A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Native, do you have any thoughts on what your buck to doe ratio is for one or both of your properties? I know you have mentioned a few times you don't worry about it, but I'm curious what it might be. If not, any idea what your deer density could be?
I’ve noticed that in the last couple of years that the doe ratio is increasing some. However, the last few cam checks I’ve actually got more bucks than does. Maybe it could have something to do with fawns or nearby crops. I’m going to estimate that by fall when everything piles in here that I would be 65% does and fawns and 35% bucks. But most of those bucks will be younger class. At that time there will be like 35 deer here, and a year that has 3 shooters would be considered very good.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that in the last couple of years that the doe ratio is increasing some. However, the last few cam checks I’ve actually got more bucks than does. Maybe it could have something to do with fawns or nearby crops. I’m going to estimate that by fall when everything piles in here that I would be 65% does and fawns and 35% bucks. But most of those bucks will be younger class. At that time there will be like 35 deer here, and a year that has 3 shooters would be considered very good.
That is very interesting. I appreciate the response. It seems like you often have multiple mature bucks on your properties and I have been trying to learn more about whether mature bucks will tolerate doe and fawn groups or higher deer numbers.

That is very interesting. I appreciate the response. It seems like you often have multiple mature bucks on your properties and I have been trying to learn more about whether mature bucks will tolerate doe and fawn groups or higher deer numbers.
During the summer they do use different areas of the place. The does have the North and West, and the bucks take the South and East. But they all come to the plots that are mostly in the center. The areas that the does take are the ones nearest civilization. But when the rut comes, anything can show up anywhere.

During the summer they do use different areas of the place. The does have the North and West, and the bucks take the South and East. But they all come to the plots that are mostly in the center. The areas that the does take are the ones nearest civilization. But when the rut comes, anything can show up anywhere.
Are there differences in the habitat types in those areas?

I have a very high deer density - maybe one deer per five acres. Mature bucks, at least at my place, are right at home with does around.

Got my deer from last year back today. Taxidermist aged him at 6.5, which is what I was guessing. He said the deer had bred so many does there was hardly any hair left in his chest.
IMG_3181.jpeg
IMG_3177.jpeg

Sounds like he lived a good life! The mount looks great!

He's a beaut!! Congrats on another wall-hanger.

Some very nice Deer Native. I'm partial to capt hook (hooked browtine).

Some very nice Deer Native. I'm partial to capt hook (hooked browtine).
I got to see Capt Hook for the first time today. Was going to do some work but went to my blind first since it was really early. He was following a smaller buck and they were passing through a NWSG field. They stopped at a food plot where I seldom go and took a few bites. I can't be sure, but after that I believe they laid down at a cedar tree that fell back in the spring. In three more weeks they would have been hidden in that field (after the grass bolts).

Last edited:
I built a trail through a thicket 30 yards from my blind in preparation for bow and Xbow season. The deer I'm going to hunt isn't using the trail yet, but I am starting to get good buck traffic. If the right one starts coming through it should be a good shot for either the Matthews or Ravin. My blind is just to the left of the picture - a tad over 30 yards.

qr1-IMG_0475.JPG

qr1-IMG_0414.JPG
qr1-IMG_0359.JPG

qr1-IMG_0288.JPG

Great bucks!

I notice heat still approaching 90 degrees at dusk

bill