Wisconsin Gun Opener Saturday

Opening morning success.

d680d7b2b25080c5f9f5a8c6d9027fcb.jpg

Congrats 10 Pt, nice buck!

Nice buck ten point!
My youngest got a doe. She's pretty good size. I shot a buck right at close, going to look in the morning after I talk to the neighbor for permission. Overall slow day. Not Much shooting and only 7 seen between the 2 of us. 6 by him 1 for me.

There seemed to be fewer gunshot sounds audible from my blind than normal. The deer weren’t moving as much by us as usual, but everyone in camp passed up at least one buck.

Nice buck ten point!
My youngest got a doe. She's pretty good size. I shot a buck right at close, going to look in the morning after I talk to the neighbor for permission. Overall slow day. Not Much shooting and only 7 seen between the 2 of us. 6 by him 1 for me.
Found my deer this morning. Unfortunately the coyotes found it first. It didn't go far, 100 /125 yards into the woods. It was a low liver hit,.
I wasn't going to post pics because it's not the accepted 5 to 6 yearold buck ,but I'm going to because it turned out it was a horned doe. Hope I didn't shoot it to young? Lol
We were able to salvage most of the hind quarter that was left l, lost 1 hind, both inner tenderloins😭, and 1/2 of one of the back straps. Could have been worse I guess. It was still warm and not stiff at all when I found it , good chance the poor thing was still alive when the coyotes got to it. Hate the outcome,but glad we found it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_082929.jpg
    IMG_20231119_082929.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20231119_144038623.jpg
    PXL_20231119_144038623.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 41
That's a bummer. Maybe others can weigh in, but I thought I've heard before that maybe it's best not to eat the meat if it's been gnawed on by yotes.

That's a bummer. Maybe others can weigh in, but I thought I've heard before that maybe it's best not to eat the meat if it's been gnawed on by yotes.
Just trim away anything they touched, I would think it would be ok? Never heard that before. But I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Just trim away anything they touched, I would think it would be ok? Never heard that before. But I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the heads up.
FYI, I did a search on it and what I found mostly is just trim back what's chewed on (I was very liberal in that) and wash it thoroughly, which we also did. I would think just like any other wild animal.theres some risk ,so we will make sure to freeze it well before we decide to use it. I know of a couple people who have salvaged deer like this.
I just hate to waste the meat and sure as hell ain't giving it back to them mangy bastards.

Found my deer this morning. Unfortunately the coyotes found it first. It didn't go far, 100 /125 yards into the woods. It was a low liver hit,.
I wasn't going to post pics because it's not the accepted 5 to 6 yearold buck ,but I'm going to because it turned out it was a horned doe. Hope I didn't shoot it to young? Lol
We were able to salvage most of the hind quarter that was left l, lost 1 hind, both inner tenderloins😭, and 1/2 of one of the back straps. Could have been worse I guess. It was still warm and not stiff at all when I found it , good chance the poor thing was still alive when the coyotes got to it. Hate the outcome,but glad we found it.
Wow they did a number on that. Congrats on the buck.doe.whatever it is 😜. I come from the camp that celebrates all, well nearly all 😉, deer.

Wow they did a number on that. Congrats on the buck.doe.whatever it is 😜. I come from the camp that celebrates all, well nearly all 😉, deer.
Thanks bueller. I've always been in the same camp. I will say I did think it was a bit bigger when I shot. But that said, I'm not sure I would have not shot it if I had judged it better.
Kinda cool, now I have a bearded hen and a horned doe! I don't have a transgender tag though....

I found mostly is just trim back what's chewed on (I was very liberal in that) and wash it thoroughly, which we also did. I would think just like any other wild animal.theres some risk ,so we will make sure to freeze it well before we decide to use it

That's what I would do.

u let yer pooch lick the plate?

Interesting tranny buck @Bill Loser ! they had one of those on the cover of mn outdoor news this week too.

Interesting tranny buck @Bill Loser ! they had one of those on the cover of mn outdoor news this week too.
Yeah, I will have to do some checking ,but I seem to remember a horned doe taken close to me last year also. Would be weird to get 2 in 2 years I would think.

It has been a slow season for us. We only saw a small buck Saturday morning, and a small fawn Sunday morning. Then nothing until this morning when a wolf chased 2 fawns under my stand. It was like the fawns knew they would be safe under my stand. The wolf stopped about 30 yards away, then took off in another direction. About 20 minutes later momma came walking through sniffing the ground trying to track down the fawns. She walked right where they did. I let them all go. So we are skunked, but saw 5 deer. Could have shot them all easily, except the small buck was in some thick brush when I got my gun up to look at it through the scope. Never got a chance to see what the wolf looked like through the scope though.

Reactions: 356
It has been a slow season for us. We only saw a small buck Saturday morning, and a small fawn Sunday morning. Then nothing until this morning when a wolf chased 2 fawns under my stand. It was like the fawns knew they would be safe under my stand. The wolf stopped about 30 yards away, then took off in another direction. About 20 minutes later momma came walking through sniffing the ground trying to track down the fawns. She walked right where they did. I let them all go. So we are skunked, but saw 5 deer. Could have shot them all easily, except the small buck was in some thick brush when I got my gun up to look at it through the scope. Never got a chance to see what the wolf looked like through the scope though.
Sounds like a great sit. There’s nothing quite as special as watching wildlife behavior in their element.

Opening weekend was terrible as far as deer sightings go. The slaughter of 2 and 3 yr old bucks just makes me want to cry. Within a mile of us 4 2 yr olds and 2 3 yr olds bit the dust. And that's just what we know about. Another Amish guy who has already shot at least 3 deer during bow season, whacked 4 does opening night. Said the deer were standing in the field so I kept shooting. Just so frustrating and feels like a kick below the belt.