Wisconsin Gun Opener Saturday

D4 drought in SW WI was hell on the corn, but there's a few ears in there, no rain for two months so I stopped spraying it. First year Switchgrass strip down the middle, then sections of brassicas, clover/alfalfa, oats/peas/beans/radish and everything got topped with about 500 lbs of rye this fall.

Last year the food ran out by late December and we took 6 doe/fawn during the holiday hunt. Plan to do the same again this year to cut down on the browse pressure.

How many acres is that field?

Sitting at the house tonight. In the last week deer have finally started eating acorns in the edge of this plot, which hopefully means there are less near their bedding area, and they'll get to me a little sooner.

One year ago today I shot a 10 pointer right at closing.
17006902076458911994553886057203.jpg

This WI gun season was the worst I've had in the 20 years i owned my land. After having quite a few nice bucks on camera late summer into early bow it totally went dead. My wife,son, and I never saw a buck bigger than a 6pt. We usually only take a couple doe a year and decent buck if given the chance. I've never had a season where I didn't see atleast a few decent bucks. We saw some does but way less than any other year. My son did take a 4pt and a doe. They went behind a tree and switched positions, he accidentally shot the 4pt he thought was a doe. Then he took the doe too. No big deal atleast we got some meat. Not saying the reason but the guys across from me, hunting a 40 dropped off a small trailer/ cabin decided it was a good idea to bring their dog to deer camp. It didn't bark, it howled like a wolf non stop from 5:45 till about 9.am both Saturday and Sunday. They never fired a shot. Shaking my head why they thought this was a good idea. I have to think the deer would not head to a property where it sounds like there are wolves.

About 2 acres, maybe a little more

That's what I was thinking. I have a field about 2 acres that I am converting to a plot. I want to put strips of corn in it eventually, oriented to a box blind. Is the switch just to break up the plot and get more deer in?

That's what I was thinking. I have a field about 2 acres that I am converting to a plot. I want to put strips of corn in it eventually, oriented to a box blind. Is the switch just to break up the plot and get more deer in?
Mostly yes, partially because some years I won't have corn in there and it will provide structure/cover in the field during those years. It lt also acts as a slight funnel to get deer into bow range. Deer don't mind crossing through strips of switch but they will also be lazy at times and walk around. Eventually I'll put a few more features in to steer them closer as well, scrape, water, apple trees, etc.

Mostly yes, partially because some years I won't have corn in there and it will provide structure/cover in the field during those years. It lt also acts as a slight funnel to get deer into bow range. Deer don't mind crossing through strips of switch but they will also be lazy at times and walk around. Eventually I'll put a few more features in to steer them closer as well, scrape, water, apple trees, etc.

Nice. That's pretty much the same as what I am working on. It's a long process though. Out in the middle of timber with no roads or trails

Preliminary numbers for the 2023 season. Interesting tidbit...hunters from all 50 states and 27 countries purchased a Wisconsin hunting license.

Thanks for sharing this link. Interesting data on both hunter numbers and harvest numbers. Wisconsin is still a "go to" state for deer hunters, and boasts some beautiful landscapes to boot!

Maybe a bit of conspiracy theorist coming out, but I'm not sure I believe the numbers. We went from 95,000 opening weekend, to 99,000 on the 21st to 172,000 on the 28th? Just seems a bit funky to me. Just can't trust the Wis DNR.

Weather got cooler. Continued to hear shots at the end of the week. Not crazy to believe.

I sure wish the Wisconsin DNR would up the price of non resident licenses.

I sure wish the Wisconsin DNR would up the price of non resident licenses.
They just did. Cost me over $400 this year for bow and gun plus another $20 for an antlerless permit in my zone. And I own some acreage but don't qualify as a resident.

edit...that's a lot of money to hunt scrub bucks. Gotta be something wrong with me 🤪

Last edited:
They just did. Cost me over $400 this year for bow and gun plus another $20 for an antlerless permit in my zone. And I own some acreage but don't qualify as a resident.

edit...that's a lot of money to hunt scrub bucks. Gotta be something wrong with me 🤪

Are you a FIB or from Loserville USA (MN)?

In your case I feel bad for saying what I did. But in many cases, there are so many non resident guys that come in to just shoot a buck and kill every doe they see because tags are cheaper than almost every other state. Rant over

10 more years to go as a FIB. Then I can move up north, blame everything on the DNR, give up fishing and hunting, waste all my time cutting/splitting wood, and fit right in with the rest of WI residents.
No giving up for this guy. And I hate cutting/splitting wood!