Archery Hunters what are you seeing?

I saw six deer tonight. One smaller buck.....and two of those I bumped on my way out. Three does at 20 yards for about 20 minutes. So far I've had six deer within bow range....and saw another 6. 12 total in 5 sits of about 3 hours each....one nite was a bust.

Just before leaving my stand I had coyotes start howling at close range from every direction around me. Did a few lip squeeks.....but no dice. I got too many coyotes. Grrrrr.

I saw 3 deer last Friday morning, which was maybe only 2 unique ones. Didn't get a good look at them, spooked the first two when walking out. There was a small 5 pt that was on the trail cam a couple hundred yards away early that morning, so could he could have been one of them.

Saw 2 does and 2 fawns Friday evening.

Spooked 3 deer when I walked out for a late morning sit on Saturday. 2 on the way in and one on the out.

Saturday evening I saw 12 deer and at least 11 unique ones. Does and fawns and two spikes. The spikes were with either yearling does or possibly another doe and a fawn. No rut action at all. The first ones on the Saturday evening sit showed up at about 4:20.

4 of the 6 trail cameras were not working the last 1-3 weeks, so we don't have much of an idea of what is out there lately. Other than wolves on Sunday morning..

Sat from 9:00am to close today...did not see a deer.
You must have been sitting in a stand by me?

One 2.5 yr old 4x4 this a.m.. He was in the wandering around mode, definitely not in a hurry to cover any ground. Otherwise a couple of does in some CRP that seemed to be alone. Slow and frosty this a.m.. I will give it another shot tonight in a different stand.

Shot this 3.5 year old 8 pointer at 3:30 Sunday. I grunted him in from a CRP field.
I hit him a little back but with help of friends we tracked him down yesterdayTerrace (CRP) buck.jpg morning and found him!! Very happy with him

Story on Successful Hunts Thread

West Central Minnesota

My buddy is hunting the sanctuary today. Got the right wind and he will stay all day as they are moving a little. I however will be finishing up some farm work in MN the next 3 days. :mad:

You must have been sitting in a stand by me?

Trying it again today, different stand though. 3.5hrs in so far and no deer sightings. Windy as hell but the sun came out.

I just got back from 4 days in wisconsin. saw one buck chasing a doe and 2 1.5 year olds fighting 20 yards from my stand. that was pretty cool. I ended up shooting a small'ish 8 point Sunday night. It was on public land, I probably wouldn't have shot him on my land.

now for 3 weeks of hunting with the kids...

Last edited:
Saw nothing this morning.

I had a good sized poor racked fork come by last night about 4:15 and thought about putting him in the freezer. I'm guessing he was 2.5yrs old. Him and a fawn are the only deer I've seen in person this year.

Friday night he might get it yet.

Slow tonight. Just 2 anterless deer, probably both fawns. One was a button buck, at some point during the season one always cracks me up! :)This one was feeling his oats and had no idea what to do about it. Watched him proceed to paw a hole in a sandbar in the creek (I assume his attempt at making a scrape), sand was flying everywhere. Then he would go into his bucking bronco routine, only to return to trying to dig to China.

Saw nothing this morning.
And saw nothing this afternoon. I drive about 6 miles back and forth to the stand and come home for lunch. After two days, I have seen one fawn in the headlights.

Yes, this an area where our Area Manager figures we needed 8 doe tags!

Saw a 1.5yr old buck yesterday on a 6 hour sit. He was skittish and looked like he was headed to my corn/bean plot. Not much action on cams either.

I hunted a bit this morning but hung the bow up. I'm drying clothes out and getting packed for the rifle season.

It has been slow for me. A couple of night time pics at the last two spots I hunted the last 3 days. Not seeing anything traveling to or from spots. I have seen 1 deer in over a month of traveling the north roads. Just got in to dry out also. Snowing, but might as well be rain.

Had a button and momma hang out under me for about 40 minutes today starting around 3 pm. She dropped a deuce, but didn't pee, so I don't know if the big boys will check the area more closely or not.

It was snowing, so I didn't get any pics. It was cool having her 27' below me, looking up, sniffing, and not concerned at all. :)

Saw 8 deer tonight. I think all were does.....but hard to know on two of em thru the brush. Four were in bow range......and two others were in gun range. Two does munching turnips at too-dark-thirty......and.....I'm hanging in there waiting on this buck....as I had heard a grunt just before this. A coyote rushes in and puts the chase on my two "decoys"....and blows the whole deal. I got coyote problems.

Was a great nite to sit tho......and the activity is really good now. Lite snow was falling all afternoon. Calm...perfect perfect conditions....but no dice. That was my last sit before the gun opener on Sat. I do have good deer population (and coyotes) on my land for this years gun hunt.

Good luck, foggy and shshh one a bit north if you get the chance!

I had my #1 buck just out of range this morning and my #4 buck got the pass at 8 yds. Snow on the ground and big boys are out.

Good luck, foggy and shshh one a bit north if you get the chance!

yep.....I'll shush one toward you....if you shush one to me. :)