Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

running the 4 d pack with a 6 d booster allows the camera to recognize the differences in voltage and thus you see status on the report and know which pack is in use and the battery level. When running the AA pack or a 6 d pack with a booster the voltage is the same on all so the camera runs all the batteries at the same time.
Would that be the same case with the newer dual bank power supply? I put one on a j with aa batteries and it lasted maybe 3 weeks. Haven't been to it yet but I was shocked it only lasted that long.

Would that be the same case with the newer dual bank power supply? I put one on a j with aa batteries and it lasted maybe 3 weeks. Haven't been to it yet but I was shocked it only lasted that long.
if you are running the Dual power bank you need to make sure all cameras are on 7.7.If not it wont recognize it. You dont even need batteries in the camera when using a a DPB. If set up correctly, the progression should go as follows, EXT 1 OK, EXT 1 LOW, EXT 2 OK, EXT 2 Low , OK, Low. if it died in 3 weeks something is wrong, you should get months and month on that set up , possibly a year or more depending on what batteries you ran in it.

if you are running the Dual power bank you need to make sure all cameras are on 7.7.If not it wont recognize it. You dont even need batteries in the camera when using a a DPB. If set up correctly, the progression should go as follows, EXT 1 OK, EXT 1 LOW, EXT 2 OK, EXT 2 Low , OK, Low. if it died in 3 weeks something is wrong, you should get months and month on that set up , possibly a year or more depending on what batteries you ran in it.
Definitely something wrong then. It went from Ext 1 ok to nothing and I checked the report, it only lasted 10 days.

John, you may have covered this before, but I will ask anyway. LOL. In the J cameras if you don't run internals and have the dual power bank, will it let you know when it goes from Ext 1 to Ext 2?

John, you may have covered this before, but I will ask anyway. LOL. In the J cameras if you don't run internals and have the dual power bank, will it let you know when it goes from Ext 1 to Ext 2?
Correct- that is what it’s suppose to do, cuddeback actually recommends not inserting batteries in the camera when using the dpb unless you are concerned and animal will remove or chew the cord from the dpb and you want a backup power source .

John, are we still looking at 2/1 for the firmware update to become available?

The date isn’t defined but it will be very soon

I would definitely like the ability to select and download a single higher resolution image from a remote camera. Even if it were just double the thumbnail resolution. This seems like a super useful feature. I am running 16 cameras and very rarely when I pull the home camera card do I see a backlog of images in the que. The hole reason for the wireless cameras is the ability to not go a disturb the deer before it is time. If you cant get the detail needed from the thumbnail image then the wireless is a lot less useful. I would also like a WIFI home camera version. I have internet access (WIFI) at my hunting lodge where my home camera is and the Verizon cell version does not work even though my phone shows 3 bars of LTE. A WIFI version would be able to connect and send me emails without another cell plan.

I'm not sure what some guys need to see in a picture, the thumbnails have always sufficed for all of my purposes.

I'm not sure what some guys need to see in a picture, the thumbnails have always sufficed for all of my purposes.

I have easily missed out on targeting certain bucks because I couldn’t make it out further away from the camera. I could only tell it’s probably a mature deer. When compared to other cell type cameras on the market, picture quality on the thumbnails is a problem. I’ve brought this up before and was told the samething, not gonna happen. I honestly think a lot of these issues would be resolved with just a little higher thumbnail resolution. Most other cell cams I set the settings to 1280x720. There is hardly a need for full size images at that point.

I also don’t care to set the cameras up right on trail close because of the filter click and the loud noise associated.

I’ve switched to purely cell cams now because of both things and just run the cuddes where cell reception isn’t great.

as new quality cell cameras with shared data plans start to become the norm. I could see small setups. 6 cams or less switching to those if they aren’t concerned with a little higher cost but better imaging.

I will say this Gen2 stuff cudde is doing is great. I think it will eventually open doors to new possibilities.

I all depends on your application. I wouldn't consider the cudde for my QDM application where it is important to get data that is unbiased by camera down time and full resolution pictures for specific antler configuration deer identification for unbaited surveys.

It may be an inexpensive alternative for my small retirement property where transmission distances are short and I'm not managing deer, just bowhunting. Thumbs are fine for a "what's out there" or patterning purpose and with only 16 acres and no pines it is a short walk to the camera if I need the SD card or battery swap.

Pep's application is somewhat different than mine and perhaps slightly larger thumbs would suffice for him. Most cell systems don't transmit full res pics because of the cost. I wonder if things will change as 5g becomes more ubiquitous over the next 5 years or so.

Thanks,

Jack

5g will mostly apply to big metro/city evironments. from what aware of, 5g wont benefit the cell trail camera user much at all.

5g will mostly apply to big metro/city evironments. from what aware of, 5g wont benefit the cell trail camera user much at all.

Only at first. 4g will be phased out over time . That is why I put a 5 year horizon on it. It won't be fully built out in 5 years and they certainly will start with the most lucrative population centers, but over time the network be built out.

Thanks,

Jack

Definitely something wrong then. It went from Ext 1 ok to nothing and I checked the report, it only lasted 10 days.
what brand D batteries were using in your DPB when you had the issue. ? also where did you buy them? we try to keep track of these type of things. if its energizer i would definitely try another brand like rayovac high energy.

Been keeping up with several threads and battery life seems to be a big topic with all the different camera/battery/ext. I have all model G units (12) with no solar or ext battery sources. With the new version coming out(8.0)what is going to be the optimal set up when it comes to keeping me out of the woods to change batteries.I know there are different
scenarios especially if and when to use solar. I am looking to be a little more educated on how the system works so if you could give me an explanation on why you suggest a certain path it would be appreciated, (there has been a lot of talk about voltage recognition by the camera),and what is a good rechargeable D battery?
Not sure how many of you out there have been working with this version but would like any ones input.

Been keeping up with several threads and battery life seems to be a big topic with all the different camera/battery/ext. I have all model G units (12) with no solar or ext battery sources. With the new version coming out(8.0)what is going to be the optimal set up when it comes to keeping me out of the woods to change batteries.I know there are different
scenarios especially if and when to use solar. I am looking to be a little more educated on how the system works so if you could give me an explanation on why you suggest a certain path it would be appreciated, (there has been a lot of talk about voltage recognition by the camera),and what is a good rechargeable D battery?
Not sure how many of you out there have been working with this version but would like any ones input.

I have the J cameras with solar (AA Batteries). The solar works pretty well if you have full sun. If you don't have full sun, I wouldn't recommend them. They are still better than just using the stock batteries, but not optimal. With looking at the costs, I plan on switching 2 of my cameras to the dual power banks with no solar as they only get partial sun. Seems to be that I should get 6 months with the DPB without having to change. I run cameras from May till Feb. My plan is I will put new batteries in May and then switch to a new full set of batteries in mid September. This should get me into Feb. In looking at the initial cost of rechargeable D batteries vs Rayovac High Energy on Ebay, I really don't plan on going to solar right now.

Yes battery life has always been a challenge with trail cameras but things are improving. My first digital trail camera (after using film trail cameras) only got about 25 pictures on a set of batteries but still provided a huge hunting advantage at the time.
Solar is the best solution where you can face your solar panel to the south with an unobstructed view of the sun.
I have both J and G cameras with the solar panel & AA rechargeables that have run over a year with no battery changes. I have cleaned the solar panels when convenient to keep them efficient.
Same with the K series. I put 6 EBL 10,000 ma rechargeables in them 8 months ago and attached a solar panel and have not had to touch them since except to make a firmware upgrade.
A few preemptive lessons for solar:
Make sure to individually test each battery with a battery tester before using them.
Get a charger and fully charge the batteries right before you install them. Rechargeables discharge pretty quickly even when not used.
Use a meter and make sure your interface cables are good. One rodent bite will cause them not to work. So will pinching them with a Cuddesafe lid.

Solar is still useful where you have good but not great sunlight.
If you have a G series or J series with 4 D cells and a separate rechargeable battery pack the report will tell you when the rechargeable batteries are low and you can go exchange them with a new charged set and run for maybe a couple of months before they get low again.

The Dual Power Bank has pretty much solved the battery problem for areas with inadequate solar.
If you have a G or J series with 4 D cells install the latest firmware, fill the camera and DPB up with Rayovac High Energy alkalines (with a good expiration date),
make sure your cable is good and you should run all season with no issues.
Note: I know from experience that a pinched interface cable will run down your batteries in a few days and cheap batteries from ebay may have a 2012 expiration date and they won't last long either.
Once Cuddebak gets the new 8.0 firmware, new Solar panel, and 12 volt converter out to us then the whole system should get even more efficient and maintenance free!

I have the J cameras with solar (AA Batteries). The solar works pretty well if you have full sun. If you don't have full sun, I wouldn't recommend them. They are still better than just using the stock batteries, but not optimal. With looking at the costs, I plan on switching 2 of my cameras to the dual power banks with no solar as they only get partial sun. Seems to be that I should get 6 months with the DPB without having to change. I run cameras from May till Feb. My plan is I will put new batteries in May and then switch to a new full set of batteries in mid September. This should get me into Feb. In looking at the initial cost of rechargeable D batteries vs Rayovac High Energy on Ebay, I really don't plan on going to solar right now.
Thanks !

Yes battery life has always been a challenge with trail cameras but things are improving. My first digital trail camera (after using film trail cameras) only got about 25 pictures on a set of batteries but still provided a huge hunting advantage at the time.
Solar is the best solution where you can face your solar panel to the south with an unobstructed view of the sun.
I have both J and G cameras with the solar panel & AA rechargeables that have run over a year with no battery changes. I have cleaned the solar panels when convenient to keep them efficient.
Same with the K series. I put 6 EBL 10,000 ma rechargeables in them 8 months ago and attached a solar panel and have not had to touch them since except to make a firmware upgrade.
A few preemptive lessons for solar:
Make sure to individually test each battery with a battery tester before using them.
Get a charger and fully charge the batteries right before you install them. Rechargeables discharge pretty quickly even when not used.
Use a meter and make sure your interface cables are good. One rodent bite will cause them not to work. So will pinching them with a Cuddesafe lid.

Solar is still useful where you have good but not great sunlight.
If you have a G series or J series with 4 D cells and a separate rechargeable battery pack the report will tell you when the rechargeable batteries are low and you can go exchange them with a new charged set and run for maybe a couple of months before they get low again.

The Dual Power Bank has pretty much solved the battery problem for areas with inadequate solar.
If you have a G or J series with 4 D cells install the latest firmware, fill the camera and DPB up with Rayovac High Energy alkalines (with a good expiration date),
make sure your cable is good and you should run all season with no issues.
Note: I know from experience that a pinched interface cable will run down your batteries in a few days and cheap batteries from ebay may have a 2012 expiration date and they won't last long either.
Once Cuddebak gets the new 8.0 firmware, new Solar panel, and 12 volt converter out to us then the whole system should get even more efficient and maintenance free!
Thanks!