CVA Optima V2 Review

5 year old buck +
I posted this on Modern Muzzleloaders, but thought a few might benefit from this review.

On Friday I took delivery of an CVA Optima V2 with scope package. This is my 15th year of using an inline for Missouri's late season. For the past seven years I have used a Thompson Center Impact. My only grip was the need to carry a 7/16" tool to remove the breech plug. Plus, the Optima was a great companion to my Optima V2 pistol.

Saturday. At the range I am loading my first round and the ramrod breaks. Fortunately, I was able to use the ramrod from another inline and continued to load the firearm. It was then I noticed the KonusPro scope was installed at a 30* angle. No good, back to the shop.

The rear rings were gorilla tight, the front rings were not even finger tight. I also noticed marks that indicated the scope was manhandled not mounted. After reinstalling the scope it was back to the range.

4" patterns were the best I could do. Given my son (who would use my Thompson Center) and I were going on the last hunt of the season, I opted to take a blind that was used for archery, while my son took the rifle blind. Sunday night didn't see any shooter deer, but we were back in the stands Monday morning. It was very warm (for January) and foggy. Six deer came into the plot at about 50 yards, but I could not see if any had antlers (it was that foggy). When I tried to scope the deer, I noticed the KonusPro was fogged up internally, thus ending the hunt.

I am withholding final judgment on the poor grouping until a new scope is mounted. I emailed CVA on Saturday about the ramrod and received an email this morning that a new one is "in the mail." Good customer service. I have notified them about the scope issue, and will keep readers informed on what happens.

I wonder if the labor issues mean CVA is having a hard time getting skilled labor. This gun definitely should not have passed quality control, and is not up to the high standard of my CVA pistol.

IMG_1888.jpegIMG_1893.jpegIMG_1892.jpeg

Your muzzleloader is considered a big bore caliber. Big bores usually require a scope designed for the high impact shock & recoil of this size caliber. Common brands that I am familiar with that are suited for big bore are Leupold, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski. High quality scope rings also stand up better to the recoil & shock.
- How far were you sighting in at?
- Were you shooting with a rest or bench vise?
- Were your groupings within the 4" in the same area or all over?

You may not have a rifle issue but have a scope issue. I am not a fan of purchasing a rifle/scope combo from the same mftr as usually the scope is a lower end model.

You may want to try shooting your ML with just bare sights & bench vise to see how well it groups.

While I use Leopold as my go-to brand, the Konus was clearly manhandled, so I will need to withhold judgement until I get a new optic. Konus has a lifetime warranty similar to Vortex. In Europe, Konus is considered a cost-conscience main brand, similar to Vortex here.

I use a lead sled with vices mounts, so that variation is not an issue. I also sighted in my TC my son used, and it was right on target. The 4” where not groups but 4” variations shot to shot.

The rifle does not have open sights since it is factory equipped with a scope.

It’s not the gun- it’s the scope, bases and/or rings. Aside from some custom gun builder pedigree- package guns have junk for the entire optics package.

Bought the same gun for my son- think I put the scope on a BB gun I gave a young kid down the road and felt bad doing that despite it being free.

Power belts are the go to bullet, not that I wanted them to be… and Blackhorn the powder though accuracy wasn’t bad with the pelletized stuff. I’d have a 4” group at 200 on a mediocre rest.

Reactions: 356
Optimas theselves are great guns. I usually pirchase quality rings and a scope, but you might be able to get away with just a new scope.

Shotgun scopes can be nice, but I have used aburris fullfield II and bushnell 3200 elite regular rifle scopes for many years with n problems on blackpowder inlines.

Abut a dozen years with a T/C omega. Bushnell 3200 elite 1.5-4.5x32 scope, hornady 240gr XTP 44 mag bullets, harvester sabots, plain old shotgun primers, and 80grs goex FFFg powder. Same charge as my 54 cal flintlock with a roundball. Have it 3" low at 150. Recently tried to bring it up to 200 and 100grs FFFg. Couldnt see the hole with my 7x30 scope last month, so I need to do more homework. Used to have it setup like that, but brought it back down in charge and zero distance.

If a cheap scope holds zero, a lead sled is a good way to change that and wreck it and possibly the stock as well.

I shoot an optima v2. Love it. Powerbelts were accurate in it, but after having the bullets come apart twice in 100lb does, I switched to Hornaday SST and not had an issue with clean pass through. I've shot 2 white hot pellets in mine since I got it and it's holding a good group at 100 yards. At 50 a 3 shot group leaves one big hole. I've also had none of the issues with the Kronos scope you're describing. I'm thinking your gun had poor QC.

My dad is shooting the older variant with out the easy breach plug, and his shoots the same set up accurately with a cabalas "muzzleloader" scope.

The ram rods that come with the guns are junk. I've had one break too. CVA sent a replacement quickly. I use that one when hunting only. At the range I have one that a cousin who is into flint locks made for me that is significantly longer.

I shoot an optima v2. Love it. Powerbelts were accurate in it, but after having the bullets come apart twice in 100lb does, I switched to Hornaday SST and not had an issue with clean pass through. I've shot 2 white hot pellets in mine since I got it and it's holding a good group at 100 yards. At 50 a 3 shot group leaves one big hole. I've also had none of the issues with the Kronos scope you're describing. I'm thinking your gun had poor QC.

My dad is shooting the older variant with out the easy breach plug, and his shoots the same set up accurately with a cabalas "muzzleloader" scope.

The ram rods that come with the guns are junk. I've had one break too. CVA sent a replacement quickly. I use that one when hunting only. At the range I have one that a cousin who is into flint locks made for me that is significantly longer.
The bungled up scope shows a QC issue. I am not sure who installs the scope, but I would assume it is done at CVA.

On a muzzleloading forum there are several members raising concerns about current CVA products. I wish I had gone to the forum before I purchased this gun, which is a companion to a five year old Optima V2 pistol that has great QC. Since deer season is over, I have time to get the optic issue cleared up, either with the KonusPro or moving on to another scope such as the Leupold & new rings. My goal for this gun is to have a reliable deer gun for up to 200 yards, which is what is needed for my south tower blind.

The bungled up scope shows a QC issue. I am not sure who installs the scope, but I would assume it is done at CVA.

On a muzzleloading forum there are several members raising concerns about current CVA products. I wish I had gone to the forum before I purchased this gun, which is a companion to a five year old Optima V2 pistol that has great QC. Since deer season is over, I have time to get the optic issue cleared up, either with the KonusPro or moving on to another scope such as the Leupold & new rings. My goal for this gun is to have a reliable deer gun for up to 200 yards, which is what is needed for my south tower blind.

I’ve seen some recent QC complaints with the break action CVAs as well. Seems like the barrels frequently push hard against one side of the forearm and occasionally the breach end of the barrel doesn’t line up centered on the action.

Mine is a few years old. Unfortunate that they're having this issue. Sounds like they need to send some folks over to Spain and get their assembly issues sorted out.

To get past 150 yard, its alot easier if you have markings in your hunting spot. Like 3 or 4 stakes at 150 yards and a couple at 200. If your gun shoots a touch flatter, you might do 200 and 250. PAst 150 or 200, you need to know within 25 yards of where you are to get a good shot.

Powerbelts might be difficult to get a 200 yard zero, smaller diameter bullets shoot a little faster and have better B.C.'s. Not much of a fan of using more than 100 grains. Gun kicks a good bit past 100.

Harvester sabots allow you to pick what bulet you'd like to use. IT's alot a good bit cheaper than buying pre-packaged ones. Hornady FTX line should treat you pretty good. IN the past, I wasnt too concenred about distance, so I use the hornady XTP hollow point 44 mag. The past 5 years, I've hunted in open AG, so I might go to a FTX maybe, or go down to 357 mag to get the bullet going a bit faster.

harvsester makes a 40 cal bullet in a 50 cal bore sabot too. I got some for my son-in-law for reduced recoil. Think he's using 180gr hollow points.

I've got an Accura V2 thats about 7 years old. I bought the blackhorn breech plug and shoot blackhorn powder with Barnes TMZ slugs. It also has the Konos scope.
It's been a pretty good gun for me, I can't complain. It shoots pretty flat out to 150 with zero at 100. Haven't taken a longer shot than 140, but it usually drops them in their tracks.

Last January I borrowed my son’s Optima to try and take a doe during our late muzzy season. Knowing him well, I knew it was ready to go so I never shot it before hunting. I had an opportunity at a doe at about 75 yards or so and shot her high shoulder with a Powerbelt and a charge of two White Hots. When the smoke cleared she was lying on the ground, her feet facing me. The bullet had hit her squarely in the spine and out the other side. I was impressed not only with the bullet performance but with the trigger on the Optima. Almost all the muzzy hunting I’ve done in the past has been with a TC Encore, and the Optima had a far better trigger. I have had sub par experiences with the Powerbelt bullet in tha past, having had one break in three pieces after just going through one rib and hitting the heart. The pieces were still in the average sized doe. Have they improved or was this a fluke ? I don’t know, and one example doesn’t prove squat, but I’ve always found Powerbelts to be accurate and easy to load so I’d like to think so. I was impressed enough with the CVA to buy one for myself, but I’ll be putting my own scope on it, the one that has proven itself on the Encore.

This is the Barnes TMZ slug through my Accura V2 that dropped by muzzleloader buck in his tracks. It was stopped outside the cavity but inside the cape on the far side of the buck, 140 yards.20230722_103129.jpg20230722_103136.jpg

This is the Barnes TMZ slug through my Accura V2 that dropped by muzzleloader buck in his tracks. It was stopped outside the cavity but inside the cape on the far side of the buck, 140 yards.View attachment 54918View attachment 54919
That’s a good looking mushroom ! What kind of accuracy are you getting with that ? Does a sabot come with it ? What powder and charge ? Lots of questions but I really like the performance of that bullet. Thanks !

That’s a good looking mushroom ! What kind of accuracy are you getting with that ? Does a sabot come with it ? What powder and charge ? Lots of questions but I really like the performance of that bullet. Thanks !
I think all the answers to your questions are in post #12 with the exception of charge, which is 100 grains of blackhorn powder.

I think all the answers to your questions are in post #12 with the exception of charge, which is 100 grains of blackhorn powder.
Thanks Brian. Being unfamiliar with the “TMZ” part I looked it up. I tried Barnes bullets many years ago when I first started shooting muzzle loaders and the accuracy wasn’t up to par in my gun. The TMZ looks like it would be better and more aerodynamic.

Thanks Brian. Being unfamiliar with the “TMZ” part I looked it up. I tried Barnes bullets many years ago when I first started shooting muzzle loaders and the accuracy wasn’t up to par in my gun. The TMZ looks like it would be better and more aerodynamic.
When I bought my V2 I did some internet research on best slug/powder combo and I kept seeing the blackhorn/Barnes combo come up. It hasn't let me down and I'm not the best shot.
If you try it, make sure you get the special blackhorn breech plug for it and don't use the factory breech plug.