Rye and winter lime applications

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Looking to turn the soil in the spring or late summer. I have the lime on hand. Was thinking of liming my foodplot with rye in it this winter. Does ithe lime beat up the rye? I have a 3ft drop spreader, so I will get alot of tire tracks on the plot. Is there a certain time in the winter to apply? Like in the afternoon when the blades of grass have thawed for the day?

I am planning to fertilize as well. Initally I was thinking of liming about 2/3rds a ton per acre this winter. Then apple a 1/4 to 1/3 ton / acre right before turning the soil in. Was going to do about 250 lbs/acre of 6-24-24. Soil is too compacted. Plot was lightly rototilled in 2017 and harrowed with a tractor in 2020. LAst time soil was tested, it was a pH of 6.1.

Likely doing a summer green cover mix or maybe sudan grass, then going to cereal grains, turnips, and fresh clover. Was clovered and oats in spring 2020, then more oats and raddish in the fall. 2021, 2022, and this year was rye in the fall and clovers in the winter.

Last edited:
I would focus on root structure for your summer cover crop. And maybe some Gypsum with the lime.

Your ph looks fine. I would worry about all the manipulation of the soil going on to achieve a slightly better ph.

Looking to turn the soil in the spring or late summer. I have the lime on hand. Was thinking of liming my foodplot with rye in it this winter. Does ithe lime beat up the rye? I have a 3ft drop spreader, so I will get alot of tire tracks on the plot. Is there a certain time in the winter to apply? Like in the afternoon when the blades of grass have thawed for the day?

I am planning to fertilize as well. Initally I was thinking of liming about 2/3rds a ton per acre this winter. Then apple a 1/4 to 1/3 ton / acre right before turning the soil in. Was going to do about 250 lbs/acre of 6-24-24. Soil is too compacted. Plot was lightly rototilled in 2017 and harrowed with a tractor in 2020. LAst time soil was tested, it was a pH of 6.1.

Likely doing a summer green cover mix or maybe sudan grass, then going to cereal grains, turnips, and fresh clover. Was clovered and oats in spring 2020, then more oats and raddish in the fall. 2021, 2022, and this year was rye in the fall and clovers in the winter.
Winter is a good time....and a bad time to be spreading lime and fertilizer. When I managed the local coops we probably did a lot of applications then because there was time. But, we were careful about what happened when. Fields with any slope, well, I always advised against winter application because of the potential for soil erosion and nutrient runoff. No point in application if the outcome is a near total loss. The other factor is soil freezing. Application on a frozen slope is sure disaster. If your slopes are less than 2% or 3% and the soils are thawed - totally unfrozen at any depth - no reason why you can't do it. One other thing - cold, unfrozen soils are going to be slow to finish the chemical reactions needed to accomplish the fertility objectives. Choose wisely.

Winter is a good time....and a bad time to be spreading lime and fertilizer. When I managed the local coops we probably did a lot of applications then because there was time. But, we were careful about what happened when. Fields with any slope, well, I always advised against winter application because of the potential for soil erosion and nutrient runoff. No point in application if the outcome is a near total loss. The other factor is soil freezing. Application on a frozen slope is sure disaster. If your slopes are less than 2% or 3% and the soils are thawed - totally unfrozen at any depth - no reason why you can't do it. One other thing - cold, unfrozen soils are going to be slow to finish the chemical reactions needed to accomplish the fertility objectives. Choose wisely.
Yep. Noticed lots of lime piles sitting in farmers fields already near me. I'd love to get spreading done on the frozen ground but fear much of it would wash away with the spring meltoff.

Last edited:
In similar situation . I have all next week off and wanting to work on my plots but
1. not sure what can be done this time of year. clover/rye food plots total of 3 acres
2. weeds took over all my plots last year and i lost 40 to 50% of the field to them.. sprayed twice and fertilized and use liquid lime

So is there anything I could do during this time of year to get a head start on spring when I don't have a lot of down time.

Any feedback would be much appreciated..
BTW, my property is in SW Virginia.

In similar situation . I have all next week off and wanting to work on my plots but
1. not sure what can be done this time of year. clover/rye food plots total of 3 acres
2. weeds took over all my plots last year and i lost 40 to 50% of the field to them.. sprayed twice and fertilized and use liquid lime

So is there anything I could do during this time of year to get a head start on spring when I don't have a lot of down time.

Seems like a good time to apply lime.

I don’t want to speak for Farmer, Dan, but I think he was referring to a barren field with lime runoff. If there are plants on the field, that should help hold the lime and let it incorporate.

My food plot got flooded yesterday. A good bit of my rye thatch is in my lawn now.

Probably will apply what lime i have in my plot, but will soil sample before liming. 350 lbs powdered dolomite wont be much for my 1/3 acreclay anyways. Will do a double pass where ibam expanding the plot, should be a 1/2 acre then. Loosing a little due to apple trees creeping in on the spot on one side.

My food plot got flooded yesterday. A good bit of my rye thatch is in my lawn now.

Probably will apply what lime i have in my plot, but will soil sample before liming. 350 lbs powdered dolomite wont be much for my 1/3 acreclay anyways. Will do a double pass where ibam expanding the plot, should be a 1/2 acre then. Loosing a little due to apple trees creeping in on the spot on one side.
If you're on clay, you don't wanna do dolomitic. I'd spread what you've got, but after that, I'd be using calcitic. Those smaller plots like that, it's easy to throw on some annual doses of gypsum (4-5 bags) and it does a lot of good feeding any legumes you've got out there and pushes calcium up along with it.

My clay comes up at 6.0 on it's own anyway, so I've been skipping lime altogether and going straight to gypsum and have had really good responses with that. I ran a subsoil sample years back, from 24-30" and it came up with a CEC of 26. My topsoil has a CEC of 7-10.

You got some clay down there SD,

I am completely not against gypsum, just have difficulty sourcing it. I got to read the lime I have, could be calcitic. I'm only adding lime because I am turning the soil. Putting atleast 10 yard of wood chips in the soil to get the organic material up a bit quicker and turn in 3 years of rye thatch.

Seems like a good time to apply lime.

I don’t want to speak for Farmer, Dan, but I think he was referring to a barren field with lime runoff. If there are plants on the field, that should help hold the lime and let it incorporate.
Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure about the lime part but was thinking it would be a good time to apply.

thanks for your feedback

Tn hunting,

Have you had a soil test done recently? Weeds can tell you a story, but you need to know what weeds. Weeds are not that bad either. Sometimes the deer want to eat those weeds over what you're trying to grow.

I'd collect a soil sample before liming, even if your liming that day. Most of us with established places have a decent idea what we need to do with the soil from time to time.

Besdies liming, you could throw winter rye in there. Fair chance it'll grow some before spring, then it will take off well. Could even add some clover seed. you may be able to use 2,4D on the rye in the late spring and kill alot of young broadleaf weeds. However, ID weeds is very mportant. Sometime you think you have something that looks like grass, but could be sedge. OR certain boradleaf weeds have defensive mechanisms against herbicides. Some need specific treatment because they have an extensive root system with enough energy to spring back to life after the leaves are killed. Us food plot types are glad clover is our friend...... Atleast most of the time.

Likely a few years of clover and / or several years of good fertilizing has alot of extra nitrogen in the soil, which the weeds are taking advantage of.

Fertilizing, then spraying a week or two later helps the plant take the roundup to the roots better. A mild discing 2 weeks or so before a 2nd sprying will teminate any young weed seeds that come up.

This time of year is great for opening up any shaded spots on your plot. Downing trees to the soith, or branches going into the plot too far. Any woodchuck problems? Maybe some spots need drainage work?

Looking around for local gypsum. No luck. Tractor supply said they had 2 bags. Thru canceled my order. Thought atleast put a bit in my tree plsntings. Bought mote peat moss instead. Doing 5 gallons on deer trees, and 8 gallons on home orchard spot.

Friday night ran the spring harrows on my food plot extension. Got roughly an inch of spruce wood chips in there. No lime yet. May lime tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20240113_095343.jpg
    20240113_095343.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 11

I just want to know how the liquid lime did. How did it change your PH? I have been searching for a lime spreader to buy with the thoughts of buying bulk ag lime and spreading it myself. But, If the liquid lime works That would be much easier since I already have a spray rig.

Looking around for local gypsum. No luck. Tractor supply said they had 2 bags. Thru canceled my order. Thought atleast put a bit in my tree plsntings. Bought mote peat moss instead. Doing 5 gallons on deer trees, and 8 gallons on home orchard spot.

Friday night ran the spring harrows on my food plot extension. Got roughly an inch of spruce wood chips in there. No lime yet. May lime tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to seeing how that wood chip spot performs. If I had a way to spread it quickly, I'd be doing the same thing on my plots.

Why spruce wood chips?

A relative has a tree business on the side. He has what he has for woodchips. Hardwood woodchips are beter than confier ones. Free is free though.

Trying this as an experiment. I spread the chips with the frontloader bucket, then spring harrowed it with my ATV.

I have this spreader for my ATV.

Bought it used, works great. Put about 3 bags of lime a time in it. I have low CEC sandy soil, so I have to lightly lime yearly, like 500lbs/acre or so. Got it when powdered lime was cheaper than pelletized. Now the big stores charge more for pulverizied lime. I have 2 or 3 1/4 acre or so plots I lime and fertilize annually at camp, and 2 or 3 basic plotting areas I lime maybe every 2nd or 3rd year.

MY local AG coop rents tow behind spreaders. Old farmer drop spreaders are easy to find.

How much acreage do you need to lime and what rate? Broadcast spreader make a huge mess, but work in a pinch.

I have about 10 acres of pasture and food plots. Also have a tow behind spreader but would rather have a drop spreader for the lime because of all the dust created when using a slinger type spreader. I have found some drop seeder/spreaders online and will probably get one of those. But first I’m gonna find a source to get bulk ag lime from that will deliver to my place.

A relative has a tree business on the side. He has what he has for woodchips. Hardwood woodchips are beter than confier ones. Free is free though.

Trying this as an experiment. I spread the chips with the frontloader bucket, then spring harrowed it with my ATV.

I have this spreader for my ATV.

Bought it used, works great. Put about 3 bags of lime a time in it. I have low CEC sandy soil, so I have to lightly lime yearly, like 500lbs/acre or so. Got it when powdered lime was cheaper than pelletized. Now the big stores charge more for pulverizied lime. I have 2 or 3 1/4 acre or so plots I lime and fertilize annually at camp, and 2 or 3 basic plotting areas I lime maybe every 2nd or 3rd year.

MY local AG coop rents tow behind spreaders. Old farmer drop spreaders are easy to find.

How much acreage do you need to lime and what rate? Broadcast spreader make a huge mess, but work in a pinch.
I did look at a couple of articles about using wood chips to help build the soil. Those articles said the wood chips take a couple of years to break down. Not a bad idea especially since the chips are free.

I had an area of food plot that was a logging deck that had tons of wood chips. I’m in year three. So far the plants have not grown well there because basically plants are growing in wood chips and not dirt. When they fully break down hopefully that will change.