Post season habitat projects?

plant trees and burn a few pine stands

groom trails

I work my tail off with habitat stuff on weekends off......then find myself formulating my next project list driving home Sunday night

bill

Add food, food, and more food.

Keep transplanting cedars for screening.

Fall and hinge out a couple more garage sized bedding pockets closer to food.

Fall some cedars, limb some cedars.

Spray fescue.

Continue perimeter access trail along one side.

Create a few more travel corridors.

Throw milkweed in a few different locations with different winds.

Moving a couple more year old apple trees, some are going up to the farmland I hunt. Prepping tree planting spots. Digging, amending rototilling. SPreading a few truckloads of woodchips into the backyard foodplot for organic matter. Winter liming over there too. Got a few treestands to move.

Need to get into shooting more. Rustier thn I like. Took a year off from bow hunting to let my torn bicep heal.

Season may drag on a bit. No deer yet. And I might get a PA january flintlock tag after a 4 year or so break thanks to skidoo and polaris.

Looking around for a local hunting clbu to join, so I can shoot often and locally.

Spring comes around I got dogwood to transplant, about a dozen grafted trees coming, and 15 roostocks to gorwpot and graft.

killing patches of AO and preparing soil at planting locations for 20-25 colossal chestnut and 25-30 hybrid white oak acorns via direct seeding ... plus preparing protection materials (cover hardware screen sections for nuts, competition elimination, plus cage construction and acquisition of t-posts. That's my aspiration level; actual performance may lag a little or a lot.
Oh, and build another shooter house!

If the snow doesn’t get too deep I want to
1. Cut some trees down where food plots will be going in next spring.
2. Work on some trail access to a couple of stands.
3. Drop some ladder stands and work on making them more quiet (plastic washers).
4. Pick and mark water tank locations.
5. Add a couple ladder stands

I already started cutting and stump spraying buckthorn and honeysuckle.
Order shrubs/trees for spring planting
Collect a bunch of dogwood and elderberry to try to establish in area forestry mulcher goes over.
Move treestands
Remove some coyotes
Cut down some balsams in the hardwoods

I don’t know I’m still hunting here. Although while sitting in my box blind I‘m killing time by thinking about which trees are going down and why around my stand LoL

Our rifle season is still in till Saturday with post Christmas archery to follow but I’ve made a little list so far…
1. Continue my battle with honeysuckle, but leave and/or hinge some down above my neighbors house for a screen
2. Locate some affordable priced and decent sized conifers to screen my front food plot from the road.
3. Cut firewood, including cutting down any past-prime trees still standing above my house
4. Lime food plots and take a soil sample of the plots above my house plus get spring seeds ordered (good discounts for early pre orders!)
5. Fruit tree pruning
6. Plant 7 Blue Hill trees when they arrive in the spring
7. Figure out how to add more cover to my woods/untouched hayfield
8. Stare out the window moping and looking at the dark and cold (as Pat McManus claimed, it was his winter hobby)…

My initial thoughts were to focus on clearing some autumn olive and grafting persimmons, but thinking about it more now. I probably need to do some scouting to figure out why older bucks don't appear to be bedding on the property despite some of the "improvements" I've done.

It's really great to get a picture of Spindley this year. He's now 5 years old and heading into year six. He's a really slow walker n kinda goofy but I'm glad he made it. I have watched him n his dad for many years now. He lives in an sphagnum swamp which no man can walk through. He's nothing great his body is bigger than last year but still not a deer we would take. Just nice to know he's there.

Attachments

• IMG_9149.jpg
    IMG_9149.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 21
I have decided to take the year off and regroup. Trying to decide which roller crimper for next year to purchase so I aincan say goodbye to that old piece of metal disc forever. No more bare soil in my future and way less work. I did learn something this year. I tried planting clover on a power line and keeping it mowed. Bad decision. Never again. It reduced crossing major time. Plus that takes away 3 acres of work which I can put into my main plots and bring deer to the center of my land.

In no particular order.....
Finish the elevated box blind for the kids.
Burn off some old brush piles.
Trap some predators (coons and coyotes) mostly for fun but maybe help the nesting and fawning success in the local area.
Burn off part of the pasture and remove the honey locust saplings.
Clear a small kill plot in the timber and seed with something.
Create a couple of bedding pockets in the timber.
Enhance the above bedding pockets with some woody browse species.
Overseed last years clover plots and increase the size of one of my food plots.
Kill off some cool season grass patches and replant with a forb blend.
Experiment with a tall sorghum screen on the north side of the farm that I can hide a ground blind in.
General TSI work.
Put in another watering tank.
Start building a new house.
Pray a lot more for rain!

Prune fruit trees.

Biggest project is to spray fescue in fields - again. I thought I had it pretty well whipped down. About ten acres of nwsg is now inundated with fescue

It is wet here. There will be miles of rut repair come next July when it dries out.

I have decided to take the year off and regroup. Trying to decide which roller crimper for next year to purchase so I aincan say goodbye to that old piece of metal disc forever. No more bare soil in my future and way less work. I did learn something this year. I tried planting clover on a power line and keeping it mowed. Bad decision. Never again. It reduced crossing major time. Plus that takes away 3 acres of work which I can put into my main plots and bring deer to the center of my land.

Last year I broke a rib on December 30. That forced my year off. It wasn’t at all a bad thing to let my previous improvements have an additional year and see how things were progressing. I think doing so has altered my plans for this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post season.......

Playing hunting hookie.. Was out all day yesterday, saw nothing. Came home 8pm and 3 deer laying down in my foodplot 50 yards from the driveway. Letting my local herd recover from EHD outbreak in 2020.

Moving some trees around at home. Wife wants a hot tub power recpticle for the the hunting "blind". Im sure someone in the history of hunting has shot a deer from a hot tub.

50 deg day in NY today.

1. Go to OZ and play golf. Spend time with other snow birds.
2. Read habitat ideas and talk smart on the inter-web sites.
3. Consider ordering some seeds. Put it off.
4. Play more golf and explore some jeep trails.
5. Work on golf game and go to more parties.
6. Rinse and repeat. Consider looking into a better diet. (Nah!)
7. When the snow is melted and the ice is out.....Mid May or so.....Go back to Deertopia and realize the fruits of your off-season labor. Or not.

1. Go to OZ and play golf. Spend time with other snow birds.
2. Read habitat ideas and talk smart on the inter-web sites.
3. Consider ordering some seeds. Put it off.
4. Play more golf and explore some jeep trails.
5. Work on golf game and go to more parties.
6. Rinse and repeat. Consider looking into a better diet. (Nah!)
7. When the snow is melted and the ice is out.....Mid May or so.....Go back to Deertopia and realize the fruits of your off-season labor. Or not.

I’m not there yet, my wife is ready though.

I’m not there yet, my wife is ready though.
Half of the state of Wisconsin is here in OZ. They even started a Sheepshead group which plays on Tuesday nights. I had not played in some time.....but fun to play again. Gotta take some Sconnie money at cards.....beacuse it has not worked so well betting on football. lol.

What is OZ in the US context?