Left Over Brassica Regrowing

RJAJr

A good 3 year old buck
What would you knowledgeable people do with a re-sprouting brassica plot? Last years brassica plot survived our mild winter quite well, all of the turnips are showing new leafy growth and it is really greening up. So now I am wondering how I should plan for this 1/4 acre plot. I layered in Winter Rye and a clover mix last fall and that is also showing good signs of life. Was sort of expecting the plot to be munched down or frost killed, neither occurred. So now I need some advice. Thanks in advance.

If you want to save the clover you might get away with spraying Butyrac 2,4-DB. Shouldn't hurt the clover (might brown it a bit), won't hurt the rye and should smoke the brassicas.

My 2 cents. Just leave it alone. The rye and brassicas will die off after they go to seed, and to you'll be left with clover. And maybe some resprouts from anything that went to sees, but likely won't grow through thick clover.

My plots are a vibrant yellow from uneaten, unwinter-killed turnips. I'll deal with it in summer. Bees should be happy? Hopefully someone gives me a pint of honey!

If you're planting a summer plot, nuke it and plant your summer blend. If you're only doing fall plots, wait until the brassicas bolt and mow it to see what clover and/or weeds you have growing and go from there.

I had it in my head to rotate it to Buck Forage Oats in August. So I will likely hit it with Butyrac DB in mid may, then kill it down again in late July with Gly. Lightly work it and bury some Oats in it, then rotate it back to Brassica's the following year. It's a smaller plot so I am not opposed to working it each year. Plus I just created it last year so I am guessing there will be a good amount of weeds and grass yet to be eliminated from the plot. It's my favorite bow site by far. Other option would be to just let it go all summer and go directly to gly in July. I am not sure of the benefits or drawbacks of this. There are some big baseball size brassica shooting sprouts right now.

I'd broadcast an annual clover sometime soon before rain then TNM your oats into it come fall. Keeping the soil covered is in your best interest.

I'd broadcast an annual clover sometime soon before rain then TNM your oats into it come fall. Keeping the soil covered is in your best interest.
This is a good thought! Thank you for this as I had not considered it.

It's a smaller plot so I am not opposed to working it each year. Plus I just created it last year so I am guessing there will be a good amount of weeds and grass yet to be eliminated from the plot. It's my favorite bow site by far

In that case I would plant a good fall blend including buck forage oats and brassicas or whatever worked for you last season. I'm a big believer in blends, as I believe it's good for the soil, and that makes the plot more attractive to deer.