Archery Hunters what are you seeing?

Slow tonight

4 does

Two does came thru tonight. Close range at dark. Had to wait a long time for them to leave.....so I climb down and could go home.

Had changed stands an hour earlier. Had one doe walk RIGHT on the same path I had followed. Then laid down for a bit on the side of the trail. Never smelled my rubber boots with no-scent spray. Remarkable.

Very slow tonight. The Rut ain't on yet. Just a few little dinks stirring up trouble for a few doe's is all!

I saw a decent 9 at 1600, a little 6 chasing a doe, and around 8 does. had a freaking coyote bust me, when I was just getting ready to shoot. I hate coyotes. Grrrrr

Two does came thru tonight. Close range at dark. Had to wait a long time for them to leave.....so I climb down and could go home.

Had changed stands an hour earlier. Had one doe walk RIGHT on the same path I had followed. Then laid down for a bit on the side of the trail. Never smelled my rubber boots with no-scent spray. Remarkable.

Are you in farm country foggy? The only reason I ask is because I've got a theory that deer in farm country are more used to human scent and will tolerate it a lot more then the deer in big forest areas. When I shot my biggest buck on my mn property he was 30 yards away and straight down wind and didn't show any signs of being spooked until the 130 gr partition went threw him. I think they rely much more on their eyes and ears in ag country then their nose because of all the human encroachment.

Last edited:
Are you in farm country foggy? The only reason I ask is because I've got a theory that deer in farm country are more used to human scent and will tolerate it a lot more then the deer in big forest areas. When I shot my biggest buck on my mn property he was 30 yards away and straight down wind and didn't show any signs of being spooked until the 130 gr partition went threw him. I think they rely much more on their eyes in ag country then their nose because of all the human encroachment.

My land is all woods. There is somewhat of a mix of ag and rangeland and woods in my area. I've not had problems with being scented in my box blinds.....and spraying my rubber boots has proven to work quite well. We generally ride to stands (where feasible) on an electric golf cart on opening weekend......and try to keep the scent down in the woods.

Nothing but squirrels tonight.

I'm a firm believer that deer on a property (especially does and fawns) become "accustomed" to a particular human scent when they're exposed to it frequently. I can't tell you how many times I should have been busted on my old place, but wasn't. Have a friend hunt (whose scent was "new") under the same conditions and deer would spook. A totally anecdotal observation, but I do believe it has at least some merit.

I have hunted many places in many states and can verify you are correct. But it was only the scent of the guy they knew for years that was tolerated.

Beautiful morning to finally be on the stand. Had two 1.5 old bucks cruise by at 30 yds and I got a pocket full of Halloween candy to keep me warm. Life is good!

Little fork walked by about 2 minutes after I stopped moving in (climber), then I came out around 10:30 with frozen toes. The heater packs the Mrs. got on clearance aren't as good as the ones I get and my muck boots aren't insulated. Looks like I need to head into town for some new ones.

I'm a firm believer that deer on a property (especially does and fawns) become "accustomed" to a particular human scent when they're exposed to it frequently. I can't tell you how many times I should have been busted on my old place, but wasn't. Have a friend hunt (whose scent was "new") under the same conditions and deer would spook. A totally anecdotal observation, but I do believe it has at least some merit.
Interesting theory. I rarely if ever get winded on my Pop's place. I spend lots of time throughout the year in those woods. Others on the property that only see the woods during hunting season seem to have more of an issue. I always assumed I was just a little better at keeping the scent down, but maybe there is more to it.

There's more to it. :)

My resident does have come within 10 yards of me while on the ground and sweaty from working. Down wind, tails up, eye contact, but not spooked. They're not quite ready to be petted, but they certainly aren't overly cautious either.

I agree deer become habituated to non threatening sights and smells. Hunting is slow here, very few reports of good bucks being arowed. I had very little activity on trailcams that I pulled last week, saw about the same while hunting. Hopefully things change this week.

I was out for the first time this morning. Zero deer.
Better days are ahead and only 1.5 days of work in the next 16 days!

Havent seen a deer since Sat evening. Clear skies, near full moon guessing has movement going at night.

Heading back out now. Someone needs to tell the deer that they can rut during daylight. :)

My father in law has deer behind his house that he plants plots for and feeds them out of a trough and you can get pretty dang close to them. I know that the group of 8 or 10 does brings a lot of bucks around his place this time of year

The woodpeckers and some other birds are around this afternoon, but I haven't seen anything with four legs yet.

Quiet tonight. Like a frog at a fish fry.

My hopes have risen a tad. Pulled the cards Saturday and I had 5 new bucks show up this week. That brings the total to 7. One is a nice 3.5 8 point which is very rare for my area. Got some cool pics of him kicking the snot out of my resident 4 point. I also had my first pic of a 1.5 yo spike show up, this is the first yearling buck I have seen since June. Reports all over the area are of no deer at all. I am hoping the few does I have using my plots will bring in all the bucks for miles around! Just like the magic seed bag says.

Sat from 9:00am to close today...did not see a deer.