Wisconsin Gun Opener Saturday

With a haul like that don’t forget to pack some toilet paper 😂

And of course we cannot forget cheese & sausage. We do Braunschweiger, multiple cheese, and a whole bunch of venison sausage & jerky. Then there are liverwurst sandwiches with onions. You add good ole Stevens Point bock beer and you have a real potent mix.

You eat enough of this stuff and you won't need toilet paper for about a week 😲😜😂

I always carry a roll of TP in my pack just in case. Of course last year opening morning I forgot to pack it. Sitting up on a ridge my guts started to gurgle. No way I was making it back to camp. I sacrificed an extra orange knit hat I had.

Leaves are effective. Wouldn't sacrifice clothing!

I always carry a roll of TP in my pack just in case. Of course last year opening morning I forgot to pack it. Sitting up on a ridge my guts started to gurgle. No way I was making it back to camp. I sacrificed an extra orange knit hat I had.
Dan is that you?

Sorry, a friend that I use to hunt with, would never come back in from the woods with both gloves, or both socks because he would always have to shit. Years later when I bought my land, and he came to hunt, I would be out scouting, and find last years glove, sock, hat laying by where he hunted.

And now there's another complication. One of the guys can stop by Miesfeld's 25 Flavors of Bratwurst in Sheboygan and is asking what flavors of bratwurst to bring. This deer hunting thing is getting way too complicated.

If he's confused by that, send him over to Pelkins in Suamico or Crivitz. They've got 80 flavors of bratwurst. I think it's a little overboard, but hey if people buy them.

My high school buddy was known to forget toilet paper and have emergencies in the woods, which meant he would be occasionally come back to the truck missing a glove, sock, etc. He took a new friend out hunting and this guy was walking back to the truck and he saw one of Todd's gloves sitting in an odd spot in the woods, so without thinking he picked it up to carry it back to the truck. The new guy learned that you need to be very careful picking up a glove or sock that is sitting in the woods.

That's what t-shirts with pockets and t-shirts with sleeves are for! My buddies want me to go out for hot wings the night before opener this week. I should probably kick my own ass, but I declined. Any night but that one, haha.

Well, I suppose it’s time now for the Grandpa Deer Habitat Rehabilitation story you'd hear in my hunting camp this weekend and that is told every year for the benefit of future generations:

-- Around 1900, my neighbor (long passed) saw a wild animal on the farm and asked his parents what it was. They replied that they didn't know, but thought maybe it was what people call a "deer".

-- By the 1930s, the wild animal habitat in our area was totally destroyed. The aerial photos that the State of Wisconsin took show the neighborhood devoid of trees and even the alders in the low lying areas had been clearcut. The erosion was so bad that you can see deep washouts everywhere and multi-acre alluvial fans of subsoil on the fields below the ridges.

-- In the 1950s and 1960s, guys (our neighbors’ parents and my parents) started buying the land by paying the back taxes or up to $100 per acre for some of the parcels. They started reforesting the area.

-- 1970s: Us kids were helping with the reforestation. The deer started to expand into our neighborhood.

-- 1990s: We started having neighborhood conservation meetings about how to work together. We increased our habitat rehabilitation efforts with improved knowledge.

-- 2020s: On the way to our stands on any given day of the gun deer season, we will walk past deer and all sorts of other wild creatures. Some of us, myself included, are now working from hundred year plans for habitat management plans at this point.

Heading to my camp for at least the weekend, maybe longer. Haven't decided what's on the menu yet. Warm weather on the forecast for opener, but you never know what comes through on opening day!

Cold start though. At least by us. Morning should be good.

I just bought 3 cases of beer, a 1.75 of Crown, a Prime Ribeye, 10 tins of smoked oysters, Ritz crackers, ho-ho’s, and 10# of potato’s.

Yup. Must be deer season.

We got sick of all the cans, we just buy a keg. Most of the time one is enough...

Back in the 70's we'd head to camp in northern Wisconsin on the Thursday before the opener, we'd hit the bar hard that night. Our tradition was to overindulge that night so Friday we'd be so hungover we wouldn't feel like drinking to much and feel so crappy we'd be in bed early so we'd get enough sleep to be fresh for Saturday morning! Oh to be young again! While at the bar we'd also get in the "Big buck pool" You would give the bar owner a dollar, he'd give you a sharpie, you'd write your name on an oversized sheet of paper listed on the wall, when you shot your buck and register it there he'd put the weight of the deer next to your name. At the end of the season who's ever deer weighed the most got all the money. The amount was usually in the $250 range. Well one year my buddy's B-I-L couldn't make it to camp until Friday, so after arriving in camp he wanted to head to the bar and get his name in the buck pool, my friend told him, no need, that he had payed the dollar and got his name in the pool. That weekend the B-I-L shot a 225# buck that easily would have won the pool. When he went to register it he looked for his name on the wall to write the weight down and you guessed it ,his name wasn't on the list, Seems my friend forgot to write his B-I-L name on the list during the Thursday night activities. That oversight did not go over well. Stay safe this weekend and have fun...

Getting my stuff ready and 1 of my cats is really into watching the hunting show I have on.IMG_6918.jpeg

Please someone tell me that I'm not the only one who packs way to much stuff including backup guns just in case something happens to my primary which never does.

Please someone tell me that I'm not the only one who packs way to much stuff including backup guns just in case something happens to my primary which never does.
I packed so much, I moved here :)

Brother in law and I both have AR's along for backups. He also carries a .357 magnum revolver to his spot.

I've always got enough clothes to survive -50 windchills, even when we're not even close to that. Lol

I am curious if anyone has the famous Viking Bratwurst?

You know the ones with chokecherry in them?