A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Nah, don't bother going to the trouble to look it up. I was a kid when ours was planted. I was just curious if you had it at the top of your head. I think they went heavy on big and little bluestem at our place. I seem to remember buffalo grass but don't recall if that was included in the mix or just a consideration. I do recall some sunflower mixed in but never recall seeing any. That's interesting that deer use it in the Fall and Winter. I wonder if perhaps they don't use mine because it's cut for hay midseason. It still gets to about 4 or 5 feet. I dunno.

Either way, you have a great place there Native! Also, thanks for your help in creating a list of trees that grow well for you. I used that last year and will again this year when selecting varieties! I think I got a good base for deer, I may branch out a bit with shrubs next year in addition to adding some apples/crabapples. Keep us posted on everything!

You are very welcome for any ways that I have helped. At the end of this season I’m going to have some apples to add to the approved list.

PFbCgR6.jpg

mYrxXAqh.jpg

S1VEaHr.jpg

Hh7WCWf.jpg

CnlrQjM.jpg

^^^^Damn!

I've been remiss on keeping this thread up to date this year. I will try to catch up a little.

Our 2 day ML season opens two weeks from today. I checked our ML today, which hadn't been shot since last year when my son took his big 8 with it. Looks like it is going to hold a zero extremely well from year to year.

gimtw09h.jpg

Deer pictures are slow due to drought and hot temps, but they moved a little last week. Hope it picks up soon. Most of our bucks need another year, but this one looks old enough to hunt. That neck is starting to fill out well.

VRYa6pjh.jpg

Incredible chestnut year:

7WOnkBJh.jpg

eoJyozHh.jpg

W5bYhAah.jpg

Lots of Sawtooths this year.

yNc1YIhh.jpg

Pears, persimmons, apples and other fruit incredible this year:

y42zcQqh.jpg

a7Q8W2bh.jpg

2Fgu3k1h.jpg

CtQGR8Nh.jpg

UVtvHUuh.jpg

s2vWd0Jh.jpg

Food plots planted this year:

VwJvpAph.jpg

mDewsXUh.jpg

Native grass cover is great this year. Was colorful and starting to brown out now.

p3H2Bnah.jpg

7h9wCsWh.jpg

FgU3ytEh.jpg

YPonUz2h.jpg

That's about it guys. Until the weather breaks and the deer get to moving more, I'm just in idle mode. However, we will hunt with the ML in two weeks. Wish us luck.

Last edited:
Looks good! Looks like your plots ended up getting some rain.

Looks good! Looks like your plots ended up getting some rain.

Thanks Scott. That is the low ground end of the plot that gets some shade and better morning dews. It's hard to believe, but it's now been like 36 days or so since any rain on that plot, but it is coming tonight and tomorrow - finallly...!!!!

Good luck!

I’d say the smoke pole is right where it needs to be...

Everything looks good Native! Good luck with the deer. That sure is a nice buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything looks good Native! Good luck with the deer. That sure is a nice buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. It looks like our weather may finally be changing tonight. In two more weeks it might actually feel like deer hunting time.

Thanks Scott. That is the low ground end of the plot that gets some shade and better morning dews. It's hard to believe, but it's now been like 36 days or so since any rain on that plot, but it is coming tonight and tomorrow - finallly...!!!!
Imagine what they would look like if you had recieved some rain, they still look good.

Thanks for the update Steve! Always enjoy
What is all in your native grass mix?

Thanks for the update Steve! Always enjoy
What is all in your native grass mix?

Thanks Jordan.

In grasses I have Big Blue, Little Blue, Switch and Indian. They say that Switch is the most aggressive, but I have noticed Indian gaining more ground in recent years. That's fine with me, because it is a good tall grass that stands our winters well.

In forbs, the most prominent ones are tick trefoil, goldenrod, tickseed sunflower and partridge pea. These seem to be strong enough to come back significantly each year and compete well with the grasses. Some of the other forbs we planted such as Illinois Bundleflower, purple coneflower, etc. will still show up occasionally, but are not significant.

Thanks Jordan.

In grasses I have Big Blue, Little Blue, Switch and Indian. They say that Switch is the most aggressive, but I have noticed Indian gaining more ground in recent years. That's fine with me, because it is a good tall grass that stands our winters well.

In forbs, the most prominent ones are tick trefoil, goldenrod, tickseed sunflower and partridge pea. These seem to be strong enough to come back significantly each year and compete well with the grasses. Some of the other forbs we planted such as Illinois Bundleflower, purple coneflower, etc. will still show up occasionally, but are not significant.
Thanks Steve

It's been a long time since my last update. We hunted the muzzleloader season and passed a nice deer that we felt might be 3 years old. After looking at recent pictures I could be convinced he was 4 years old. My neighbor harvested this deer and I can't blame him at all. In our part of the country, a deer this pretty is hard to come by. He is a good neighbor, and I'm glad for him. Below is two of the last pics I had of the deer. He was killed about 3/4 of a mile away.

J3Qd6B3.jpg

YfHi5Wx.jpg

My son had to get back to work, so I've been hunting by myself the last few days. My dad was sick, so I didn't go out early this morning until very late. I went to the new place on the creek bluff. After I left the place we park the truck and started across the field, I had a doe to come running wide open over the top of the ridge. I squatted down and waited, and not far behind her came the old one eyed 8 point that we've got a few pictures of this year. He was very elusive. In the entire year I had only had pictures of him about 5 times, and all of those were in the wee hours of the morning. The doe is heat had brought him out late in the morning and ready to go. He slowed down after he topped the ridge, and I was able to make a high lung shot and bring him down. I was very happy to take an only buck like this at the new place, but thought it would be from my new blind instead of standing on the ground....:)

The taxidermist did a very quick measure of him and said between 145 - 148. He said the deer looked ancient (and I agree) and said he would try to give me an age once he could examine the teeth better. The deer had a 19 3/4 inside spread and 5 1/2 inch bases.

Hh7WCWf.jpg

UhHmGVN.jpg

yQYuAHi.jpg

xPgaN9x.jpg

A few other pics from season:

L960i3I.jpg

xf2vNbZ.jpg

sBL4mgW.jpg

JiqfeJi.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. That ends my season. This gave us plenty of meat, so we don't need any does.

Last edited:
Congrats to you NH and to your neighbor!

Congrats NH, pretty buck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Congratulations NH. He’s a nice one, again. :)

Great buck Steve! I love those big eights. Hope your dad is well.​

This made my night! Congrats Steve!