Spring is here

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Pulled 2 ticks off me Sunday, saw a snake yesterday and cut the grass. Only positive in that was I heard 3-4 turkeys fire off.
Ticks are so annoying, anyone buy some of that supposed tick guard style clothing? I know sitka makes some but I’m going to spend $400 on their gear to do habitat work and destroy it.

I found 3 ticks last Saturday after shed hunting for about 3 hours. Antlers=0, ticks=3. And I found 4 beaver dams that I will be taking out soon.

I found 3 ticks last Saturday after shed hunting for about 3 hours. Antlers=0, ticks=3. And I found 4 beaver dams that I will be taking out soon.
Tannerite?

Get some permethrin and mix it up per instructions. Spray it on your work pants and let it dry. It will keep ticks off you for 5 to 6 washings. I use the same pants for working in the woods or up at my land and the difference with having treated pants is amazing. Also, spray the outside of your house to keep ants and spiders out.

Saw a piece on the news the other day about the mild winter temps. and the effects on insects. They said the ticks will wake up and get active when the temp. outside hits 45*. The permethrin seems to help as does wearing knee boots with my pants tucked in.

I agree with Chucker on permethrin. Some of the clothing that is advertised as tick repellent is simply treated anyway. I've been using permethrin since my first deployment in 2003, and the only side effect has been the third arm I grew. But it really helps me get stuff done, so its fine... 🤣 😂

Tannerite?
3 of the 4 dams will be easy for my excavator. The biggest dam is going to be the hardest one to get at. Gonna try the EX but might be going with the tannerite if I can't get to it by machine. Of course it's as far away from my shed as possible so It will take me close to an hour drive with the 50G. 2.6 mph on level ground going in a straight line with a wind at my back. SLOW and that's high gear. Swamp is already thawed enough where I don't think it'll be easy getting to the main dam. I will get it one way or another. Hoping it's dry enough that after the dam is removed there isn't enough water and the beavers go somewhere else. Never used tannerite before.

3 of the 4 dams will be easy for my excavator. The biggest dam is going to be the hardest one to get at. Gonna try the EX but might be going with the tannerite if I can't get to it by machine. Of course it's as far away from my shed as possible so It will take me close to an hour drive with the 50G. 2.6 mph on level ground going in a straight line with a wind at my back. SLOW and that's high gear. Swamp is already thawed enough where I don't think it'll be easy getting to the main dam. I will get it one way or another. Hoping it's dry enough that after the dam is removed there isn't enough water and the beavers go somewhere else. Never used tannerite before.
Haha 2.6…you must have a turbo in that bad boy! My shadow passed me the other day on mine

If I have to drive it very far I try to do as much as possible while I'm there. My only complaint is the lack of speed. I rented a CAT excavator once to dig mine out of a really bad spot I got myself into and to me it seemed like the CAT had better ground speed. Machines were pretty equal otherwise. If I ever trade in my john deere I think I would go with the CAT for the faster speed though.

In a typical year the swamps would be frozen plenty good to drive on right now. Early spring weather and not much for moisture. Are we headed for a drought this year?

Was out last weekend clearing a shooting lane from my blind to my valley plot. Surprised there wasn't any ticks. I always keep my pants tucked into my boots, but it isn't fool proof.

View from plot to blind20240303_114641.jpg

I had a deer tick crawling up my pants on 2/14 which is the earliest I can recall. Went home and treated clothes for myself and all the kids. Is permethrin considered unsafe? I thought it was safe for pregnant women even.

I'm pretty sure it is safe. My FIL is a pharmacist and avid outdoorsman. He explained to me that the only reason they say not to spray on your skin is that your body will metabolize it and render it useless. So if it gets on skin you are wasting it.

I will mix it up in one of those pump hand sprayers and set out my clothes on the porch and absolutely soaked them about every couple weeks.

I used to do the permethrin dip to my habitat clothes. Got away from it as I've gotten more dialed in to trying reduce the gazillion things in our environment that will give all of us cancer some day. That being said, here's a list of things I do instead to keep the unit 731 ticks away:

*Wear those cheapo upper calf boots you can get at the farm store for $25 bucks.
*Tuck the jeans into them. I've never seen ticks climb the rubber.
*Keep your trails maintained well enough you're not rubbing up on grass above the boots or getting a full body tickle in the brush
*Stay out of the areas where you're bound to pick up a load of ticks (tall grass, old raspberry canes etc)
*Keep an eye on your legs if you've gone through a patch. You can catch them before they get further up the ladder.
*Check myself for ticks as soon as I'm outta the woods
*Keep your summer hair short enough you don't have ticks or gold finches nesting up there.
*Install a full length mirror in the cabin/house so you can look yourself over after you undress
*Keep all your woodland clothes out of your dwelling. They may not be on you, but they could be in your clothes/duffel bags yet.

I send my clothes to them every couple of years.

A JD 50g?!? Dang wish you were my neighbor. But did hear from WI DNR that some loggers are getting into swamps right now because so dry. Earlier this winter they had basically no frost so logging was not happening. Now it's almost spring and can go log in the swamp.... weird. Guy I was talking with does Shawano and Waupaca counties