RR Beets Flopped

Roy-They grow very slow in the beginning. They hate weed competition so stay on top of that. Add Urea right before a rain. Don’t give up on em.

I know we all can't afford to be choosing beggars when it comes to rain, but if it was more than 3/4" of rain in the forecast, I would hold off on that app of urea. You will end up losing a bunch through leaching.

Can anyone share their source for RR or Liberty Ready Beet seed? Its likely to late for planting here in zone 5 for this year, but I would like to find some for next year.
Thanks

Can anyone share their source for RR or Liberty Ready Beet seed? Its likely to late for planting here in zone 5 for this year, but I would like to find some for next year.
Thanks
I wish you luck. Someone on here was generous enough to give me some. I sent some of that to another person on here. Before that I had a guy who was able to get some from a beet farmer in Western Minnesota but that connection isn't working out anymore. I would like to plant a 1/2 acre of them every year but cant find the seed either.

Ya that is all I am looking to try is 1/2 acre. I dont live to far from Welter Seed and Honey, they carry a ton of different seed. I have told them if they would stock the RR Beet seed that I think there would be a market for it for food plots. Apparently they checked on it and they would have to order an entire pallet and they dont think they could sell that much. I know a lot of people use them for food-plot seed, especially here in Iowa. I think if more people would show interest/suggest it they would be more apt to try a pallet.

Ya that is all I am looking to try is 1/2 acre. I dont live to far from Welter Seed and Honey, they carry a ton of different seed. I have told them if they would stock the RR Beet seed that I think there would be a market for it for food plots. Apparently they checked on it and they would have to order an entire pallet and they dont think they could sell that much. I know a lot of people use them for food-plot seed, especially here in Iowa. I think if more people would show interest/suggest it they would be more apt to try a pallet.

It isn't legal to plant RR sugar beets for food plots thus the reason seed is near impossible to come by.

Smokers have their weed guy, here on habitat talk, some folks have their "RR beet seed guy"

I got some this spring, but I don't know that it'll be available next year.

They're cool to grow from what I've heard, but from strictly a tonnage per acre and a hunting perspective, i'm guessing you'd probably do just as well with a purple top turnip.

Smokers have their weed guy, here on habitat talk, some folks have their "RR beet seed guy"

I got some this spring, but I don't know that it'll be available next year.

They're cool to grow from what I've heard, but from strictly a tonnage per acre and a hunting perspective, i'm guessing you'd probably do just as well with a purple top turnip.
If you have your fertility, population, and planting date optimal you can hit 50+ TONS per acre. The recorded record is 68 tons per acre of actual beets.

If you have your fertility, population, and planting date optimal you can hit 50+ TONS per acre. The recorded record is 68 tons per acre of actual beets.

that's a lot of beets. I don't think I"ll get that done this year

I have been doing PTT for the last couple years. I have been seeing everyone's posts here about the sugar beets and wanted to give them a try. The deer dont seem to hit my PTT's until really late winter, usually after season is over. When I was doing some research I thought I read that they lifted the restriction on planting RR Beets for a food plot? In the same token I cant remember what I did yesterday :emoji_thinking:

Roymunson, I had the identical experience as you! I planted 1/3 acre of RR beets about 4 weeks ago. They were from last year stored inside. I heard the seed coating will ruin the seed and that appears to be true! My plot as of 6/26... I found 1 beet lol
View attachment 24833

On the positive side the soil looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit my beets with some urea last night, as it was starting to rain/drizzle. Hoping that puts some pep in their step

If they didn’t fill out (a plant per square foot) I hope you over seeded them with something else. Also for the most sugar production beets should be starved of N at the end of their growth cycle.

Nice pic Nitro. Deer by me don’t hit much for plots until snow and single digits hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That plot is now a mix of Oats, PTT, and driller radishes.

I woulda loved to have some beets, but it wasnt to be

No beets at all or just sparse?

No beets at all or just sparse?

About 6 of them in the 2 acres.. probably an exageration, but there was nothing growing. What did, hadn't put on bulbs as of last week. I'm sure it was something I did, but I'm moving on.