Weeds, You can't beat them!

M

MoLandOwner

One of my soybean plots next to the house. The deer are hammering.......the weeds! As well as the beans some. Waterhemp and Ragweed seem to be the weeds of choice right now. So save your money on spray and let them have the weeds for dinner!

Mo how can u have any soybeans by fall if there is 20-30 deer on such a little field? I've had what seems like less than 20 deer, keep soybeans below my knees, on a 20 acre field.

Mo how can u have any soybeans by fall if there is 20-30 deer on such a little field? I've had what seems like less than 20 deer, keep soybeans below my knees, on a 20 acre field.

4.5 maturity planted at 250,000 per acre!;)

Are they actually eating that stinky shit?? Waterhemp and more so giant ragweed absolutely laugh at glyphosate applications where I farm. Lots of bean fields around here look like that and they have sprayed them 2 or 3 times. Nobody wants to screw with Liberty link beans. They are all waiting for the Chinese to approve Enlist and Extend beans.

In all fairness Dip, we have more than one of these 3 acre fields this year. But your right, this year they will be gone early down here, No crops planted here for 2 miles. Will over seed with corn and Tillage Radish this weekend if I get time. Should help get through oct.

I gotta take a peek at one of my neighbors fields. He lets a guy plant and pick crops on his 5 acre field for nothing, but the deer destroy everything. He usually does corn but he did beans this year, and it appears he doubled the seeding rate to beat the hungry mouths.
I planted corn one year on this field and barely filled a gravity box of cob corn. He also gave me a beautiful 14' disc in great shape, so I was still in the green.
With us killing 40 does/year there is getting to be less deer. I'm not seeing those herds of 15-20 as much, but I can still go out and see a dozen does on a couple fields.

I gotta take a peek at one of my neighbors fields. He lets a guy plant and pick crops on his 5 acre field for nothing, but the deer destroy everything. He usually does corn but he did beans this year, and it appears he doubled the seeding rate to beat the hungry mouths.
I planted corn one year on this field and barely filled a gravity box of cob corn. He also gave me a beautiful 14' disc in great shape, so I was still in the green.
With us killing 40 does/year there is getting to be less deer. I'm not seeing those herds of 15-20 as much, but I can still go out and see a dozen does on a couple fields.

One box of cob corn after deer season?......sounds like success to me!

It's was picked in October, I still made out w that sweet disc

Just over seeded this soybean plot and the others with 8,000 seeds per acre of 80 day corn seed, and 3lbs per acre of Vivant brassica. Did it all by hand yesterday as it was way to wet to drive in. My fricken arm is sore today. Getting some more rain on the plots this monday morning. We will see how it works out in a few weeks.

John, please get us some pictures of the results!
Did you have to walk it twice, once for the corn and once with the brassica?

did you use an extender with the brassica seed?

John, please get us some pictures of the results!
Did you have to walk it twice, once for the corn and once with the brassica?

did you use an extender with the brassica seed?

Yep walked it twice, corn flew way better than the brassica, had to make twice as many trips doing that seed.

Some day......we will have a solo seeded strapped to a drone. Wouldn't that be sweet?

I bet you could sell a few of those rigs......or do custom seed applications.

now that would be sweet! if only you could spray your plots with a drone as well. battery and weight limitations will be an issue for a while on these. I see it happening sooner than later though

My BIL recently bought a quadcopter drone for "farming purposes". He said there isn't much to do besides look at fields with it. He showed it to us last weekend and it didn't take long for him to fly around the 1/4 section. It'll be interesting to see what those things are like in 5 years! I imagine one big enough to carry spray for 40 acres would be a pile of money!

Just over seeded this soybean plot and the others with 8,000 seeds per acre of 80 day corn seed, and 3lbs per acre of Vivant brassica. Did it all by hand yesterday as it was way to wet to drive in. My fricken arm is sore today. Getting some more rain on the plots this monday morning. We will see how it works out in a few weeks.
Corn MO? Won't the deer eat that seed? Will that actually germinate ? Interesting

Corn MO? Won't the deer eat that seed? Will that actually germinate ? Interesting

You have never seen volunteer corn in a bean field?

With all the rain we have been having in Missouri, we should get some good corn germination as the seed gets pounded in the mud. Deer are busy eating weeds and beans right now, they should leave the seed alone. We use the corn as cover mainly, if it makes ears....all the better!

Volunteer Corn in the beans, get the deer to feed in the day time hours!

You wouldn't even need RR for this I suppose?

You wouldn't even need RR for this I suppose?

Correct, $65 a bag conventional corn beats $180 a bag RR for this purpose. And I like conventional corn better than Sorghum Sudan grass for screening, because you may get a lot of extra feed if the ears make it!

Last edited: