophy deer further north in the midwest.

Do you weigh the deer in Mexico and if so what's the average and / or range of body weights you see on the Mexico bucks? Guessing due to Bergmann's rule the weights are likely a bit lighter than deer in the midwest? Regardless, doesn't take away an iota on the beauty of those sets of horns. 👍
Its cold and raining all day here in La. so I'm stuck inside catching up on all the sins of neglect from a couple months in the brush. Thanks for the question as Id much rather discuss deer, habitat and anything outdoors!

The deer in Mexico are the same subspecies as the deer in S. Texas. Genetically that does influence body characteristics and to some degree antler expression. Antler wise our deer tend to be more symmetrical with less grossly nontypical racks. Also unique to our specific location is a proclivity to very wide racks with 18-20" i.s. common and 25"+ not too unusual. Body weights pre rut on fully mature deer range 220-250lbs. Perhaps one of the biggest differences with this sub specie is they mature later than the northern strains. Deer breeders figured this out a long time ago and add some northern blood to the more attractive southern genetics. Northern deer can peak at 3-4 where these deer can peak 8-10 yrs old. { though I do wonder how many folks managing the northern strains actually ever keep bucks on peak nutrition to over 6 yrs old? }

When I first bought my ranch in 1997 the biggest buck around might have been 150". This on very lightly hunted property. There are 2 reason why we have the bucks you see now . NUTRITION. and age! We have profoundly raised the nutritional plane year round 365 days with both supplemental feed and water distribution . Then by allowing the bucks to age they can fully express genetic potential.

Great looking deer

About to wrap up another season in Mexico . Been a good yr typical for the area. So far we have taken 13 bucks off the ranch ranging from 145-200. The top 5 were 200 4/8, 175, 174.172.170. The average score of all 13 was 165". All of the bucks were 7+ with some 10 or older.Of the best 8-10 bucks on the ranch we only took 1 of the biggest ones. Bodes well for next yr.

The 8 pt in the individual pic was 172" tremendous mass and was at least 10 maybe more. Two years ago he was a beautiful 9 pt with a giant drop probably upper 190's. Cold he have rebounded again next yr? Hard to tell but the archer that got him is over the moon. The 200 and a 174 were also taken with archery gear.IMG_0469.jpegIMG_0470.jpegIMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpegIMG_0471.jpeg

DAMN!

Nice bucks! Looks like you guys connected on the 8 you thought might be 30" inside. How close were you? I like that massive 8 also. Bases as big as bottle of Modelo.

Any big boys tagged on the LA ranch?

On 2nd glance I don't think the 30 incher is in that group pic. I was thinking lower left but curvy brow doesn't seem a match.

Awesome update! I truly love what you are doing. Keep living the dream Baker!

Nope the wide 8 is only 5 and looks incredible this yr. But he's got a couple more yrs before being a target.

Very nice animals

Baker -
You rent any of those big boys for "some breeding fun" with attractive does in northern states?? 😁

Baker -
You rent any of those big boys for "some breeding fun" with attractive does in northern states?? 😁
Thats funny, I...and my deer... are always up for barter. Send pics of the " attractive ones" and I'll post to the stud services bulletin

Baker -
You dont see that often - northern folks asking about southern deer for breeding. Always been the other way around.

Lol, I've got some very pretty doe's running around! I don't think it works that way though... usually the guy ends up paying the price and not the other way around.

You dont see that often - northern folks asking about southern deer for breeding. Always been the other way around.
Just razzing ol' Baker!!