Wisconsin Gun Opener

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well ladies & gents .... Saturday is our gun opener here in Wisconsin. The Orange wave of ~670,000 hunters will descend upon the woods in hopes of bagging their dream deer. Deer camps are opening up, fires & pots of chilli are going, too many adult beverages will be consumed and many friendship's rekindled. My camp will be small with my nephew and cousin but we have several neighborhood deer shack parties to attend on Fri & Sat night to share some bullshit, lies, fairy tales, and the one that got away.

Good luck to all and be safe!

Doh! Gotta take the meat out for the chili to thaw.....thx

My hunting party went from 12+ at times, to last year me hunting by myself. This year it will be just my son and I, which is good enough for me. We bs and keep tabs with the locals, and my brother and nephew on their hunts, but other then that is is just calm and relaxing. I am ok with that, since the rest of the 11 3/4 of the year is always balls to the walls.

I have grown to enjoy watching the deer a lot more then shooting them. My son will take about any adult deer, which is fine with me. To me it is more about enjoying it.

Good luck, shoot straight, and look beyond your target, stay safe!

All hail the Orange Army! Too many adult bevies?? I think just the right amount, as long as it's after the hunt of course.

We'll be regaling tales until we cannot any longer. A Boaz Booner is bound to die tomorrow. I'll be patronizing a local establishment The Lonesome Dove if any Habitaters are in the area and need someone to buy a drink for or a shoulder to cry on. PS, I'm the long-haired hippie looking f'r, but I'm not a hippie, well kind of.

Good luck to all and safe hunting.

Gonna be a cold opener and I think we have several inches of snow on the ground. I got a doe in bow season so I can be selective now, or not.

Gonna be a cold opener and I think we have several inches of snow on the ground. I got a doe in bow season so I can be selective now, or not.
I'm a bit east of you ... 3"-4" inches of snow hear and yes, very cold tomorrow. Exactly what we want. Good luck!

You WI guys are so lucky to get to hunt during the beginning of post rut when the bucks are out looking for the last hot doe.
Us poor MN guys gotta hunt during peak rut, AKA lock-down, where there’s 3 girls for every boy. Go get ‘em !

Good luck everyone.

I'm a bit east of you ... 3"-4" inches of snow hear and yes, very cold tomorrow. Exactly what we want. Good luck!
Easy for those folks hunting from enclosed blinds to say 😉. I don't know which spot I will be in but they are all open air 🥶.

Good luck all you northern fellas...us PA boys gotta wait another week ....

Almost here! About an inch of fresh snow tonight. 15 degrees in the morning. Hopefully going to be on their feet with the cold! My 2 boys are stoked. Oldest is in a big bick contest at school so hes gunning for the big guy, which for him means first deer he sees will be down! Lol. Younger one has much more patience and says he wants a 6 or better. Me ? Just some meat in the freezer and good times with the boys and im happy!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Be safe and shoot straight!

My brother in law and I usually stay out all day for the opener, until we each get one. Gonna be a cold one so hoping we score early. We're on public land so it usually happens when others give in, and kick up deer on their way out of the woods.

Number of hunters where we hunt has fallen greatly in the past few years.

Gonna break out the HBS tomorrow but will still have that 20mph NW right in the face. Hopefully can see more with the 3” of snow!

Blizzard conditions for a couple of half hour stretches this morning. Nothing moving for us. No orange seen in the woods on the far side of the marsh either.

Blizzard conditions for a couple of half hour stretches this morning. Nothing moving for us. No orange seen in the woods on the far side of the marsh either.
Frequency and intensity of snow showers has fallen off. Still windy as heck. Grueling all day sit, nothing yet.

Not sure what to expect with this wind thos afternoon. Snowing so hard a little while ago it was nearly a white out.