Winter rye alopathic effect on new seeds?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
I planted winter rye last fall with some ladino clover. It has come back this spring nicely. That being said, we wanted to plant a horse pasture there so we broadcasted the appropriate amount of horse pasture seed in there, but now im wondering if the "allopathic" effect the rye has will prevent the pasture mix to grow. Thoughts?

What is not to like about ladino for horses? If it were me, I'd manage it like clover this year. Let your horses have at it. In the fall, or next spring, depending on the seed you are planting, I would mow the clover flat with a bushhog with rain in the forecast and then broadcast your seed on the nearly bare ground. Wait until you have rain in the forecast. If you have a cultipacker, use it after broadcasting. Your seed will have time to germinate before the clover bounces back. You should end up with a nice mix. Clover is a good thing in a horse pasture.

Thanks,

jack

Grant Woods was discussing the alleopathic qualities of Winter Rye on a recent podcast. He said Rye has little affect on "food plot" size seed but seeds that are much much smaller (weeds, wild flowers, etc.) would be affected. I'm not sure what your horse pasture seed is but I wouldn't be too concerned unless you wanted to plant a native wildflower mix.

Grant Woods was discussing the alleopathic qualities of Winter Rye on a recent podcast. He said Rye has little affect on "food plot" size seed but seeds that are much much smaller (weeds, wild flowers, etc.) would be affected. I'm not sure what your horse pasture seed is but I wouldn't be too concerned unless you wanted to plant a native wildflower mix.
It is a mixture of grasses like Kentucky blue, orchard and Timothy. All about the size of clover seed so pretty small

What is not to like about ladino for horses? If it were me, I'd manage it like clover this year. Let your horses have at it. In the fall, or next spring, depending on the seed you are planting, I would mow the clover flat with a bushhog with rain in the forecast and then broadcast your seed on the nearly bare ground. Wait until you have rain in the forecast. If you have a cultipacker, use it after broadcasting. Your seed will have time to germinate before the clover bounces back. You should end up with a nice mix. Clover is a good thing in a horse pasture.

Thanks,

jack
Too much clover can be bad for horses so we already did exactly what you said, broadcasted the seed into the standing clover and rye but it wasn’t tall and we could see bare ground. My concern was the rye preventing it from growing

Last edited:
Id also like to know. My frost seeded clover (into last years winter rye) was a complete bust. At least I havent seen any as of last weekend that germinated so.....

I plant winter rye as a significant part of my cover crop each fall. I just planted 6 acres yesterday. I used a broadcast spreader to broadcast buckwheat and sunn hemp into the standing cover crop. The cover crop was WR/CC/PTT, but the deer wiped out the PTT last winter, so it was just WR/CC this spring. I then used my little Kasco no-till drill to drill a single row of sunflowers. The drill uses a cultipacker to cover the rows. It will also press the sunn hemp and buckwheat into the ground. I then sprayed the field with glyphosate to kill the WR.

I did something similar last year with buckwheat only and had great germination. I expect the same, (provided we get timely rain) this year. For years I drilled beans and corn into standing WR with no impact on germination.

I can't speak to the particular grasses (I presume) in your mix, but I have not had any issues with crops I've planted following WR.

Thanks,

Jack

If you terminate rye while its still green it will begin to ooze out a sappy substance from the stem within a day or so. Its my understanding that its this sappy substance that has the suppression effect on new seedlings planted of small seeded plants that are put in the ground right behind the rye being terminated. However, its only temporary and the sap dries up within something like a week I think it was and then you're ok to go ahead with your planting. Its the time period after the rye is terminated when the sap is oozing out that your need be cautious of. Double check me on it be I don't think it leaves any residual effect in the soil after it dries up.

I plant winter rye as a significant part of my cover crop each fall. I just planted 6 acres yesterday. I used a broadcast spreader to broadcast buckwheat and sunn hemp into the standing cover crop. The cover crop was WR/CC/PTT, but the deer wiped out the PTT last winter, so it was just WR/CC this spring. I then used my little Kasco no-till drill to drill a single row of sunflowers. The drill uses a cultipacker to cover the rows. It will also press the sunn hemp and buckwheat into the ground. I then sprayed the field with glyphosate to kill the WR.

I did something similar last year with buckwheat only and had great germination. I expect the same, (provided we get timely rain) this year. For years I drilled beans and corn into standing WR with no impact on germination.

I can't speak to the particular grasses (I presume) in your mix, but I have not had any issues with crops I've planted following WR.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

What is your recipe mixturefor buckwheat and sunn hemp?

thanks,

bill

Too much clover can be bad for horses so we already did exactly what you said, broadcasted the seed into the standing clover and rye but it wasn’t tall and we could see bare ground. My concern was the rye preventing it from growing
We had a lot of clover in one of our pastures. All of our horses were foaming from their mouths from eating to much. It wasn't a huge deal, but I agree to much is not good for them.

Jack,

What is your recipe mixturefor buckwheat and sunn hemp?

thanks,

bill

This is my first go at it so my mix is based on some reading, not hands on. I'm gong with 10 lbs/ac of each. Once broadcast, I'm using my little Kasco 4' no-till drill to drill sunflowers at normal in-row spacing, but I'm using bin dividers and only putting seed in one row. This should result in 1 row of sunflowers every 4' across the field. It is my first mix of these two. I'll post results as they develop.

Thanks,

Jack