Rye and winter lime applications

Yep, that is what the articles that I read said. It takes a few years for the wood chips to break down.

What about burning the area with the wood chips? Isn’t the ash supposed to be like lime? Although, I cut down some pine trees and debarked them then stacked them to dry with the intentions of building a log cabin. They rotted so I burned the pile a couple of years ago. That area is still a black spot in my pasture.

Yep, that is what the articles that I read said. It takes a few years for the wood chips to break down.

What about burning the area with the wood chips? Isn’t the ash supposed to be like lime? Although, I cut down some pine trees and debarked them then stacked them to dry with the intentions of building a log cabin. They rotted so I burned the pile a couple of years ago. That area is still a black spot in my pasture.
Takes a couple of years for wood chips to dry out enough to burn! Stays wet on the ground. Theoretically yes. Helps with K too

Does adding nitrogen to the wood chip area help decompose the chips? Seems most compost recipes want 50-50% green and brown plant matter.

I would definitely put in a lot of annual clover anywhere I put in wood chips. You want nitrogen in the soil to balance out the carbon in the wood chips. Also lime, as I believe softwoods tend to make soil a bit acidic.

Has anyone on here used a product called liquid lime plus? Their website makes all kinds of good claims about the product but it would be nice to have someone who had actually used it to give an unbiased review.

Has anyone on here used a product called liquid lime plus? Their website makes all kinds of good claims about the product but it would be nice to have someone who had actually used it to give an unbiased review.
The product is Super Lime Plus not liquid lime plus.

The product is Super Lime Plus not liquid lime plus.

Don't waste your money.

If you're going to buy a drop spreader for lime, find a Groundbuster. Some places will let you rent one.

Don't waste your money.

If you're going to buy a drop spreader for lime, find a Groundbuster. Some places will let you rent one.
Yeah, I think you are right. I did find some reviews about the Super Lime Plus and they were all negative or, at best, slightly negative. It seems that the only way and best way is to just buy bulk ag lime and get a spreader.

Yeah, I think you are right. I did find some reviews about the Super Lime Plus and they were all negative or, at best, slightly negative. It seems that the only way and best way is to just buy bulk ag lime and get a spreader.
I tried it once, before I found that article. It's not entirely worthless, but it was on a small plot. It was also thick and clogged the sprayer some. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Does adding nitrogen to the wood chip area help decompose the chips? Seems most compost recipes want 50-50% green and brown plant matter.
Yes! Feed the bacteria that decompose the wood chips.

Got a few bags of urea I think it is. 56-0-0 I think the label said. Bought some last year, never spread it. Was going to put on a 7 year old log landing that was leveled up with long chunks and chips.

Im guessing this year a little nitrogen would be ok. But, when it starts rotting good next year is when I'll want to put the ntrogen down. Thinking lime will be the same too. Redoing my soil tests once the soil thaws out some. Was too wet since new years, then it got cold. That section I put it in was lawn on the edge of a food plot. Since I removed a whole row of old apples trees, I decieded to offset it with more food plot. The shale pops out in a few spots, so I probably cant till deep there. Guessing here 20ft by 75 yards or so. Round 2 of the chips will be sitting in a pile for a year, then spreading.

Still on the prowl for local gypsum though.

I think quality liquid lime can be a good way to jump start a plot.

Yes! Feed the bacteria that decompose the wood chips.
Same theory as farmers adding anhydrous to soil to break down corn residue?

Yes, and sawdust in the biff hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really know the answer to your question. So I did a little reading. Iowa State says the addition of N to aid the decomposition of corn stubble is ineffective and only adds cost.
You can read more about it here:

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu...es an important,nitrogen for its energy needs.

There's a point to be made here about the decomposition of wood chips. The process is a consumer of nitrogen, at least initially. What happens later is subject to some debate. Do the decomposing wood chips give back nitrogen? An open question in some circles. So, what does that mean for the breakdown of corn residue? I don't know.

I saw a demonstration where a soil scientist buried a pair of men's white briefs in a field that had been cultivated and a pair in a field that was no-till planted. The briefs from the cultivated field were totally intact. All that was left of the pair from the no-till field was the elastic waist band. She said the bugs and such from the no-till field ate the fabric. I just wonder if adding anhydrous had anything to do with the decomposition. Does the anhydrous stimulate the bugs?

Iowa State says the addition of N to aid the decomposition of corn stubble is ineffective and only adds cost.
You can read more about it here:

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu...es an important,nitrogen for its energy needs.

Yeah, but...

"specific amounts of corn residue were weighed and placed in nylon mesh bags and left in the field immediately after harvest for decomposition evaluation. "

I saw a demonstration where a soil scientist buried a pair of men's white briefs in a field that had been cultivated and a pair in a field that was no-till planted. The briefs from the cultivated field were totally intact. All that was left of the pair from the no-till field was the elastic waist band. She said the bugs and such from the no-till field ate the fabric. I just wonder if adding anhydrous had anything to do with the decomposition. Does the anhydrous stimulate the bugs?

Anhydrous ammonia likely harms soil microbes, slowing decomposition. I think the best way to help speed up decomposition of wood chips in soil is probably annual clovers. It might be a good idea to add nitrogen fertilizer to the soil while the wood chips are breaking down in order to feed the plants that might otherwise experience a nitrogen deficiency due to the microbes using up nitrogen in the soil in the decomposition of high-carbon residue like wood chips.

Anhydrous ammonia likely harms soil microbes, slowing decomposition. I think the best way to help speed up decomposition of wood chips in soil is probably annual clovers. It might be a good idea to add nitrogen fertilizer to the soil while the wood chips are breaking down in order to feed the plants that might otherwise experience a nitrogen deficiency due to the microbes using up nitrogen in the soil in the decomposition of high-carbon residue like wood chips.
Okie dokie then! So, Iowa state said “no” to adding N to enhance decomposition. I do know that it takes more than one year for any type of residue to break down when it is left on the surface because that has been my strategy in an attempt to build back the soil in a food plot.

So, Iowa state said “no” to adding N to enhance decomposition

Specifically regarding a bag of residue laying on the ground. Nitrogen probably does little to speed decomposition of residue ON the soil. I'd like to see a study regarding residue IN the soil.