Existing thick pasture stand to food plot how to?

Im just hoping it comes up before it gets too cold..the rye, admittedly, is a backup plan but there is so little food up there once the crops are gone that anything green should be a draw..I’ve had a crazy experience with broadcasting rye into thick thatch during a drought only to have that plot be thick the next spring..an acre of good rye was holding 20+ turkeys and 25+ deer per day during the spring..
That’s awesome Derek. When will you broadcast the rye, or have you already done it?

Nevermind. Reread your post

What crops are you planting these days, and what rate? Still just broadcasting and mowing? I know you mow several times so not too thick at planting time.
I actually didn’t plant anything last year or hunt for myself……I’ve gotten to where I’m mostly just tracking deer for other folks with my dogs. Basically all I was doing for the last few years though is spreading 75-100 lbs of cereal rye with roughly 10 lbs of crimson clover in early Oct and mowing……come back in late June and mow again…..rinse and repeat…..maybe throw in a handful of white clover along the way.

In season update: plot actually looks ok..still more weeds than I would like but there are some visible sections of clover and brassica and WR is evident all over the place..oh and had 3 doe in bow range for an hour and a half so I’m gonna call that a win…now to get the big fellas who keep appearing on the cam on this plot to show in daylight…
14F6FE06-FED9-4A34-A2C6-0BFD0DC455DA.jpegCAF06926-0326-4D6D-936B-63CAAA755F3A.jpeg

In season update: plot actually looks ok..still more weeds than I would like but there are some visible sections of clover and brassica and WR is evident all over the place..oh and had 3 doe in bow range for an hour and a half so I’m gonna call that a win…now to get the big fellas who keep appearing on the cam on this plot to show in daylight…
View attachment 58401View attachment 58402
Looks good!

Looks nice Derek, I have plans to do something similar on a property I'm purchasing this winter, did a search for converting pasture and it led me to this.
Did the big buck ever show up in daylight?

Them deer look pretty enamored with yer buffet you laid out.

well done!

Looks nice Derek, I have plans to do something similar on a property I'm purchasing this winter, did a search for converting pasture and it led me to this.
Did the big buck ever show up in daylight?
A big 11 point did show up a few weeks later, but wouldn’t come close enough and stayed in the sorghum that adjoins this field..a small clueless 5 point walked right across it though haha (he was spared as we need his dumb genes in the pool)…