Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

John, what's the benefit of the dual power bank over the new solar setup or vice versa?
Dual power bank allows you to run 12 alkaline batteries in two banks or 1 bank rechargeable and the other alkaline . Dpb would give you the longest possible battery life without going to the camera . The new solar bank is just a solar panel with internal rechargeables and can be used on its own plugged directly into a camera or used as the solar charging panel for the dpb

John,

Is 8.0 still slated for End of Month?

Thanks

Al

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Will there be an App to install on phone or make remote changes or will there be software on the website?

Will there be an App to install on phone or make remote changes or will there be software on the website?
I would love to have both if it’s an option.

John,

Is 8.0 still slated for End of Month?

Thanks

Al

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
scheduled for around feb 1st as of now but that can change a bit.

I would love to have both if it’s an option.
its not an app but basically does the same thing. you log into your cell management page/camp site and can change everything on your page. Very simple and fast. you can do it with your phone or computer. apps are not very stable and downtime is common. our current format on the site is very stable and as of yet we have had zero down time.

Soooo - hearing the old solar panels cannot be used with the 4x D-cell J-1521's...:emoji_thinking:
(6v vs 9v)

Can the 4x D-cell back be swapped for the 6x D-cell #3495 J series replacement back?
Thus allowing use of the old solar panels?

Soooo - hearing the old solar panels cannot be used with the 4x D-cell J-1521's...:emoji_thinking:
(6v vs 9v)

Can the 4x D-cell back be swapped for the 6x D-cell #3495 J series replacement back?
Thus allowing use of the old solar panels?
yes you could do that, but considering the cost of rechargeable D's and the 6 d pack you may be better off buying the new solar bank and selling your other one or switching the 4 d cell j back to AA and using the old panel. Im sure there are a bunch of guys on here with AA battery packs laying around they arent using.

yes you could do that, but considering the cost of rechargeable D's and the 6 d pack you may be better off buying the new solar bank and selling your other one or switching the 4 d cell j back to AA and using the old panel. Im sure there are a bunch of guys on here with AA battery packs laying around they arent using.

Thanks for the confirmation buddy! You are a true asset to this forum :emoji_thumbsup:

What is the expected price for new solar unit? If your allowed to release that...

Correct but gen 2 won’t be live until end of the month approximately
I am a little bit confused with this, exactly which Gen 2 features will we be able to use with a "Home Plus 1385" ? If I understood the previous explanations, the remote features MUST be accessed via the website and a cell enabled camera set to "Home". A current 1385 is not cell enabled and will ONLY be useful as a repeater in this situation. Maybe you were referring to the previously available "Cell Home"?

if price were no object is the key point - it would likely end up being less expensive to remotely send up a drone before technology gets to the point where you can transmit high rez video via rf for 1/4 mile thru wooded terrain. Who knows, maybe 10-15 years for now everyone will have drones streaming live footage of their hunting grounds.i think the technology would need to come from some other application instead of the hunting market.
Do you have any examples currently of an application using wi fi now that transmits hi res 1/4 mile or more and does it in seconds not minutes or hours?
Several camera manufacturers tried to use wi fi and it was a complete flop since the distance was so restrictive. Anything is possible in the future, but right now the cost of individual cell cams would be considerably less and would likely stay that way before something was developed at any price that would accomplish what was asked for.
The cost and time to develop Cuddelink in its current form was shocking to me. i knew when Mark told me about it that it would be a huge success but i font think many would have had the determination and faith to forge ahead thru the cost and time it took to develop it.
I think this topic ran a little off point, If I’m not mistaken it originated with a future feature request about remotely commanding any given camera to select a specific image it had already taken. While I’m not a programmer nor do I have the source code I’ll bet heavily that the technology and capability to do this is already there in the existing hardware. To understand why I say this we only need to examine the known facts. 1. The owner obviously already received the thumbnail and knows which camera sent the image and which pic it was so Camera ID and Picture ID are known facts. 2. If the Gen 2 remote functions can drill through menus and change settings on any specific camera, it will be no more difficult to access a folder and select a known image. 3. To transmit a thumbnail the full resolution image that was initially captured and saved to the SD card must first be downscaled to the thumbnail size. That takes more processing power than not doing so. 4. If any single camera can send hundreds of thumbnails in a run-away situation like we know they can, then it should also handle a high resolution image sent over a similar timeframe and data rate. The programming to do this is not likely to be that hard; however, with all things bigger it will obviously come with a cost. That cost would be tying up the whole network during transfer of a single hi res image, and … increased power consumption by every unit involved in transferring that image. Conclusions, would this be a valuable option to users? Personally I say that’s a resounding YES even though I may never get an image that I deem worthy of the costs. On the other hand, we already know some users will definitely welcome such a capability and find the costs most worth it.

I think this topic ran a little off point, If I’m not mistaken it originated with a future feature request about remotely commanding any given camera to select a specific image it had already taken. While I’m not a programmer nor do I have the source code I’ll bet heavily that the technology and capability to do this is already there in the existing hardware. To understand why I say this we only need to examine the known facts. 1. The owner obviously already received the thumbnail and knows which camera sent the image and which pic it was so Camera ID and Picture ID are known facts. 2. If the Gen 2 remote functions can drill through menus and change settings on any specific camera, it will be no more difficult to access a folder and select a known image. 3. To transmit a thumbnail the full resolution image that was initially captured and saved to the SD card must first be downscaled to the thumbnail size. That takes more processing power than not doing so. 4. If any single camera can send hundreds of thumbnails in a run-away situation like we know they can, then it should also handle a high resolution image sent over a similar timeframe and data rate. The programming to do this is not likely to be that hard; however, with all things bigger it will obviously come with a cost. That cost would be tying up the whole network during transfer of a single hi res image, and … increased power consumption by every unit involved in transferring that image. Conclusions, would this be a valuable option to users? Personally I say that’s a resounding YES even though I may never get an image that I deem worthy of the costs. On the other hand, we already know some users will definitely welcome such a capability and find the costs most worth it.
That’s a good idea. I have always though if you wanted high res pics it would have to send all pictures in high res, but if you could pick and choose which pics you want sent in high res, that would be great. I found myself going in to pull cards on 4 different occasions because I couldn’t tell if the new bucks that showed up on my property were shooters or not. I had one deer with a split brows and a double main beam and through the low res I couldn’t tell if it was motion blur or what was going on.

I am a little bit confused with this, exactly which Gen 2 features will we be able to use with a "Home Plus 1385" ? If I understood the previous explanations, the remote features MUST be accessed via the website and a cell enabled camera set to "Home". A current 1385 is not cell enabled and will ONLY be useful as a repeater in this situation. Maybe you were referring to the previously available "Cell Home"?
yes that is what i was referring to. Gen 2 is only useful for the most part when you re running a cellular home unit. i must have missed the part where you asked about the SD home unit(what it is now called)
Gen 2 does allow for increasing a network to 24 cameras and also increases the transmission speed form 1000 images per day to 1500 images per day under optimum conditions so those using the 1385 can still benefit by updating their units to 8.0.

Last edited:
i asked the engineers about this the first go around. It would require a huge amount of effort and cost to accomplish it if it was possible to do without compromising the system to a point that was unacceptable to the majority of users. And although im sure some would welcome the ability to do so, it would further complicate the system/menu options and most likely throw more wrenches into a system that already challenges the average consumer. If you knew the volume and time currently spent from both an engineering standpoint and a customer service standpoint to get the system to work for the vast majority of users you would understand that this type of challenge currently isnt worth the effort or the issues it would cause to the system. ONe day of answering the consumer line phones at cuddeback would convince you of this!
The time it takes to transmit an image via RF at a high rez would cause more problems than its worth IMO . Would it be a great feature for some ? yes- but as of now its not even on the docket to be looked at so dont hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Just being honest. If anything, cuddeback is working to make this system faster not slower (as 8.0 will do). Right now the two most important things are maximizing battery life and getting maximum speed out of multiple camera systems, so consumers can leave the cameras out longer and get more images transmitted. If high resolution images are a priority, running a single camera on its own plan is the best solution at this time.

Was not sure where to post this question. Will the 4D battery pack on the J1521 fit and work on the J1415 and J1422? If so, will it be available as a separate item to replace the 3495 or can the 3495 be put on the J1521?

Was not sure where to post this question. Will the 4D battery pack on the J1521 fit and work on the J1415 and J1422? If so, will it be available as a separate item to replace the 3495 or can the 3495 be put on the J1521?
As Mr Volkman stated above, the 3495 can be installed on the 1521's but I'm not sure if the 4D pack can be installed on the J1415's & J1422's

all the J series battery packs are interchangeable , eventually we will have the 4 d pack for sale as an accessory but it will be a while before that happens.

all the J series battery packs are interchangeable , eventually we will have the 4 d pack for sale as an accessory but it will be a while before that happens.
Maybe I missed it but how are the J cameras with 4 D batteries supposed to be better than the J's that have 6 D battery pack?

Maybe I missed it but how are the J cameras with 4 D batteries supposed to be better than the J's that have 6 D battery pack?
running the 4 d pack with a 6 d booster allows the camera to recognize the differences in voltage and thus you see status on the report and know which pack is in use and the battery level. When running the AA pack or a 6 d pack with a booster the voltage is the same on all so the camera runs all the batteries at the same time.