Sheep hunt?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I've always admired and lusted for a Big Horn Sheep. I'll never get a tag or be able to afford a true hunt for one. So... if a guy was to look for a budget hunt (even high fenced) for something that resembled a full curl ram what's available? Just to give background; I've never been on a guided hunt, paid for a hunt, or done something that wasn't do it yourself and near home. Never even hunted out of state. Is there something out there that's reasonable?

Would an aoudad in TX scratch the itch?

Would an aoudad in TX scratch the itch?
I hate to sound picky but I just googled them and their horns don't inspire me. Not enough of a curl if that make sense? The terrain and sheep themselves look awesome for a hunt though. Plus I'm plenty close enough to TX for it to be a very strong consideration!

High fence huh…well maybe you can see if the petting zoo has an old one that needs culling 😁
Ya, it was difficult to even type that! I obviously have never been in a high fence and as such can't say one way or another what those hunts are like. I do believe that in certain instances they would feel like a petting zoo, and in other instances you wouldn't even know it was there. I trust Baker a great deal and he says many high fence hunts are just as wild and uncertain hunting as anywhere else. I'd give it a try at this point in life.

I hope this doesn’t sound disrespectful, but you may be better off trying to buy a skull or mount. And for the record, I will never be able to go on a sheep hunt, so this is not some “holier than thou” crap.

Ive considered buying a few texas dall to turn loose on my property , low fence. I have no clue what they are like.207518TexasDallSheep-3.jpg

Yea I am in the same boat. I would love to have one to hang on my wall, but I think a caribou and a mountain lion are FAR more realistic for me. I know the high fence operation down the road that has a ram in there that looks close enough to a Bighorn that I would kill him and pretend it was something else! LOL

We know the owners pretty well I can ask what species it is, maybe I can snap a picture of him today when I drive by.

I hope this doesn’t sound disrespectful, but you may be better off trying to buy a skull or mount. And for the record, I will never be able to go on a sheep hunt, so this is not some “holier than thou” crap.
I don't take it as disrespectful. Truth is I don't really know about buying one but doubt that would be very satisfying to me. I love to find fossils and absolutely want a SabreTooth tiger skull! My chances of finding one are zero. I would consider buying one. Now if my chances of finding were not zero I would probably not buy one. I might be weird but it is what it is.

Yea I am in the same boat. I would love to have one to hang on my wall, but I think a caribou and a mountain lion are FAR more realistic for me. I know the high fence operation down the road that has a ram in there that looks close enough to a Bighorn that I would kill him and pretend it was something else! LOL

We know the owners pretty well I can ask what species it is, maybe I can snap a picture of him today when I drive by.
That would be awesome!!! Thanks.
Maybe... if something gets figured out we could pool together for some sort of hunt? I started this thread as an exploration just to see what's out there that I don't know about. Would be cool if it turned into something.

Last edited:
I don't take it disrespect

That would be awesome!!! Thanks.
Maybe... if something gets figured out we could pool together for some sort of hunt? I started this thread as an exploration just to see what's out there that I don't know about. Would be cool if it turned into something.
A big bull bison is cooler... 😎

The a above ranch is 18,000 acres. That is 28 square miles. Hardly shooting fish in a barrel. Now that said - even animals in unfenced ground can lose some of their natural wildness depending on the management of the habitat they live in - extensive predator control, year round feeding, daily extent of human activity, etc. The deer on my place, where I am out and about everyday, are much calmer than they are on the neighbor’s high fence 1400 acres - where there is only intermittent human activity. If I didnt mind doing it, I could shoot a deer off my ranger many days within ten minutes of leaving the house. I have rode around on neighbor’s high fence area several times and maybe once have seen a deer you could shoot - all the rest were white tails going through the woods. I have never hunted a high fence area - but neighbor’s deer are much “wilder” than my deer.

That said, I have no idea about the inherent “wildness” of those Texas Dall’s. But, If I was of a mind to do it, and the fee was not a problem - I would sure not let the opinions of others sway me one little bit.

Ya, it was difficult to even type that! I obviously have never been in a high fence and as such can't say one way or another what those hunts are like. I do believe that in certain instances they would feel like a petting zoo, and in other instances you wouldn't even know it was there. I trust Baker a great deal and he says many high fence hunts are just as wild and uncertain hunting as anywhere else. I'd give it a try at this point in life.
I will agree to disagree about the validity of that statement but with regards to the topic of sheep, the problem with sheep is they have such a rugged and vast range that any high fence operation is not going to be able to do that justice. That “hunt” will probably feel empty for someone like you. Unfortunately the common man’s options are limited. Maybe something in Mexico but even they know how valuable sheep are. I have 16 points in Utah but zero expectations of ever getting to go.

I will agree to disagree about the validity of that statement but with regards to the topic of sheep, the problem with sheep is they have such a rugged and vast range that any high fence operation is not going to be able to do that justice. That “hunt” will probably feel empty for someone like you. Unfortunately the common man’s options are limited. Maybe something in Mexico but even they know how valuable sheep are. I have 16 points in Utah but zero expectations of ever getting to go.
Google "snow sheep russia hunt". That's what I really want to do! Make it a combo with a brown bear and I'm one happy man!

Google "snow sheep russia hunt". That's what I really want to do! Make it a combo with a brown bear and I'm one happy man!
Man if Russian wasn’t so full of Russian it would be an outdoor paradise. Going to Kamchatka to fish is/was the number one trip on my bucket list! Zero chance Im headed over there anytime soon.

Sheep hunting like Moose hunting requires young mans legs and an old man's wallet. I have seen prices for a sheep tag in auctions or lotteries range from $35k - $75k depending on the breed. Trophy curls are expensive. They have an amazing habitat they operate in if you want a free range opportunity. I have the wallet but not the legs anymore.

Good luck in your pursuit Cat, chase the dream while you are still young!

1694617859821.png

Tom Miranda - who has bow killed every north american big game species - and multiples on a lot of them - claimed to have almost $250k in his Mexico Desert bighorn. Took several attempts at about $70k per if I remember correctly. Said it was the most expensive of the north american hunts

Man if Russian wasn’t so full of Russian it would be an outdoor paradise. Going to Kamchatka to fish is/was the number one trip on my bucket list! Zero chance Im headed over there anytime soon.
Surly there isn't a lot of Russians in Kamchatka? Seems pretty remote to me.
Tell ya what... we go over together and I shoot a slam of snow sheep and you go fishing. I'm sure if you end up imprisoned that our president will trade a terrorist for you (if you fit all the correct social demographics).

Sheep hunting like Moose hunting requires young mans legs and an old man's wallet. I have seen prices for a sheep tag in auctions or lotteries range from $35k - $75k depending on the breed. Trophy curls are expensive. They have an amazing habitat they operate in if you want a free range opportunity. I have the wallet but not the legs anymore.

Good luck in your pursuit Cat, chase the dream while you are still young!

View attachment 57209

I'm 50 and have confidence in my legs, but unfortunately lack the old guy pocketbook. Got to say this pic is absolutely perfect!

Did a quick search and thought I found my substitute Bighorn... Urial Rams! Then I looked for a price and realized I may not have found my hunt.