Last Minute Curveball

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Things tend to happen when you least expect it. Got news last night that the wife drew a rifle cow elk tag. Mind you, I have been applying in multiple states for PP for a number of years. But she has never once given it a thought. So it was a suprise when she drew after I talked her into applying on a whim. Usually tags are considered a once or maybe twice in a lifetime event here. Now my fall plans, multiple tags in various states have been thrown into a blender. Have two weeks to organize a hunt in a unit I've never stepped foot in. Considering neither of us have hunted elk before. This could get interesting.

Told her last night to lay off the snacks and start hitting the treadmill with a pack on, should of seen the look I got, ha.

Any tips appreciated.

What state and when is the hunt?

SD, Oct 15th, guessing temps could be anwhere from 10 degrees to 80. So not really sure what to expect.

Congrats! Not familiar with the SD hunts, only done MT, WY, CO for elk and lots of friends have done the "posse hunting" thing on the once in a lifetime ND elk tags. I know in ND because of the lack of tags people seem way more willing to help with info and elk locations. Not sure if SD is similar, is it a black hills hunt?

For cows in general it seems finding the best feed where they can go without getting blasted is the deal.

I would recommend calling some of the game wardens and state foresters in those areas. I wouldn't expect them to give you specific locations, but they should be able to tell you what general areas would be a good place to start.

Is there any way you could drive out there this weekend for a quick 2 day scouting trip? While out there you could stop at a few gas stations, restaurants and bars and see if anyone can point you in the right direction.

Good luck, that should be a lot of fun. I enjoy turkey hunting in the black hills and I'm surprised at the amount of elk sign we see. There are a number of the wildlife water gurglers set up on ridge tops in some areas and there always seems to be a lot of wildlife sign in those areas. We hunted in the Pringle area and I'm assuming there were similar water gurglers set up on other public properties elsewhere in the black hills as well.

Congrats on drawing tags! I've never hunted elk. I grew up in PA. There was a small herd near the center of the state. They were heavily managed at the time. An elk hunt was someone from the department taking you out and saying "shoot that one". Not my kind of hunting.

Now that I'm in VA, a neighboring state established a small herd. At first, our game department was not happy with that and you could basically shoot an elk on your deer tag. Eventually, they decided to embrace it and make some money. This was the first year that they are issuing a small number of elk tags.

I do have relatives in SD, and I go visit most years, but I'm really only somewhat familiar with the eastern part of the state.

So I guess I'm not help at all. Just have fun!

Congrats! PM sent.

Little bit of beginners luck,
Some pretrip strategy sessions.
And some grit.
20221015_115225.jpg
20221015_105208.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg
Honestly she's a better shot than I am
IMG_2377.jpg
3 out of the last three she's blows the heart out.

Nice! Congrats to you and the wife!

Awesome!

Congrats!!

Congrats! That's some good eating!

Congrats!

your a lucky guy! congrats

Beautiful...Congrats!