All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weeds, You can't beat them!

If it is planted can it really be called volunteer;)

Here is a plot I frost seeded with clover this spring, the far end took real well but the end closer to the camera didn't take so well and filled in with ragweed. I have multiple pics of the deer close to the camera eating on the ragweed.

Pic from out in front of the camera.

If it is planted can it really be called volunteer;)

I was the only guy that volunteered to hand seed 6 acres of it, so I get to call it what I want!:D

now that would be sweet! if only you could spray your plots with a drone as well. battery and weight limitations will be an issue for a while on these. I see it happening sooner than later though

They have radio contolled mini copters now that can carry 2 gallons of liquid. FAA has strict regulations on who can use them though.

Used in conjunction with apps to spot weedy areas and spot spray? seems like neat technology, wouldn't have to spray entire fields, only problematic areas more precisely.

Good job on the video, John.

Do you blend the beans in the planter?

Good job on the video, John.

Do you blend the beans in the planter?

Yep, In the planter boxes. I did about half and half.

BEAUTIFUL stuff right there John! Can't wait to walk the N MO soil!

You will love it!

John, just curious, why are you mixing the 2.5 maturity beans in?
I have always planted 4 maturity beans the first week or two in may in North MO with no problems reaching full maturity before frost, or being able to overseed in late August-mid September.

The beans I probably sold you and most farmers for our area are between a 1.0 and a 1.4 mat. Standard maturity to make grain around my place normally.

I make or mix my own eagle beans so to speak. The longer the maturity the more the branches, which gives you a lot more leaves and pods. The reason I mix if the 2.5 maturity beans with the 4.5's is to make sure I have beans if it freezes early. This year its not a problem. Both the 4.5 and the 2.5 will make good grain. should feed a lot of deer into dec easy now.

John, just curious, why are you mixing the 2.5 maturity beans in?
I have always planted 4 maturity beans the first week or two in may in North MO with no problems reaching full maturity before frost, or being able to overseed in late August-mid September.

The 2.5 beans I have through NuTech can still grow 70 Bushel beans down here. Yield wise no different than the 4.5 beans just about 10 days earlier to full maturity. Probably could get by with all 4.5's, but I know my luck, and early frost I no like!

Do you have to add a lot of K to your plots when the deer are taking the leaves and beans? Also, do you think the 4.5 beans are holding back your rye?

Got ya, I've been buying/planting 4's in KS & MO for the last 5 years or so and haven't been frosted out yet, so I was curious if you had run into troubles before.
Seems like when I drill on 7.5" centers, I dont have near the early browse pressure, but its difficult to overseed, & they shattered in January, vrs holding into February when I opened it up to 15" centers

^ good discussion on maturity. Thanks

Got ya, I've been buying/planting 4's in KS & MO for the last 5 years or so and haven't been frosted out yet, so I was curious if you had run into troubles before.
Seems like when I drill on 7.5" centers, I dont have near the early browse pressure, but its difficult to overseed, & they shattered in January, vrs holding into February when I opened it up to 15" centers

Shattered in Jan? Most here never last until Jan to shatter!

Do you have to add a lot of K to your plots when the deer are taking the leaves and beans? Also, do you think the 4.5 beans are holding back your rye?

We have limed and added 19-19-19 or 17-17-17 for a few years now. It is usually what I have left over from farmers for corn starter. I will soil test next spring now and see what this ground really needs now after 4 years.

Shattered in Jan? Most here never last until Jan to shatter!
Last year I had a few pods left Into first week of march.
shed hunting was excellent20150307_204535.jpg

Beans look great John!!!
No more eagle beans for this guy. 4.5mat planted early sounds like a dead ringer for southern Mo! What would it run to ship a few bags???