A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Some awesome pictures. I love any pictures with terrain. I only frequent flat ground.

Thanks. Your mower looks like it does a good job cutting through that rye.

Native - Nice gobbler !! All the pix in post #633 show you're clearly doing something wrong !!! - - - - MAN, what nice looking plots. Fruit set looks great too. Nice flock of turkeys. Big gobblers there strutting. A-OK at your place.
Did Dad smoke the yote ??

Native - Nice gobbler !! All the pix in post #633 show you're clearly doing something wrong !!! - - - - MAN, what nice looking plots. Fruit set looks great too. Nice flock of turkeys. Big gobblers there strutting. A-OK at your place.
Did Dad smoke the yote ??

Thanks Bows. I got that yote trying to eat my decoy, and dad doesn't ever go turkey hunting. He is going to help me mow native grasses next week. His plan is to mow just a few acres around the tower blind and hunt yotes the next couple of days before we finish mowing. He knows how they like to come to a mowed field and thinks mowing close to the blind will help narrow them down for a shot. I hope his plan works. I'm getting a couple on cameras, but not very many at this time.

That's a cool plan your Dad has - almost like a lure for the yotes. Please tell him good luck on the dogs. It sounds like he knows their habits as far as mowed fields go.
That's interesting that the decoy suckered the yote you shot.

I wanted to ask you since you posted pix of some of your mixed plots - do you mix you own percentages of each seed ?? What % of med. red clover, crimson, chicory, rye, etc., do you mix so they don't compete against each other to the point of failure of one or several ??

Last edited:
That's a cool plan your Dad has - almost like a lure for the yotes. Please tell him good luck on the dogs. It sounds like he knows their habits as far as mowed fields go.
That's interesting that the decoy suckered the yote you shot.

I have a good friend who was turkey hunting with a buddy a few years ago. They had decoys set out and a yote came in and grabbed one so fast that they couldn't even get their guns raised up in time to get a shot before he got completely away. Yote left with the decoy and they never saw it again. :emoji_grimacing: I got lucky and saw that one coming a long time before he arrived. We didn't realize it until we got up after I shot him, but he had made the nearby turkeys fly back up into the trees as he arrived on the scene. I've seen this happen before when turkey hunting. If you see birds fly back up soon after they come off the roost - get ready to see a yote soon.

6-1-19 Update:

NWSGs rebounding from recent mowing. Won't be long until it will be a wall of grass 8+ feet tall:

pYI3sT9h.jpg

rjVaPKsh.jpg

Fruit coming on strong:

oQptYuIh.jpg

H9iGRpsh.jpg

vZwiASth.jpg

udm9GETh.jpg

rcXSy3Rh.jpg

pwz08evh.jpg

khIewXHh.jpg

5JqC3GGh.jpg

FbUqCZ7h.jpg

Deer:

PueWruUh.jpg

xVD0URKh.jpg

mU49ogAh.jpg

RzVkZaUh.jpg

Our deer from last fall in their final resting place:

75qFgZHh.jpg

90UmtN1h.jpg

Looking awesome as always Steve! I do love seeing everything growing this time of the year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Looks great. My brother and I are supposed to pick up our deer Monday. I hope we like them. Told the taxidermist to put them on the form he felt was best. He is the pro after all. Fingers crossed.

Looks great. My brother and I are supposed to pick up our deer Monday. I hope we like them. Told the taxidermist to put them on the form he felt was best. He is the pro after all. Fingers crossed.

I just know they will look great. They were both hogs!!!!

Well Steve - you've got lots of diversity at your places. Critter smorgasbord and it ALL looks good. Those mulberries are making my mouth water. I hope you'll get some of those for the family ?? Blueberries look great too. Deer growing good racks for you ………… no surprise there. Wall décor is pretty impressive - nice bucks !! Slice of heaven you have going on there !!

I wish we could grow hazelnuts and mulberries at camp - waste of time with bears. Mulberry trees might go, but the birds would get 'em all - and if I'm going to put effort into them - I WANT some !!

Well Steve - you've got lots of diversity at your places. Critter smorgasbord and it ALL looks good. Those mulberries are making my mouth water. I hope you'll get some of those for the family ?? Blueberries look great too. Deer growing good racks for you ………… no surprise there. Wall décor is pretty impressive - nice bucks !! Slice of heaven you have going on there !!

I wish we could grow hazelnuts and mulberries at camp - waste of time with bears. Mulberry trees might go, but the birds would get 'em all - and if I'm going to put effort into them - I WANT some !!

Bows, get you an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry and put it in a space where you have lots of room. Don't trim the low limbs and let it bush out. The tree will get 35 feet tall and 35 feet wide. Even with a massive amount of birds around, you will still get lots of mulberries for yourself on the low limbs. We can count 25-30 birds at times in our tree, but still seem to get all the berries we want. The taste is amazing. Plus, IE ripens over a much longer time than regular mulberry. It goes on for weeks.

The squirrels are hard on the hazelnuts in my yard, but at the farm, I seem to get more. I think the squirrels are afraid to venture into the grassy jungle to get to them. They like my mowed and safe yard.....

PS: Bumper apple and pear crop this year. Will be updating my recommended list later in the year.

^^^ I can just imagine a mulberry pie, and berries on vanilla ice cream !! I'd have to make some jam too. Guess I better look for a spot to plant one.

I always enjoy seeing the variety you have there Native, awesome place.

The neighbor put in 70 acres of corn instead of soybeans this year. I can tell that my summer food plots are being hit much harder this year than last year when the soybeans were close. The deer still have some beans, but they are further away and not as convenient.

kAjSFiWh.jpg

The soybeans at my creek farm property are looking good. They do beans every year over there.

1CGsV32h.jpg

This is a sample of what I'm seeing on cameras so far. Not as impressive as last year at this time but still nice for our area.

bRtlm21h.jpg

FTpWByTh.jpg

WUD4cbyh.jpg

inKaCAoh.jpg

Y28Y4klh.jpg

IetohcGh.jpg

6eT1EEdh.jpg

qHgUkWyh.jpg

wAmvT93h.jpg

I've been killing these dang thistles. This kind is native, but I still don't like many of them around. I think I've got a pretty good handle on them and will hit them again next year.

HBm2DTUh.jpg

These Bevan's Favorite apples are awesome. Been eating more than one a day to keep all the doctors away.

5qkaZiHh.jpg

Awesome! That corn should be great come October. I have hunted a lot in wood lots adjacent to corn, and it's fantastic.

Awesome! That corn should be great come October. I have hunted a lot in wood lots adjacent to corn, and it's fantastic.

The corn field comes right up to the edge of my tall native grasses. I'm expecting a lot of back and forth deer traffic.

Looks good! Looks like you just reload on the bucks each year.

Good looking bucks.

Hopefully the corn went in and comes out early...

You guys have corn silking already?! Wow I'd say it's early enough and will be coming out before Thanksgiving! Nice updates.