Tick Talk

Even for residential yards, I can never get behind broadcast application of insecticide. Can’t be good.
They have quite a few business's around our area that spray for mosquitos. Names that come to mind are Mosquito Squad, etc. I am told Talstar is what they use. I have sprayed around the perimeter of my buildings with Talstar when we had lots of asian beetle issues. Solved that problem....NOW!. This year the mosquitos here are just crazy. I think I will tackle the issue. Still researching it.

Are more ticks being salted in red states? This is crazy the amount you guys are getting. Illinois now seems to be slightly ok at 3 things; farming, deer hunting, and less ticks than red states.

Are more ticks being salted in red states? This is crazy the amount you guys are getting. Illinois now seems to be slightly ok at 3 things; farming, deer hunting, and less ticks than red states.
In fairness Kentucky has a communist governor who banned nonresidents during Covid from turkey hunting and threw people in jail for going to church so these are deep blue ticks.

Luckily, up by me, it's mostly just plain wood ticks. The alarming amount of predators seem to keep a lid on the rodent population and that is supposedly what helps keep the deer ticks at bay. I know I probably take holistic prevention to the extremes, but I don't want to be the first to discover a new tick disease has burst on the scene or an existing one made it to my neck of the woods. I also don't want any part of the chems. There aren't many chronic or deadly diseases that didn't begin with an fda or usda approval.

Luckily, up by me, it's mostly just plain wood ticks. The alarming amount of predators seem to keep a lid on the rodent population and that is supposedly what helps keep the deer ticks at bay. I know I probably take holistic prevention to the extremes, but I don't want to be the first to discover a new tick disease has burst on the scene or an existing one made it to my neck of the woods. I also don't want any part of the chems. There aren't many chronic or deadly diseases that didn't begin with an fda or usda approval.
Just keep your fingers out of your mouth when using pesticides or herbicides.....and wash behind your ears. I wear rubber gloves when dealing with these things.....and avoid breathing the air where possible. So far....life goes on.

They are tenacious little devils. I showered, put on all different clothes, and have been at work for the last eight hours and just found a tick crawling up my leg. Pretty sure they've figured out teleportation.

They are tenacious little devils. I showered, put on all different clothes, and have been at work for the last eight hours and just found a tick crawling up my leg. Pretty sure they've figured out teleportation.

For me it’s my boots. I can clean pretty much anything else and when I put my boots back on, there they are…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I had a short lapse in my tick/chigger protocol and am paying for it now.

After mowing pastures this weekend in fully treated clothing, I forgot to pull the raccoon traps I had set and had to run back out to the farm after showering and getting ready for dinner with the family. I spent a total of 3 minutes out of the truck in the food plot, and still ended up with about 30 chigger bites…. That’s what I get for going out there in tennis shoes.

They have quite a few business's around our area that spray for mosquitos. Names that come to mind are Mosquito Squad, etc. I am told Talstar is what they use. I have sprayed around the perimeter of my buildings with Talstar when we had lots of asian beetle issues. Solved that problem....NOW!. This year the mosquitos here are just crazy. I think I will tackle the issue. Still researching it.

I spray the yard every 2 weeks with a natural product called Wondercide. It is just cedar oil and sesame oil with a surfactant. It keeps the fly, mosquito, tick, and chigger numbers extremely low.

For me it’s my boots. I can clean pretty much anything else and when I put my boots back on, there they are…

Different boots too. They really are magical little critters!

My partner in my golf league just got messed up by a tick. He had some sort of reaction in his blood to it. It was almost immediate he said. Was extremely lethargic. It was over the weekend and they were going to wait to go to the doctors on Monday but ended up taking him to the ER. Ended up spending a few days in the hospital. A couple weeks later and he says he still feels really tired. Great another new fear unlocked. I spent about 4 hours spraying invasives yesterday and didn't have a single one on me that I've seen yet, which is shocking. I'm usually a magnet. I don't have any permethrin but I sprayed my boots and pants real good with deep woods Off. Not sure if that helped or not.

Learned a lot from this (gamekeeper episode 158)