All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott's habitat improvements

That is some excellent growth on the ash. Do you see browse on the buds?

That is some excellent growth on the ash. Do you see browse on the buds?
Some on the lower branhes but not as much as I thought they would. I hinged some this winter and had them browsed.

Last year I tried hinging some trees on the edge of my switch grass field and while hunting this year I saw deer using it so yesterday I went and hinged some more for bedding.

I don't have a good pic of the before, here's a pic from a couple years ago. I hinged all the trees up on the hill and my switch starts where the trees end. This is the west fence line of our property, planted two rows of spruce between the hinging and the fence.

Dropped the trees and then cleaned out some branches for bedding.

this is a pic from last summer, same area.

What a change the seasons make, could you tell if this bedding area had been utilized?

What a change the seasons make, could you tell if this bedding area had been utilized?
Yea they are using it, take a look back to post #95, this isn't the best pic bit it's the area I hinged last year.

A month since my seedlings have been started.

Bur oak with reds in the back.

Sawtooth oaks

Dunstans

I made it out and did some frost seeding clover into my spent brassica plots today. Also took a walk around and cleaned up from stuff from over the winter.

Pretty much spent brassica plot, not much to work up so I just broadcast some clover and oats into it.

Standing the brassicas plot looking at the cereal grain plot.

Trail going through the woods, last years hinge cut on the right, Some of the dead Ash came down and I cleaned it up some plus worked on the bedding.

Found a button buck.

Water is something that we are missing on our property, 3 yrs ago I sunk some kiddie wading pools in around our food plots and they get used alot, didn't think they would last this long.

I want to get a pond dug in the area this summer when it dries up.

Wow you guys have lost basically all the snow. We still have about 6 inches left, when the snow is gone everything looks so bleak at first don't it, lost of grays. Then the green up starts and its such good habitat rush to see stuff growing. :)

Hinging looks great Scott. Hope mine gets that lush. I gotta try that mini pond thing in a couple of my high ground spots too.

Wow you guys have lost basically all the snow. We still have about 6 inches left, when the snow is gone everything looks so bleak at first don't it, lost of grays. Then the green up starts and its such good habitat rush to see stuff growing. :)
Yea the only snow we have right now is in the fence rows, there was still ice on all the water today but it was good just being out.

Hinging looks great Scott. Hope mine gets that lush. I gotta try that mini pond thing in a couple of my high ground spots too.
Thanks, I wish I would have done the pool thing years ago.

That hinging must make some good shade for the deer in summer heat. Looks like a great place to hang out for Mom & the little ones.

Been getting a little bit done but winter wants to hang on.

Got some cuttings and got them in the ground last week, had to change one spot because of the frost.

My Bur Gambel oaks planted 2yrs ago will be out of the tubes this year.

First try at Persimmons

Dunstans form Bigeight, I have to find a place to put these until they get outside, they've out grown my shelves.

Pulled cards last week

No snow on 3/30, cereal grain plot.

Couple inches of snow on 3/31 and a suprise. Not many daylight pics of these guys.

I've only seen a fox a few times. I've seen bobcats more than them! We've got a momma bobcat in our area though, and since we saw 2 babies I can assume there is a male somewhere. Kind of neat seeing them go after bunnies! Much better than the yotes.

I'm interested to see how your persimmons do. It'd be great if we could get them to fruit this far north, and I'm a bit farther south than you are, so if you can get them I should be able to!

As for snow, I had some in the woods last year in mid to late april. I pulled the 2nd week available to hunt, and there was still a few inches left. This year I'm doing the private land season the few weeks in May.

I've only seen a fox a few times. I've seen bobcats more than them! We've got a momma bobcat in our area though, and since we saw 2 babies I can assume there is a male somewhere. Kind of neat seeing them go after bunnies! Much better than the yotes.

I'm interested to see how your persimmons do. It'd be great if we could get them to fruit this far north, and I'm a bit farther south than you are, so if you can get them I should be able to!

As for snow, I had some in the woods last year in mid to late april. I pulled the 2nd week available to hunt, and there was still a few inches left. This year I'm doing the private land season the few weeks in May.
Yea I'm not sure how the Persimmons are going to do but I thought I would give them a try, keep ya posted.

Love the fox pic!

I got part of my trees this afternoon and got 100 of them in. I'm taking some more of my hay field back and planting trees and shrubs this year part of this I'm planting christmas trees.

The christmas trees

Where I planted in the field, one row of shrubs and 3 rows of trees.

Tried my new plug planting tool and I'm not sold on it, the drill works great for getting the holes in but the auger was just a bit too big and I had alot of work to get them in. It went well but wasn't any easier than a dibble.

Looks like things are starting to green up around there Scott. We need rain here!!

Looks like things are starting to green up around there Scott. We need rain here!!
Yea we got 2-3" of rain last week so things are a little damp now, last couple days have been in the 60's great habitat weather.

Are these all Christmas trees? It's funny that you've had to buy them as I've got 1000's that have self seeded! My problem is already being over 75% cover/woods, AND when I do need some it's getting enough of the rootball to move them.
I got part of my trees this afternoon and got 100 of them in. I'm taking some more of my hay field back and planting trees and shrubs this year part of this I'm planting christmas trees.

The christmas trees

Where I planted in the field, one row of shrubs and 3 rows of trees.

Tried my new plug planting tool and I'm not sold on it, the drill works great for getting the holes in but the auger was just a bit too big and I had alot of work to get them in. It went well but wasn't any easier than a dibble.