The end of businesses in Minnesota

MN has tried to change that to 60 days in the past. It's still 6 months plus 1 day. If they dropped it down to >60 days, That would finish off the snow birds. They would owe MN a percentage of their gross income (even if none of it is MN source income) based on their days in MN. Good chance that would hit me as a seasonal weekender even.

Then it'd become a real game of cat and mouse for them to hunt down people dodging them. The shitty thing is, there is so much redundancy in tracking people now, there's potentially dozens of places they can acquire data that would incriminate you like:

Your car's GPS, phone gps, credit/debit card transactions, license plate scanners, utility bills, social media posts (and not only your own), airline records, hotel stays, uber records, door dash records, pizza hut online, ring doorbell records, amazon records, etc.

All the more reason to leave entirely. Plenty of other states you could split time in.

All the more reason to leave entirely. Plenty of other states you could split time in.

I find the area I live in absolute paradise.

And the place I own a business in a living hell.

I’m never leaving though. There is a way with rental properties to completely get around it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you guys are grossly misinformed unless something just happened. We have been mandated to do this in Minnesota since January 1, 2024.

I went with option 3 as this is how we ran things for the most part anyway.

Option 1. Accrual and carryover:
§ employees begin accruing ESST from their first day of employment;
§ ESST accrues at a rate of at least one hour for every 30 hours worked;
§ employees are permitted to accrue a minimum of up to 48 hours of ESST in a year (more if the employer agrees to a higher amount); and
§ employees can carry over unused ESST into the next year. However, at no time can an employee’s accrued ESST exceed 80 hours (unless the employer agrees to a higher amount).

Option 2. Front loading with pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 48 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ unused ESST hours are paid out at the end of the accrual year at the employee’s hourly rate.

Option 3. Front loading with no pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 80 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ the ESST hours the employee did not use are not paid out at the end of the accrual year.

Hs something just changed? I see 2026 being mentioned.

ESST and MnFMLA are two different things. ESST is covered entirely by the employer. MnFMLA will come from taxes.
If the same actuary gave the most recent estimate as what gave the estimate for Walz's last handout, they are still grossly underestimating what this program (MnFMLA) will cost.

I think you guys are grossly misinformed unless something just happened. We have been mandated to do this in Minnesota since January 1, 2024.

I went with option 3 as this is how we ran things for the most part anyway.

Option 1. Accrual and carryover:
§ employees begin accruing ESST from their first day of employment;
§ ESST accrues at a rate of at least one hour for every 30 hours worked;
§ employees are permitted to accrue a minimum of up to 48 hours of ESST in a year (more if the employer agrees to a higher amount); and
§ employees can carry over unused ESST into the next year. However, at no time can an employee’s accrued ESST exceed 80 hours (unless the employer agrees to a higher amount).

Option 2. Front loading with pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 48 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ unused ESST hours are paid out at the end of the accrual year at the employee’s hourly rate.

Option 3. Front loading with no pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 80 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ the ESST hours the employee did not use are not paid out at the end of the accrual year.

Hs something just changed? I see 2026 being mentioned.

2026 starts mandated 20 weeks per year in PTO. That's what is in place unless something happens to change it or shut that down.

I own a business in Minnesota, but I only have one employee. If it gets worse, I’m just going to hang it up and live off my farms and my retirement dollars..

I see no reason to send thousands in tax $$ to fund this nonsense. Our Governor Walz, hates anyone that’s not a liberal, he treats the outstate like we are second class citizens.

I own a business in Minnesota, but I only have one employee. If it gets worse, I’m just going to hang it up and live off my farms and my retirement dollars..

I see no reason to send thousands in tax $$ to fund this nonsense. Our Governor Walz, hates anyone that’s not a liberal, he treats the outstate like we are second class citizens.

May have to consider moving my business across the river or could be an excuse to become an Iowa resident. We do business in both states anyway.

What about 1099’s. May have to consider going that route.

“The state will work with employees to determine length and justification for leave and agency officials will oversee compliance and penalties.”

Seems like you would need a reason or justification for using the full amount of PTO.

Employers with less than 50 employees are not required to have fmla.

This is why I asked if they need to follow Federal FMLA rules.

Do you have a link to this? I haven't seen it written that way before.
I just did a search for 20 weeks paid leave in minnesota.

In 2026 all employees will qualify as soon as they have earned $3,500. Part time, doesn't matter if it's just one employee or a hundred. We have less than 1 1/2 years to figure out if there's a way to not have to participate but it sure doesn't sound very promising for employers as usual.

Guy I know was bitching about it and I figured he was just getting carried away on rumors or the usual negative people spewing bullshit. I looked it up and then didn't even feel well after reading the retarded proposal.

Not like this is habitat related or anything, but here are some helpful links:

Frequently asked questions for employers: https://mn.gov/deed/paidleave/employers/faq/

Frequently asked questions for employees: https://mn.gov/deed/paidleave/employees/faq/

If you have fewer than 30 employees you can be eligible for reduced payments. People's leave will still need to be approved and it will be up to 20 weeks, after combining paid family and medical leave. It is not guaranteed. Even the language of the house bill spells this out. The amount paid out is based on the employee's wages and the state's median salary. It is a 0.88% increase in total (0.44 for both employee and employer).

It would be GREAT if people at least tried to keep things habitat related on forums like this. I love the way this forum is moderated and really appreciate the majority of users. Some people are determined to turn this into facebook.

I've never had a facebook or twitter account. Tell me, what's it like?

This proposal is a good incentive for employers to down size in my opinion. Then there will be more people unemployed and that means more people will be able to work on their habitat improvements. Now we're talking habitat. Hope this pleases everyone.

I don't like the government requiring private companies how to run their business and I don't like this program, but I don't think this will be a significant expense relative to other standard benefits offered by most companies (PTO, medical insurance, dental insurance, 401k match, etc.)