Sheep hunt?

If you want to shoot caribou/reindeer, with a bit of planning you can do a DIY hunt in Norway. You can't bring the meat to the US, but I would happily eat it.

I was in Eskifjörður, Iceland a few weeks ago, and two reindeer hunters had just shot their deer and came down off the mountain. The antlers were impressive, and the scenery there is just stunning. Apparently they guarantee you a tag if you strike out 5 years in a row. Prices seemed rather reasonable too. And the local guide has a hot tub and sauna. And there is a friendly arctic fox running around.

View attachment 57243
View attachment 57244
You mind me asking where you live Telemark (I think you've said but I don't remember)? You always have interesting hunts and views.

Norway.

Last year I took the family to Yellowstone at the end of July. One morning we decided to hike to the top of Mt. Washburn. I had never seen a bighorn until then. We saw mostly mama and babies. No big rams. They did a great job of providing some awesome memories. It was impressive to watch them walk on cliff faces. They sent plenty of debris falling down. At this point I'd settle for any hunt out west. Getting sick of hunting in shithole MN.

IMG_0603.JPGIMG_0607.JPEGIMG_0609.JPEGIMG_0612.JPEGIMG_0618.JPEG

We went to Yellowstone this summer. My youngest daughter wanted to see a Mnt Goat in the worst way when we were in Yellowstone. We never got to see any, she says she is going back to Yellowstone until she sees a Mnt Goat .... when she gets something in her head it usually sticks like that LOL. She probably would have been plenty happy with the Bighorns.

You can hunt bighorns in some of the coolest country over the counter every year (until you kill one and go on the 7 year wait list) in MT unlimited districts. It’s just a very difficult hunt.

Next best odds without spending buku $ is in Idaho but those hunts are still not high draw odds and likely still difficult hunts.

Some states like AZ and NV make it easy and cheap to at least get in the draw if you are applying for Muleys or elk, the odds are just terrible.

When I booked an AK dall hunt for 2019 in 2017 the avg rate was $15-17k but I paid 18 based on the rep of the outfitter. Seems many AK dall hunts are in the 30-40 range now with some still in the 20’s. In many cases you get what you pay for.

While some sheep hunts are indeed ass kickers, I think a lot of sheep hunts are hyped more as an ego thing to make them seem more epic and difficult than they are.

The idea of wild sheep being bred to be shot in a fence is pretty gross to me personally. Wish that $ / effort was going to put more sheep on the mountain instead.

Last edited:
High odds AK drop camp moose hunts were in the $10k neighborhood last I looked. Fully guided mountain goats, a little more than that.

High odds AK drop camp moose hunts were in the $10k neighborhood last I looked. Fully guided mountain goats, a little more than that.
Are you talking DIY self guided drop camp Moose hunts? Those look to be $12-$15k. Then there is the cost of all the other additional such as field processing of game and transport back, tips, licenses & fees, transportation to AK.

A guided moose hunt is going run in the $25-$35k range.

Are you talking DIY self guided drop camp Moose hunts? Those look to be $12-$15k. Then there is the cost of all the other additional such as field processing of game and transport back, tips, licenses & fees, transportation to AK.

A guided moose hunt is going run in the $25-$35k range.
Yes. “Self guided” as in they drop you right where you need to be to sit for a week and kill moose. I was only referring to their fee in the prices. You have to break down the moose and carry it to the landing strip on your own. Basically you aren’t paying an extra $10k+ for someone to cook for you, break down and pack your moose, call, field judge, and make sure you know how to camp safely.

This is the one with the best reputation from when I was researching a few years back. $11k.

Last edited:
Yes. “Self guided” as in they drop you right where you need to be to sit for a week and kill moose. I was only referring to their fee in the prices. You have to break down the moose and carry it to the landing strip on your own. Basically you aren’t paying an extra $10k+ for someone to cook for you, break down and pack your moose, call, field judge, and make sure you know how to camp safely.

This is the one with the best reputation from when I was researching a few years back. $11k.
Did you get one? Anyone here ever killed a moose?

Did you get one? Anyone here ever killed a moose?
I never went but I have a handful of friends who have been 100% successful on these AK drop hunts for moose and caribou.

Last edited:
Sorry about the photo quality, they have been on the far side of the pen when I have been by there lately.full sheep.jpgsheep2.jpgsheep1.jpg

Jason,look up NM ibex,they say it's the roughest hunt in US.If you can draw.

Tree spud who did you go with? I have shot 2 shiras,1 in CO and 1 in WY.Now with tag cuts my wife is dropping out of WY with 19 points

Jason,look up NM ibex,they say it's the roughest hunt in US.If you can draw.
Watched a couple of video's on that hunt last night. Look spectacular, and those things can walk on the side of a cliff! Wow!

Tree spud who did you go with? I have shot 2 shiras,1 in CO and 1 in WY.Now with tag cuts my wife is dropping out of WY with 19 points

It's a shame how WY did NR Moose/Sheep applicants recently. Took a lot of people out of the game. Glad I never got in.