A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Great bucks!

I notice heat still approaching 90 degrees at dusk

bill
Yes, we are in an oven here and one of the worst droughts I’ve seen for a while. Temps just shy of 100 in mid afternoon and no rain in sight.

There is something I love about the prairie at this time of year. Maybe it’s the beauty, maybe because it’s full of deer, maybe both….
IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_3339.jpeg
Split ear was pushing daylight this morning. But he is a cautious fellow so far this year. I passed him last year during gun season but he is a possible target this year. I have one better but he is in hiding right now.

rr1-RCNX0148.jpeg

Summer hangs on but signs of the changing season are in the air.

or3-IMG_0258.JPG

rr5-IMG_0589.JPG

03-IMG_0121.JPG
rr3-IMG_0071.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome as always! Do you think your prairies look like they would have when let’s say Lewis and Clark would have been around? Better? Worse? Different composition of grasses and forbs? What do you think? They obviously look fantastic! But I often wonder how they compare to the original landscape. Obviously we will never know for sure, but it’s fun to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome as always! Do you think your prairies look like they would have when let’s say Lewis and Clark would have been around? Better? Worse? Different composition of grasses and forbs? What do you think? They obviously look fantastic! But I often wonder how they compare to the original landscape. Obviously we will never know for sure, but it’s fun to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in Kentucky we may have had more canebrakes (cane - tucky) than prairies. However, most everything in my prairie came from the seedbank on my land or land not really that far away. Prairies fascinate me, because I see how much maintenance there is in my area to keep one going. If you do nothing, in a few years the trees will take over. However, out west that didn't seem to be the case. I've tried over the years to study up on this, and even though I have some understanding of it, my understanding is not complete.

Once I had a guy to visit my place who was somewhat of an expert in prairies. As we left he called someone on the phone and said, "...you won't believe what I just saw - a remnant Kansas prairie in Kentucky...." I will always remember that.

Been a while since I have done an update. Not much new except that my #1 target for this year is missing in action right now. I hope he is still alive and comes back. Here are a few pics for your enjoyment:

rr1-RCNX0148.jpeg

v1-IMG_0062.jpeg

vr8-IMG_0615.JPG

yr8-IMG_3756.JPG
cr-4-IMG_0130.JPG
c1-IMG_0017.JPG
cr12-IMG_0093.JPG
cr10-IMG_1458.JPG

b3-IMG_0528.JPG

Attachments

• cr11-IMG_1494.JPG
    cr11-IMG_1494.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 8
Been a while since I have done an update. Not much new except that my #1 target for this year is missing in action right now. I hope he is still alive and comes back. Here are a few pics for your enjoyment:

View attachment 58475

View attachment 58476

View attachment 58477

View attachment 58478
View attachment 58479
View attachment 58480
View attachment 58481
View attachment 58482

View attachment 58484
Your bad years are my dream ones. ha

I think in Kentucky we may have had more canebrakes (cane - tucky) than prairies. However, most everything in my prairie came from the seedbank on my land or land not really that far away. Prairies fascinate me, because I see how much maintenance there is in my area to keep one going. If you do nothing, in a few years the trees will take over. However, out west that didn't seem to be the case. I've tried over the years to study up on this, and even though I have some understanding of it, my understanding is not complete.

Once I had a guy to visit my place who was somewhat of an expert in prairies. As we left he called someone on the phone and said, "...you won't believe what I just saw - a remnant Kansas prairie in Kentucky...." I will always remember that.
Native, I know you said you haven't used fire. How if you kept tree sprouts down? Cutting? Spraying? Did you spray whole area or direct spray saplings? How long did it take to deplete the seed bank for the hardwods? How many acres do you have in prairie?

Native, I know you said you haven't used fire. How if you kept tree sprouts down? Cutting? Spraying? Did you spray whole area or direct spray saplings? How long did it take to deplete the seed bank for the hardwods? How many acres do you have in prairie?
I have roughly 58 acres in prairie. I do spot spraying in the late spring with my pickup truck. My worst tree for causing sprouts in the prairie is sweetgum, but earlier this year I had a logger to come in and take out the ones that were causing the most problems. They were big enough that I actually got some income from the trees. Most other trees can be handled with occasional mowing, and if they do keep growing I can spray them too.

I have roughly 58 acres in prairie. I do spot spraying in the late spring with my pickup truck. My worst tree for causing sprouts in the prairie is sweetgum, but earlier this year I had a logger to come in and take out the ones that were causing the most problems. They were big enough that I actually got some income from the trees. Most other trees can be handled with occasional mowing, and if they do keep growing I can spray them too.

I use remedy/diesel in a four gallon back pack sprayer for basal spraying

I look like Im auditioning for Ghostbusters ( mask, gloves,goggles,etc)

Who ya gonna call?

bill

I use remedy/diesel in a four gallon back pack sprayer for basal spraying

I look like Im auditioning for Ghostbusters ( mask, gloves,goggles,etc)

Who ya gonna call?

bill
Bill, I need you on speed dial.

Today I ended my season by taking out the old bully buck at my 20 acre place. My son isn’t hunting during rifle season but may decide to hunt our December ML. This old buck has been aggressive, and I thought it might be good to open up a spot for another deer.

When I hunt this place in mornings, I wait until daylight to walk in, because I have to cross an open field. I think I have less of a chance spooking deer that way, because I can watch and back up if necessary. But, I did spook two small does right at the blind. However, once I got in the blind I could see several others out in the woods feeding that had no idea I was around.

In about 30 minutes I looked back toward my truck and saw this deer crossing the field and headed toward the does. He was less than 250 yards, and the 308 made a big exit hole on a double lung shot.

I’m going to keep watching cameras and will see if we get a good one to fill the hole for my son in December. We had a couple of dandies early in the year, but they haven’t shown for a long time.

IMG_3637.jpeg

Today I ended my season by taking out the old bully buck at my 20 acre place. My son isn’t hunting during rifle season but may decide to hunt our December ML. This old buck has been aggressive, and I thought it might be good to open up a spot for another deer.

When I hunt this place in mornings, I wait until daylight to walk in, because I have to cross an open field. I think I have less of a chance spooking deer that way, because I can watch and back up if necessary. But, I did spook two small does right at the blind. However, once I got in the blind I could see several others out in the woods feeding that had no idea I was around.

In about 30 minutes I looked back toward my truck and saw this deer crossing the field and headed toward the does. He was less than 250 yards, and the 308 made a big exit hole on a double lung shot.

I’m going to keep watching cameras and will see if we get a good one to fill the hole for my son in December. We had a couple of dandies early in the year, but they haven’t shown for a long time.

View attachment 59543
Good buck Steve!

Congrats! Will be neat to see if removing him will allow some other bucks to use the area now.

Congrats Native!

Do you have anything special setup for a shooting rest in your blinds? I know you've mentioned some fairly long shot opportunities with how your property lays out.

Congrats Native!

Do you have anything special setup for a shooting rest in your blinds? I know you've mentioned some fairly long shot opportunities with how your property lays out.
Thanks, I have made little table tops at each window where a long shot can be made. I just used plain 2x12 lumber and screwed them in real solid. On those you can lay sandbags and I also have one of the Caldwell Tack Driver bags handy if you need to be elevated a little more. Either way it is very stable.

Congrats! Will be neat to see if removing him will allow some other bucks to use the area now.
Thanks, That is exactly my thinking too. I actually passed some bucks in ML and crossbow season that would outscore this one, but they had potential and this one had reached his limit.

PS - three years ago I had 3 deer on this place that would go over 160. I long to see those days again.

Thanks, That is exactly my thinking too. I actually passed some bucks in ML and crossbow season that would outscore this one, but they had potential and this one had reached his limit.

PS - three years ago I had 3 deer on this place that would go over 160. I long to see those days again.
It comes in waves doesn't it? I have a couple nice mature bucks to chase this year. A lot of years I have to hope the rut brings one in.

It comes in waves doesn't it? I have a couple nice mature bucks to chase this year. A lot of years I have to hope the rut brings one in.
Yes, I guess we could say it is a lot like the stock market!

Native, hope you don't mind a question...how long had you been working on your property when you started to see real success, or at least meet the goals you had set for your property?

Native, hope you don't mind a question...how long had you been working on your property when you started to see real success, or at least meet the goals you had set for your property?

I don't mind answering that question at all Mozark. On my 100 acres place where I have the native grasses, the change was obvious the next year when the grasses started making good cover. I had some good bucks to filter in from the surrounding areas quickly. Good cover trumps everything else in my opinion for old bucks. Before we put in the NWSGs, my dad was farming cattle there, and my fields were fescue. So, adding cover really made a difference quickly. Food plots and fruit trees are kind of like icing on the cake. They help, but cover is king.

At my 20 acre place about all I can do over there is hinge cut unless I want to take the 7 acre field out of soybeans/corn. Since I don't have equipment over there to manage a field, I choose to just keep it in crops rented out to a farmer. But when i started hinge cutting over there and making the woods thicker, I could see an improvement on camera pictures within 2 years. So far, I haven't given this place as much attention as the other place, but my plans are to do even more hinge cutting, which I feel will really help me. I passed a nice 140 over there this year during ML season that came out right at dark. He had to have been bedded right in one of my spots that I had thickened up.

I still have goals to reach at both places, but I guess that's a good thing, because it keeps me working and on my feet.