Seniors Afield & Habitat Improvement

5 year old buck +
As this is a Habitat forum, I wanted to share of an initiative that comes with a challenge--taking seniors hunting. The ministry I oversee has been blessed with some great press of late, including Bass Pro Shops, The Conservationist Magazine and Quality Whitetails for our senior deer hunts. What is not mentioned in the articles are the countless hours of volunteers doing habitat improvement.

In 2022 we started the senior hunts at three locations. Time did not allow for habitat work, and over the course of three hunts, 11 senior hunters saw 7 deer. This year, just the first hunt resulted in 15 deer sightings (including one attempted harvest of a deer and another of a turkey using crossbows). What changed? Habitat improvement. The most impactful has been "bow areas burns" around blind locations. We also did some timber stand improvement and invasive species control, along with late season food plots at two locations we will hunt in December.

These hunts require time, planning and extensive effort, but the results are worth it, as can be seen from this article The Pathway published today. If you know a senior hunter who has not taken to the field for a few years due to the challenges of aging, consider enlisting some help and appropriate accommodations to reactivate them as hunters.

One of the biggest surprises has been the number of first time deer hunters. Among the 20+ seniors afield to date, 30% have never hunted for deer, and 20% have never hunted, period. Everyone involved (participants and volunteers) have enjoyed the experience--hardships and all. Best of all, these seniors are hands-down an effective tool for advocating for hunting and firearms as participants talk to their grandchildren and great-grandchildren about of the experience (which includes enjoying several venison dishes).

I hope you will consider a hunt with someone who has not gone afield recently. Take time to learn from them, and be sure to include a savory dish that includes venison.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 5.07.48 PM.png

Thank you for sharing this and for the gifts you provide. As I sit here enjoying coffee I am reminded of the good done by few for so many!

Reactions: 356
Keep up the good work. MY mom worked in a nursing home, waited for shift turnover to meet our babysiter from the previous shift. So, pretty much grew up in one. Alot of neglected folks in there, and ones that will be there soon. Me included some day......

Have a few older folks at camp. I put up a few ground blinds close to the club house. A few have enjoyed them over the years.

Give a few backstrap chunks and gound venison to some hunters of years past too.

Did a few guided pheasant hunts for wounded warriors a few years back. Those guys were great, regular clients not so much. Dodged too many 6 shot close calls to keep doing it. Picked pellets out of my dog twice. Ticks in NY are horrible too.

Keep up the good work. MY mom worked in a nursing home, waited for shift turnover to meet our babysiter from the previous shift. So, pretty much grew up in one. Alot of neglected folks in there, and ones that will be there soon. Me included some day......
We are hosting our forth and final senior hunt of the season this Thursday & Friday at our Mid-Missouri campus. We are using muzzleloaders for this event and have three seniors in their 80s and 90s hunting, including a woman and man who have never deer hunted. Two our our “mentors” for this hunt are staff members who were introduced to hunting through the field to fork events, and now are giving back, having found a new interest and appreciation for hunting and habitat. The menu for this event includes venison-bacon slap burgers with homemade fries, venison chili & cornbread, and stuffed backstraps with all the fixin’s. Our goal is to provide the senior hunters with great a “deer camp” experience.

Last edited:
^. This is the first time I have heard the term: "Slap burgers". Are they kinda like smash burgers? Or, how are they made??

^. This is the first time I have heard the term: "Slap burgers". Are they kinda like smash burgers? Or, how are they made??
About the same…diced bacon (cooked) is mixed into the venison burger, and a slapped on the grill that has diced carmalized onions already cooking. Like smash burgers, these are thin and go on a Hawaiian style bun.

About the same…diced bacon (cooked) is mixed into the venison burger, and a slapped on the grill that has diced carmalized onions already cooking. Like smash burgers, these are thin and go on a Hawaiian style bun.
I had to look up "Hawaiian style" buns too. lol Adding diced bacon sounds good.

Edit: RE: Your pictures above. I fashioned a quick attach bipod or monopod set up for my crossbow too (as shown in the pics above) and used my rapid pivot bipod for the supports. This was really a great product when I first introduced them and were 100% reliable.....until the folks I sold my biz to changed the polymers and screwed up the operation of these pods. Really disgusting how they ruined so many product designs in the name of saving a few pennies with cheaper components.

Reactions: 356
We wrapped up the final senior deer hunt last weekend. This deer showed two minutes before legal light, and left the plot one minute before legal light. The hunters (all women, all first time hunters) had a great time. The venison meals were a hit! The late season food plots were being used heavily by the deer. Over two 3 hour sits, three deer were seen, two does and one buck.

We also enjoyed a great article in Rural Missouri magazine about the Senior Deer Hunts. For 2024 we have several church-based men’s groups volunteering to assist with plot development.

image000000.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg