Ag lime application and a impact at various amounts

DRG3

5 year old buck +
Got my soil tests back today and AFTER adjusting for RNV- I have arrived at an avg recommended amount of 2 tons per acres.

I’ll have to call Tomorow to get per ton delivered and spread options but my question for now is-

How much of a difference would I see this spring in corn planting and this fall in oat/clover/ brassica plots- if I spread 1 ton per acre this year and do 1 ton next year as opposed to doing it all now.

On averages my sample ph’s ranged from 5.3-5.6 and the ground is coming out of soybean. The soil is moderately well drained.

If as a cost savings measure I only do one ton/ per acre this year how noticeably different will plot performance be.
This is a total of 6 acres.

I plan to spread in February for whatever amount I decide

Thanks in advance

Assuming two tons is the right decision I am of the opinion that you are better off doing split applications. One ton now just as you have planned and one ton in the fall or next winter.

The trucking and spreading costs more than the lime. Put it all down at once.

Assuming two tons is the right decision I am of the opinion that you are better off doing split applications. One ton now just as you have planned and one ton in the fall or next winter.
Thank you- just so I can learn- what is the reason for this- is it just that it helps spread the cost, or is there a difference in effectiveness/waste/soil uptake.

Also- to your point about 2 T/A being correct- the recommended amount was 1.5 T/A of 100% effective lime and the local supply has an RNV of ~75%- it's actually like 73%. So that is where I got 2 T/A. Does that seem right?
The trucking and spreading costs more than the lime. Put it all down at once.
Understood on this point and it's somthing I will consider as well. I'll probably do the spreading myself, but I will be factoring in Haul costs. Thankfully there is a supplier within 20 miles.

Thank you- just so I can learn- what is the reason for this- is it just that it helps spread the cost, or is there a difference in effectiveness/waste/soil uptake.

Also- to your point about 2 T/A being correct- the recommended amount was 1.5 T/A of 100% effective lime and the local supply has an RNV of ~75%- it's actually like 73%. So that is where I got 2 T/A. Does that seem right?

Understood on this point and it's something I will consider as well. I'll probably do the spreading myself, but I will be factoring in Haul costs. Thankfully there is a supplier within 20 miles.
This is what I was taught in "agronomy school." It's definitely more important in production agriculture. If it makes any difference for achieving your food plot goals on a small acreage is certainly open for debate. In other words, are split applications for you better than a single application? I don't know. Here's my brief interpretation of what happens in a surface applied lime application.

Over some extended period of time the effects of surface applied lime are delivered deeper into the soil profile. For sake of discussion the immediate impact is to cause a soil chemistry change on the surface. At six months it might be felt at 4-6 inches, but the top profile, say the 0-2 inch area is starting to revert to its natural state. So, to broaden the largest soil profile in really low pH situations split applications provide the largest benefit in the amendable root zone, 0 to 6 inches. If it really works that way for you depends on your soil type and weather conditions. In any case I would never apply more than 1.5 tons per acre but that's just me, economics of the situation not withstanding. And, I don't know how to "prove" it, but split applications may reduced the need for future applications. Again, lots of variables in there.
The other reason I like your one ton scenario is that it may leave you happy with what you got! Two tons is indicated but that doesn't mean it will provide much additional benefit. See the law of diminishing returns.

Again, always go with @FarmerDan on that stuff.

Farmer, I know about runoff and leaching for reason to do split application. What if you incorporated the 2 tons with tillage/discinf then immediately planted? Would you recommend doing it all at one time then?

I’ve always heard that putting out lime is like planting a tree. Best time was a year ago. Next best time is today.

I’m all about regenerative ag. But when starting a new plot I like discing in nutrients, getting plot nice and flat, and guaranteeing a good first crop of living plants right off the bat. At least that’s what I have come around to.

Also for perennial clover plots. Disc and get a great first crop. Then you don’t have to touch soil with disc for 5 years, just broadcasting grains and a little clover yearly. When it starts to subside, disc all the nutrients under and start over. Seems pretty regenerative to me.

Again, I’m talking about light discinf with Firminator not deep tillage.

This is what I was taught in "agronomy school." It's definitely more important in production agriculture. If it makes any difference for achieving your food plot goals on a small acreage is certainly open for debate. In other words, are split applications for you better than a single application? I don't know. Here's my brief interpretation of what happens in a surface applied lime application.

Over some extended period of time the effects of surface applied lime are delivered deeper into the soil profile. For sake of discussion the immediate impact is to cause a soil chemistry change on the surface. At six months it might be felt at 4-6 inches, but the top profile, say the 0-2 inch area is starting to revert to its natural state. So, to broaden the largest soil profile in really low pH situations split applications provide the largest benefit in the amendable root zone, 0 to 6 inches. If it really works that way for you depends on your soil type and weather conditions. In any case I would never apply more than 1.5 tons per acre but that's just me, economics of the situation not withstanding. And, I don't know how to "prove" it, but split applications may reduced the need for future applications. Again, lots of variables in there.
The other reason I like your one ton scenario is that it may leave you happy with what you got! Two tons is indicated but that doesn't mean it will provide much additional benefit. See the law of diminishing returns.
Fantastic information. Thank you!

Farmer, I know about runoff and leaching for reason to do split application. What if you incorporated the 2 tons with tillage/discinf then immediately planted? Would you recommend doing it all at one time then?

I’ve always heard that putting out lime is like planting a tree. Best time was a year ago. Next best time is toda

I’ve always heard that putting out lime is like planting a tree. Best time was a year ago. Next best time is today.
I really don't know. We often get into deep discussions here in this habitat forum that serve little purpose other than to plumb the depths of topics that have no useful purpose...or, if they do, there is no way to 'prove' they are correct. Faith is a big part of farming and habitat improvement as a subset of growing things. That there is science is a great benefit but interpretation and application are difficult concepts. Maybe it all serves to get our thinking centered correctly. If you, dear reader, are not the thinking type then you must choose a way of doing things and then hoping for the best. Having said that, I will offer a couple of unsupportable thoughts in response to your question

Incorporating lime thru soil disturbance is much different than a surface applied lime application. With incorporation there is a volume problem and a degradation problem (remember, this is just my thinking). Too often I think we think that after we do something it remains that way forever. Let's make a couple of assumptions. First, there are two million pounds of soil in a plow layer or the top 6 inches of soil. Further, assume the top 6 inch soil profile is all we can affect. I think both are scientifically sound assumptions.

Lime applications are intended to change the soil chemistry and that chemist involves soil particle surfaces. But let's assume a homogenous loamy soil type. Mixing 4,000 lbs of lime in 2-million pounds of soil sounds like a good thing because the entire workable soil profile is amended, not equally but at the same rate. Here's the problem. In a new planting where are 80% of the roots at establishment? I guess it depends on what you are planting but I think I would be somewhat right to think 80% are in the top 3-inch soil profile. So, at least initially, the effect in the 3-inch to 6-inch space is wasted - at least initially. Now, on to the degradation phase. Does it all go to hell at once? Is the top faster than the bottom? I don't know.

Play the song backwards for a surface application.

Does it matter if the intended crop is perennial or annual? Does it matter more for corn than soybeans. I have a thought but it probably doesn't matter.

I think the most important things in the topic of pH and liming are 1) A properly executed soil collection and test to understand the current situation, and, at the same time to understand the limitations of gathering soil samples and interpretation of test results; 2) then the leap of faith - the decision to lime or not to lime and the reasons for both. Past that you start getting into discussions that get deeper and deeper and matter less and less.

My man that’s awesome stuff. Thanks for the education! Truly b