Wisconsin Gun Opener Saturday

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well, this Saturday that sacred day is upon us ... the Wisconsin gun opener. There will be a massive orange wave of 600,000 plus taking to the woods. For south central Wisconsin weather doesn't look great with temps in the lower 50's but morning temps should be colder.

My camp will be small with my cousin and my nephew joining me. Get up on Friday and set-up for Sat morning. Then go out Fri night for our traditional fish fry and brandy old fashioned. I have a big bucket of chili made to heat all morning in the crock pot for lunch time on Sat/Sun. And a big tub of Mississippi roast made up for hot beef sandwiches Saturday night.

Friday night we will also head over to my next door neighbors deer shack for deer tales, beer, and the annual buck & doe contest. Some years the amount of beer, whiskey, & chicken wings consumed could cause the local liquor license review board to take notice. Then Sat night we head over to another neighbor who has lots of crock pot foods and cocktails to sooth those who missed the big one, or to celebrate taking a nice one. Great way to connect with other neighboring deer camps.

How about everyone else, are you ready for Saturday?

Last edited:
Never ready. Just got permission on a new property to hunt this year. No time to get set up or anything so probably just go in quite Saturday morning and sit on the ground and see what happens. My land sucks for morning hunts so good to have the option. Stupid work gets in the way of everything.
Hopefully my youngest will get some shooting. I know it's not popular on here but we don't care what we get buck ,doe old young we don't care we like the meat!
Friday night we will go out to dinner somewhere, his choice(probably McDonald's!) Then back do some shining of the local fields, then home watch some hunting shows and bed early.
Tuesday some friends get back and my oldest is.home from school Wednesday,then the party starts. Do some drives, fill some tags and drink some beer when it's done. Sunday (hopefully!!) Is butcher day.

Heading over to our camp on Friday. I can’t wait!! I haven’t shot a buck with the rifle in 15 years. By my choice, usually get 1 with the bow so I get really picky. Maybe this year I’ll break the streak. But either way I’m going to have a blast with the guys. That’s what it’s all about.

I'm excited. Good food, good times with family and friends, and most importantly an entire week off the clock. Early gun openers have been pretty good to us in the past so hopefully this year is the same. Regardless we will be bringing home at least one kill, a fresh cut Christmas tree 🌲😁

Good luck guys! Deer camps are a great time. We had 4 guys in Iowa, bow hunting for a week. No deer shot, one big miss!! But still had a really fun time.! Back down there on Friday !

Be safe everyone!

I just bought 3 cases of beer, a 1.75 of Crown, a Prime Ribeye, 10 tins of smoked oysters, Ritz crackers, ho-ho’s, and 10# of potato’s.

Yup. Must be deer season.

At our age, we wish the weather forecast were a little warmer and the sun would come up later in the day, but we'll be out there along with the rest of you guys. It's mostly about spending time with family for us anymore. We always end up wearing out a couple decks of cards playing sheepshead. And of course, there's the WDEZ Polka Jamboree until noon on Sunday followed by the Packer game. We'll be packing the requisite brat grilling supplies for that event for deer camp.

I just bought 3 cases of beer, a 1.75 of Crown, a Prime Ribeye, 10 tins of smoked oysters, Ritz crackers, ho-ho’s, and 10# of potato’s.

No pickled eggs? 😁

Absolutely, my brother makes those, plus jalapeño dilly beans. Fresh cheese curds are also a must.

Almost goes without saying, right?😉

At our age, we wish the weather forecast were a little warmer and the sun would come up later in the day, but we'll be out there along with the rest of you guys. It's mostly about spending time with family for us anymore. We always end up wearing out a couple decks of cards playing sheepshead. And of course, there's the WDEZ Polka Jamboree until noon on Sunday followed by the Packer game. We'll be packing the requisite brat grilling supplies for that event for deer camp.

Just when I thought this thread couldn’t get any more Wisconsin’ish!

Have fun everyone, good luck!

Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot to put sauerkraut on the shopping list. Now the dilemma is whether to get the kind with caraway seeds or the kind without...

With caraway seeds is a little high class…….😂😂

And now there's another complication. One of the guys can stop by Miesfeld's 25 Flavors of Bratwurst in Sheboygan and is asking what flavors of bratwurst to bring. This deer hunting thing is getting way too complicated.

The deer hunters roundup in my area (98.3 FM) is hilarious. By the second hour of the call in show (7pm) everybody is drunk……callers, hosts, guests, and listeners!

Can’t go wrong with plain brats. Plenty Spicy enough for old Norwegians!

Do yourself a favor and stop by Helds and Nueskes for thick cut regular and pepper bacon, respectively.

Great idea.

With a haul like that don’t forget to pack some toilet paper 😂

We got Ohio Youth Season this weekend. Planning on trying to put my boys on something.

And we wonder why more guys have heart attacks during deer season than people getting shot even with 600,000 rifles in the woods LOL Good luck everyone