WI Guys.....CDAC 2nd round of meetings this week

I want to send a letter to my DNR deer crew and everybody else on the bulk email chain that asks why Wisconsin can have the same stakeholders deer concerns etc and come out of social meetings with deer goals 2 to 3 times higher than what we are dealing with in MN.

The MN DNR had major concerns with the color coded MN/WI deer density comparisons and claimed I was misrepresenting fact. Many of the areas that were colored were over 'goal' in WI at the time. Are you guys saying they adjusted the goals substantially?

Is there a map or overwinter numbers table anybody can share with me?

Is the 25 overwinter dpsm per square mile of deer habitat no longer the guide in WI?

I know it's hard to explain and seems very foreign Brooks, but the new method we are using in WI doesn't necessarily use those hard set numbers to set the actual antlerless quotas any longer. They are now just one of many metrics used to determine antlerless quotas. It is very strange to me as well and I have been following this from the onset. It is a work in progress and may turn out to be a miserable failure in the end, no one knows right now. WI still gathers and compiles all the same data that they always have(and even more now), and they put it together at the county(DMU) level for use by everyone, as it is posted on their website. This includes the County Deer Advisory Committees, who each receive a packet of info to use for decision making at the upcoming meeting sessions. Do we still have 25 or 30 or 40 DPSM data numbers, sure, but it is not a number that they try to hold for the sake of harvest goals. Instead they look at the overall package of deer herd health, habitat health, hunting satisfaction rates, non-hunting stakeholder issues, and a whole bunch of other data, and they come up with a recommendation on whether they should issue enough antlerless tags to either Increase/Stabilize/Decrease the current herd(whatever it might be at the time) above or below whatever that current number happens to be, notice they DO NOT use a % number like they do in MN. The DNR of course has the option to deny the recommendation if the data shows that the recommendation is not in the best interest of herd health or stakeholder issues, the Natural Resources Board has the ability to "adjust" the goals outside of the recommendation if they have compelling reasons to do so, such as disease breakouts. If we use 25 DPSM as a starting example, and we(the public and the CDAC's) recommend to stabilize the herd numbers, in 3 years when we reevaluate the "goals", we should still have very near to 25 DPSM. Say the DNR over those 3 years missed the mark on their antlerless tag sales and the herd dropped to 18 DPSM, the public and the CDAC for that area could then recommend to Increase the herd, so less tags would be issued for the next 3 year period. The opposite would hold true if the number of tags issued by the DNR failed to control the deer numbers and we went from 25 to 35 and the non-hunting stakeholders started having issues with the increased population, due to say an increase in ag or browse damages in their area. The CDAC could then issue a 3 year recommendation of Decrease, so that the DNR could issue more antlerless tags to reduce numbers to again get the herd to a level that is healthy for the deer and the surrounding habitat and acceptable to the majority of the stakeholder groups. I know it seems like it could be a smoke and mirrors thing with an agenda, but I assure you that this process is and will always continue to be monitored heavily by the hunters of WI.

Last edited:
I learned that the DNR folks who sit on the teams are not voting members, they are there to answer questions only. Maybe you WI guys already knew that
That is correct stu. The DNR "officers" on the committees are only "advisors" to the CDAC teams. They do have a member of each counties Conservation Congress(for those who don't know, they are not members of the DNR in any way) that serves as the CDAC Chairman and has voting rights, and another member from the CC who would be considered Vice-Chair, but does not have voting right unless the Chairman is not present.

Our process in MN completely illigitimate. Pure smoke. I just need to find some examples from WI where the CDAC voted to stabilize of even increase deer numbers at levels well above what MN would even consider accepting. We need to keep and get more people thinking our current process here in MN. Those CDAC numbers will help get that done.

The actual 3 year recommendation meetings will be taking place in Mid- December in most counties, so you will have your info by Christmas! Hopefully it will be the "present" you've been waiting for. Preliminary recommendations that I have seen so far are pointing to the fact that you will have plenty of the "ammo" you are looking for Brooks. Many areas I have looked at are either asking to stabilize or increase in areas that already have 20+ to 30+ DPSM. Some of the areas that are requesting a decrease, could actually use one, as they are at 30+ DPSM or have serious stakeholder concerns, or areas such as the CWD heavy areas(we even had one group member suggest an Increase in a highly infested CWD zone).:eek: So at this point I feel the committees are being very conservative in giving the DNR the green light to "kill-'em all", which is a good thing and what I had hoped for from the onset. And I think it helps that they all know "we" are watching from the shadows.:cool:

You mn guys, when are you going to understand this? Deer hunting is politicial in wi. You live on a totally different planet than us. Around 2004 I drove half way across your state before I realized it was your first gun opener. I saw more hunters driving around my neighborhood yesterday morning just bow hunting. Walker for sportsman all over the place. Wi hunters are voters Wisc. Not just hunters. That's what it all comes down too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
After a quick look I see mostly "maintain", followed by "increase" in the forrest areas with just a few "decrease".

I was surprised to see Buffalo county as decrease.
A lot of horn hunting here. Some guy paying $1200 to bow hunt 4 days in buffalo county isn't shooting a doe. Buffalo county outfitters were well represented with the so called action teams that set the framework for this.
Buffalo county farmers only know how to mange their farms by driving their bluffs with shotguns, and shooting at whatever moves. They just weren't very efficient at it. Just like the farmers managing in ne iowa.
The leasors of buffalo county call the shots, they are the ones putting up the big $$. Their main concern is bone, so they aren't going out of their way to achieve population goals. That all equals a lot of deer. My part of the state is similar but not to the extreme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trempealeau county is slacking, none of their minutes are available yet. Jackson County also does not have their Oct minutes posted yet....

For me, Marathon is maintain which I guess is OK.

I also was suprised that Waupaca was maintain. I'm suprised it wasn't decrease.

Dodge county suprised me too with increase.

Keep in mind that the DNR Natural Resources Board has the ability to override any and all CDAC recommendations if they do not agree with the "science". Waupaca can vote maintain all day long, but if the state Forester for that area sees a bunch of over-browsing going on the NRB still has the right to make it a decrease zone if the situation gets bad enough. Sort of bums me out as well kabic, the CDAC's are supposed to post meeting minutes within 7 days of the meeting per the committee bylaws, and I know it has been way longer than that for some of these county committees. They need to get their $h!t together.

How do you see minutes?

3rd and final round of meetings kick off next week. WI guys, get out to your local meeting or at least voice your opinion using the online survey. Let the DNR know what you saw and if you agree or disagree with the proposal for your area.

Just got done filling out my survey on my lunch break. If you haven't, Git-R-Dun! Google "WI DNR CDAC survey", it will be the top link. It takes like 5 minutes, unless you write a novella in the comment section at the bottom like I did.:oops: Sorry, but the killing of does by "youths"(dad's) during the 9 day gun season has to stop, period. This practice only makes it take longer for the herd to recover in areas where antlerless tags are limited or non-existent for the average hunter. Someday those "older, healthy hunters" may just decide to hang it up if they never have the opportunity to take home a deer, just so the kids and disabled hunters(which both have their own special seasons) can have someone shoot their deer for them during the 9 day regular gun hunt. I'm the last guy that wants to see hunter opportunity get less, but those groups already have a specialty season to participate in and harvest an antlerless during that time. Putting them in the woods with their "hunting party" during the 9 day gun season and allowing them to "crosstag" antlerless deer with their buck tags is wrong on many levels.

Just got done filling out my survey on my lunch break. If you haven't, Git-R-Dun! Google "WI DNR CDAC survey", it will be the top link. It takes like 5 minutes, unless you write a novella in the comment section at the bottom like I did.:oops: Sorry, but the killing of does by "youths"(dad's) during the 9 day gun season has to stop, period. This practice only makes it take longer for the herd to recover in areas where antlerless tags are limited or non-existent for the average hunter. Someday those "older, healthy hunters" may just decide to hang it up if they never have the opportunity to take home a deer, just so the kids and disabled hunters(which both have their own special seasons) can have someone shoot their deer for them during the 9 day regular gun hunt. I'm the last guy that wants to see hunter opportunity get less, but those groups already have a specialty season to participate in and harvest an antlerless during that time. Putting them in the woods with their "hunting party" during the 9 day gun season and allowing them to "crosstag" antlerless deer with their buck tags is wrong on many levels.

Agree 100 %. This in my opinion was just a way for the DNR to say to the hunter that although you wanted antlerless hunting closed this year to let the herd recover, it is never going to happen. The DNR will always have some type of antlerless hunting untill there are no deer left to hunt in the North.

Filled mine out this morning. I agreed with the CDAD's comment that Marathon county is way too big and diverse to set doe tags for the entire county. They need to break the county up like they did in Marinette County.

I agree with your statement as well Tom. It is the DNR's way of "sneaking" in antlerless harvest under the noses of the Fudd's who do not pay attention to this stuff like we all do. The Fudd's won't look at this data, all they will hear is that "Less antlerless tags were issued in Zone XYZ this season, so your hunting should improve in the next few years, just keep buying those licenses boys.", which the DNR knows is BS, but only the select few "deer nuts" are willing to call them out on any of this. The Elmer Fudd's don't investigate it far enough to know what is going on right under their noses.

It is indefensible. And 100% bypasses the reason for having a youth tag in the first place.

Waupaca is 99% private they could recommend total decimation and it would be meaningless

Your right, they cant make people kill deer to reduce the herd the most they could do would be to increase the season dates to encourage a higher deer kill. An unlikely extreme would be only issue doe tags with a draw for limited number of buck tags. Never would happen, but would be fun to listen to people complain.

They can better control doe permits & season data to increase the herd.