Switchgrass Frost Seeding and Nurse Crop

Wisco

Yearling... With promise
Hi all - I've lurked for a while now and appreciate all the knowledge you freely pass on - a lot more complex than I initially thought it would be when I started my first food plot 2 years ago...

I'm in SE WI and planning to plant a Switchgrass strip on the edge of my foodplot to provide an access screen. I don't have much for machinery so frost seeding is likely my best approach for planting. I'll be planting in a location that was planted clover 2 years ago and is now getting pretty sparse and a failed brassica stand from last fall - so that is to say, I have plenty of soil exposure.

My questions are:

1) Is it too late to frost seed? The forecast calls for lows hovering right around 29 for the next week or so with occasional showers.
2) Assuming it's not too late, would it be a good idea to mix in some Rye Grass into my switch to act as a nurse crop? I hadn't thought of that, but a seed guy I was talking to mentioned it. Note, I already have the Rye seed to plant over a portion of the food plot's clover that I'm terminating to be an access route. So I'm not exactly looking for a "better" nurse crop, just wondering if I can utilize what I already have in the Rye or if that would be too much competition.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Caleb

I would not add the rye. I have watched a lot of video on switchgrass and it seems to really hate competition. I am heading to my land this weekend in N MN and will be putting down switch in several spots as well. It cant grow in the bag so if I were you I would throw it out there. You can always try again next year if it fails. Best way to learn is to F it up yourself and then you will know for next time. This is gonna be my first attempt at switch too.

I’m with Buck. Skip the rye, it has an allopathic effect on weeds that may actually hurt the switch.

Don’t use rye. If I was planting switchgrass this late I’d consider manual scarifying the seed just in case. The frost seeding process isn’t only to achieve good contact with the soil but to scarify the seed to aid in germination. If it is too late your seed won’t germinate until next year.

There is a wealth of info on the web about how to manually scarify the seed. It usually involves the freezer and soaking it in water.

It actually needs stratification for germination. I would not plant rye with it either. If the ground wasn't properly prepared last fall, I wouldn't waste my money on frost seeding. If you can get the seeds stratified, kill all vegetation, lightly work the ground and wait a couple weeks, kill all vegetation again, then broadcast seed and cultipack/lightly drag.