All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weeds, You can't beat them!

Beans look great John!!!
No more eagle beans for this guy. 4.5mat planted early sounds like a dead ringer for southern Mo! What would it run to ship a few bags???

I will take care of you!

Those are some good looking beans. I like your plan to mix maturity dates as insurance against frost while also giving you some green leaves into bow season. What organic matter % does your soybean plot have?

Have any luck with your overseeding brassicas or rye in your beans? I broadcast brassicas in oat stubble in july and cultipacked and have some nice looking brassicas. I broadcast some brassicas into neighboring soybeans growing on 30" rows without any cultipacking and I didn't have much luck. I'm just curious to find out if anyone else has any luck overseeding brassicas in beans or if I'm just throwing away seeds. My soil is fairly sandy, so maybe that hurt my broadcasting chances a bit.

Those are some good looking beans. I like your plan to mix maturity dates as insurance against frost while also giving you some green leaves into bow season. What organic matter % does your soybean plot have?

Have any luck with your overseeding brassicas or rye in your beans? I broadcast brassicas in oat stubble in july and cultipacked and have some nice looking brassicas. I broadcast some brassicas into neighboring soybeans growing on 30" rows without any cultipacking and I didn't have much luck. I'm just curious to find out if anyone else has any luck overseeding brassicas in beans or if I'm just throwing away seeds. My soil is fairly sandy, so maybe that hurt my broadcasting chances a bit.
The only time I had good luck broadcasting brassica on light soil was the time that a 3 inch down pour occurred within a few hours of broadcasting. Marginal luck at all other times on light soil.
I did have a good stand on my heaviest soil when broadcasted into beans. My heaviest soil is just good corn ground if someone needs a comparison. Not great, but good corn ground.

We have limited success with over seeding our bean plots. Our beans are pretty thick still in early oct, so not much sunlight can reach the soil. But as cheap as the seed is, I broadcast no matter what. Big rains help, as Art said.

Brassicas in 30" rows seem to work a little better than solid seeded beans in this MN plot I have. Still these brassicas are way behind from lack of sunlight for so long! They were broadcast in July. This picture is from today!

5.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
They have really good color.

John-my broadcast brassica in the beans and also those on tilled ground up north have not done real well. They probably need more light and rain at the right times.

But some of the same radish seed in the garden has gone to seed and even some of the rutabagas in the garden have seeded out.

John-my broadcast brassica in the beans and also those on tilled ground up north have not done real well. They probably need more light and rain at the right times.

But some of the same radish seed in the garden has gone to seed and even some of the rutabagas in the garden have seeded out.

I have had some good luck and bad luck this year Art. And no rhyme or reason for it. Same seed in 2 different areas, broadcast the same day, came with totally different results. And why I have no idea.

With not many deer, it won't really matter here one way or the other I am sad to say!

Mo how many deer you figure are there 8-12 per sq. mi.?

Mo how many deer you figure are there 8-12 per sq. mi.?

Here at our place in MN? 8......maybe! From what I am seeing lately, my guess would be closer to 6 per square mile.

Man does it hurt to say that!:mad:

Good to read this Mo. I have experienced this too this year and I thought it was my bad farming skills (which is still quite possible ;))

Anytime a person broadcast's seed on top of the ground, we risk bad seed to soil contract. Can that happen in one plot and not another done the same day, I think I proved it to myself this year.

Its almost like hinging two trees that are the same. one grows great for years and the other dies in 3 weeks. Go Figure!